PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother rifle..Which one?

MosinM38
February 1, 2009, 01:51 PM
Okay...Feeling a urge to add #2 to the semi-auto collection. :D

I got a Mini-14 after starting a thread here. I had planned on a AR at the time, but the Mini was brand new with scope and mag for $400. Turned out to be a minor hassle. It wouldn't eject ANY empties.

Turned out that the recoil spring was too strong. Swapped it with dad's mini and now it works like a charm. Has nice little 1 1/2" groups with el-cheapo Wolf ammo at 100 yards too.

Anyway. Thinking on adding another one sometime.....More as a "Extra" than an actual NEED.

Okay....Basically I was looking over 5 candidates and I didn't see alot of topics on these specific questions.

#1. The Golani copies of the Galils. Apparently early they had some problems, but now are not too bad? Has anyone had experiance with them? Shoot decent?

I think the Golani's need Galil magazines and not AR's. Also, how easy is it to mount a scope?

#2. How good are the Cetme/FAL combo's I see around? Last few gunshows there was been a few floating around that look like the weird offspring of a FAL and Cetme(In both .223 and .308). I think they are made by Century International, and they cost about $600 VS the AR's and $500 AKs (That really only are worth $300).

Can they be scoped, and which magazines do they use? I really don't know what to think on them, because I don't know anyone who has one. They SHOULD be okay, but CIA has a 50-50 reputation. But I am not even sure it is made by them.

#3. The AR-180B is sort of appealing to me. Using a standard AR-15 trigger group, and able to use AR-15 magazines is a big plus. It takes a unique scope mount, but. They seem to be about the same price, a little more than a GOOD AR-15.

The AR-15 and It are about the same in terms of reliability? Or is the 180B a improvement in that department? The 180B can be scoped easily and that gives it an advantage over the Galil and FAL variants (I assume they are tough to scope?)

#4. I was thinking of the next gun being an AK-47. Either staying with the .223 of moving up to the 7.62X39.

Are the Wasr-10's REALLY that bad? And if so, what are the odds that the $600-$700-$800 AK's are really that much better?

#5. Is the FN-FAL capable of being easily scoped? Also which is more common in the US? The Metric or Inch version....Sorta confusing, but the FAL is still a neat gun.

Many thanks on the help. I figure if I am gonna be spending the $900-$1200 I better get opinions :)

P.S. Also on terms of availability, how easy are parts to obtain for guns such as the FN-FAL/, Galil, Cetme,etc? I am looking ahead to when those may be tough to come by.

P99AS9
February 1, 2009, 02:26 PM
I can answer #4:

WASR AK variants have the worst fit and finish of all AK variants, but will function the same. Sometimes WASR's can have canted sights, so make sure to check the rifle your buying if your buying FTF.

I own a Lancaster AK and I am very pleased with it. I bought it for $500 on Atlantic Firearms. Romanian AK's have a reputation for having a bad fit and finish, but I believe people just associate all Romanian made ones with WASR's.

If you want a REAL top-of-the-line AK, and don't have too much of a budget, most people consider the Polytech Legend's and the Valmet's to be some of the best out there.

MosinM38
February 1, 2009, 04:40 PM
mmm..

So basically the cheaper ones have more opportunity to be "looser" and group a inch or two wider, or have minor defects.

I guess that's a gun I'll definately examine FTF rather than gunbroker or auctionarms.

P99AS9
February 1, 2009, 09:39 PM
So basically the cheaper ones have more opportunity to be "looser" and group a inch or two wider, or have minor defects.

Exactly. If you can get a nice WASR than go for it! Don't get me wrong, they're still great rifles and are loads of fun at the range, but just have some minor defects. I know many people who own WASR's and love them, and I'm sure you'd be happy with any AK you get.

noyes
February 1, 2009, 09:55 PM
That's quite a verity.

That would be a very, very, very hard choose .Unless you want it to take a little more of a specific roll. I like them all.

MosinM38
February 1, 2009, 10:17 PM
Exactly. If you can get a nice WASR than go for it! Don't get me wrong, they're still great rifles and are loads of fun at the range, but just have some minor defects. I know many people who own WASR's and love them, and I'm sure you'd be happy with any AK you get.

Lol, probably. If I ended up going for the AK, it wouldn't be the accuracy. It'd be more of a venture to keep ammo companies in business ;)

And Noyes: Yeah...quite a variety. I guess my experiance is limited to AR-15s and Mini-14s, and only a couple of AK's so...Outside of what someone else says ;) Don't know a thing about most of the others.