PDA

View Full Version : Is this stovepiping?

alclarkey
February 1, 2009, 05:06 AM
I've had this problem a couple of different times now with my new pistol, where an unshot cartridge gets stuck between the slide and the breech pointing upward. What is going on when this happens?

44 AMP
February 1, 2009, 05:41 AM
It is a failure to feed. Stovepiping is when a fired case get caught between the barrel and slide (pointing up, like a stovepipe). It is a failure to eject.

Your problem could be the magazine releasing its hold on the round too soon, or it could be the feedramp/bullet interface, not allowing the round to smoothly slide into the chamber, instead kicking it up at too steep an angle, so the slide traps the round instead of feeding it into the chamber.

First thing to do is try different ammo. If it still does it, try a different magazine. If you still have the problem, seek a professional gunsmith, or return the gun to the factory for repair.

shortwave
February 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
Good advice 44 Amp. alclarkey, in order first on a new gun is a thorough cleaning of weapon and MAGS. After cleaning mags,if problem still exist,(if you`ve got two) load them with same ammo,run them and see if you`re getting FTF with both. If just with one(mag) chances are its the mag. If gun only came with one mag, buy another,clean it and try. You`ll probably buy extra mags sooner or later anyway,especially if your going to carry same weapon. If problem still exist with both mags after cleaning them(as 44amp stated) try different ammo or send gun back for repairs Curious, what gun and ammo are you shooting?

alclarkey
February 2, 2009, 10:05 PM
It's the Sig P6 with the 115gr 9mm luger rounds.

RoscoeC
February 2, 2009, 11:04 PM
Don't ride the slide. Let it fly.

luvsasmith
February 2, 2009, 11:34 PM
Let me know if you want to sell that P6

alclarkey
February 4, 2009, 01:40 AM
Don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon. I like it alot. But thanks for the offer.:cool: