PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations/preferences for clay pigeon shooting

Genepix
February 1, 2009, 06:09 PM
I am feeling the need to shoot clay pigeons- something I haven't done for many years. I lean toward over/unders, but really haven't looked at shotguns in ages. I would enjoy hearing from those of you who practice this sport, and which guns you prefer...Thanks in advance.

BigJimP
February 1, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm a Browning guy - and in an O/U I like a 30" barrel with screw in changeable chokes. I also prefer a comb that is parallel to the rib - so the sight picture does not change if you're shooting in a T shirt or a heavy winter coat. With an adjustable comb - you can adjust for cast on or off the stock and raise or lower it to adjust your point of impact ( so a parallel adjustable comb ) has a lot of adjustability.

In the Browning lineup, I like a gun for Skeet, hunting, and sporting clays in the 8 1/2 lb range - and to meet the above specs I like the XS Skeet or the XS Special models in 12 or 20 ga.

Beretta makes good guns / but parallel combs are not available on many models.

As a footnote - for Trap - I go to an O/U with 32" barrels and the Browning XT meets my needs. For Trap I like a heavier gun because you have less barrel movement in Trap left and right - so a heavier gun is not a liability.

The one semi-auto I like is the Benelli Super Sport - carbon fibre stock, with the comfort tech system in it, crio barrel, comes with 5 extended chokes and its a very good gun ( inertia system, so it shoots cleaner than any gas operated gun ). They make a 12ga in 28" or 30" and in this gun, because it's light, I like the 30" / they do make a 20ga but the longest they offer is a 28" barrel - there are optional comb pads and butt pads to adjust the fit and point of impact and length of pull - as well as shims between the stock and receiver. So there is a lot of adjustability in the Benelli Super Sport as well.

Have gun with your search. Try and shoot as many guns as you can / talk to a lot of guys at your local club - why they bought it, would they buy it again, etc ...

Genepix
February 1, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks Jim- Great info for sure...
Gene

LanceOregon
February 1, 2009, 08:27 PM
I am feeling the need to shoot clay pigeons- something I haven't done for many years. I lean toward over/unders, but really haven't looked at shotguns in ages. I would enjoy hearing from those of you who practice this sport, and which guns you prefer...Thanks in advance.

Gene, do you have a target price range or budget for this gun? Or is the sky the limit when it comes to cost? I could give you recommendations that could vary anywhere from $400 to $9,000

Competition O/U shotguns are a bit expensive. A gun like the Browning Citori XS, for example, is going to cost you well over $2,000 ( probably close to $2,200 ), unless you want to shop for a used one ( which is what I have done myself when buying most of my own expensive shotguns ). Even the Benelli Super Sport that was mentioned earlier is going to cost over $1,800 new.

So knowing what sort of budget you have would help in making a recommendation appropriate for your needs.

Also, does weight of the shotgun, and recoil matter much to you? Over/Unders typically weigh a lot more than semiauto shotguns. And even despite their heavier weight, felt recoil is substantially higher than shooting a semiauto. I'm in my late 50's myself, and appreciate having a lighter weight gun that does not hit my shoulder as hard. That is primarily why I prefer semiautos myself.

Genepix
February 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks Lance- Now that I've climbed into my 60's, I suppose I share your regard for weight/recoil after all....Hadn't really considered that...Regarding style of gun, I guess the over-unders always had a wonderful aesthetic that I admired. The reality is, I don't have any preference, just what works well in that kind of shooting arena. As for price, I would hope to stay under 1k, as shooting this gun would be merely an occasional recreation toy. I've looked at the higher end guns, and would love to own any number of them, but my practical side keeps the urge in check. I think your suggestion re: used is a good one. Thanks for any additional feedback.
Gene

Dustin0
February 2, 2009, 02:32 PM
I bust a alot of clays with an 870. Hoping to upgrade to a 90T soon.

JWT
February 2, 2009, 03:22 PM
I started out with a nice used Remington 1100 classic trap and still have it as a back up. Nice gun, lots of them around, dependable, light recoil, and reasonable priced. Might be worth a look, but there are lots of good guns for trap available in the price range you have.

The Browning BT-99 is a good single barrel trap gun - if you don't want to shoot doubles and also readily available in good used guns.

BigJimP
February 2, 2009, 06:33 PM
In my area Gene,

Both of the Browning's I recommended are part of the Citori lineup:
List price on the Browning XS Skeet or the XS Special, with the adjustable combs is about $ 3,100 / but both of them are selling new around here for about $ 2,800 . I do see an occasional used XS Skeet model for sale, pretty clean, for about $ 2,250 - $ 2,500 .

The other gun I recommended is the Benelli Super Sport - and new in my area its selling for about $ 1,875 / and I did pick up a used one about 2 months ago for $ 1500 ( but I don't see hardly any of them around used ).

I'm not saying you can't be sucessful with a pump gun or anything else if it fits you right / but all 3 of the guns I've mentioned will have a significant resale value if you decide to get out of the game in a few years / or they will last for many generations if you pass them on.

I'm approaching 60 myself / and recoil is a factor for all of us / but the heavier the gun the better in terms of reducing recoil. I also don't go for real heavy loads - my primary load is 1 oz of 8's at about 1225 fps - and it works very well for Sporting, Skeet and Trap back to the 20 yard line. Reloading of couse is a big part of the hobby, even today, but that's another discussion.

Waterengineer
February 2, 2009, 07:16 PM
+1 Supersport - you my think it is expensive (I do) but it is a great gun - very adjustable.

+1 Browning O/U

Also, on this tier are the Beretta O/U's

For "reasonable cost" those are first tier.

Next down the tier list I would put

Remington 1100
Remington STS
Winchester Select Energy

Winchester Select Energy's can be found at an extremely reasonable cost.

There are many others but this list is a place to start.

Let us know what you get.

Genepix
February 2, 2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys- I will enjoy the hunt....

RoscoeC
February 2, 2009, 11:00 PM
A little over a year ago, I found myself in your position. I started off with an 870, and gave it up because 150 rounds made my left elbow sore as all get out. I found a very nice 11-87 Premier that was beautiful. It was also a jamomatic.

I found a used Beretta A390 for $450.00, with 30" barrel. Man I love this thing. It has enough adjustment in the stock to make it fit most folks of normal stature. I have put probably 2000+ rounds through it, and it has never failed in any way.

I have tried a couple of over / unders and the recoil is noticeably more than the gas operated guns.

At the club where I usually shoot the ratio is about 60% autos, and 40% over / unders with a smattering of pump guns. Of the autos, probably 75% of those are Berettas.

Point I am making is you can get a best of bread autoloader for ~ $500.00 used, or around $1000.00 new. It won't beat you up either.

Nothing wrong with a nice over / under, I would love to have one, but I am so pleased with the A390, and shoot it so well, I have given up on the over / under for now.

Maybe one of these days, but for now, I'm liking the Beretta gas operated autoloader.

Genepix
February 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks Roscoe-great info....

olddrum1
February 4, 2009, 01:07 AM
In your search for a shotgun you might want to check out the SKB brand for shooting Skeet or Sporting clays. If you are shooting trap, before you make a decision, go to one of the major trap shoots in your state and take a look at what everyone is shooting. I would suggest a BT99 as a good gun to go with.

Waterengineer
February 4, 2009, 10:29 AM
A BT99 or a BT100 is a very excellent entry level trap gun.

BigJimP
February 4, 2009, 03:07 PM
Like Waterengineer says - a Browning BT-99 or a BT-100 is a fine single barrel Trap gun ( but you can't shoot Sporting Clays, Skeet, Continental Trap or Trap Doubles with a single barrel ) ...

The older BT-100 is my personal choice of the two - and I was just looking at mine the other day, had it out of the safe for the first time in over a year probably ........ its a great gun / but very specialized - and frankly I just don't shoot it too often ( but I'm not a serious Trap Shooter either ) - I'm more into Skeet and Sporting Clays - and a little field hunting.