PDA

View Full Version : Purchased my first Ithaca 37 pump today.

roach4047
January 31, 2009, 08:04 PM
Picked it up @ Columbus OH gunshow. Appears to be an older model 37. Refinished wood. How can I determine when this was manufactured? I've looked the gun over and can't see a serial # any where on it. It's still hidden in the van for now. I can't bring it in untill after the wifey goes to bed or I'll be in the dog house...hehehe. I'm sure some of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Any how. How can I best determine the age of the gun?
Pump 37 featherlight has scenery on each side of the frame. The fore grip isn't like the corncob that I've commonly seen.

2 3/4" full removable barrel. Capable of shooting slugs???

What would this shot gun be best suited for?

If that barrel won't serve the purpose of shooting slugs then I guess I'll soon be in the market for a slug barrel.

Is there somewhere I should be looking to locate a serial # because I can't seem to locate one anywhere on it....

Paid $225.00 I thought that was a pretty decent price.

Roach

jrothWA
February 1, 2009, 01:11 AM
is it on the right receiver flat above the trigger, then a post 1963(>855,000SN)
Does it have the digits 37 leading off the SN? mid-70's

is the on the right front receiver face, next to the mag tube? pre1963

Does the barrel have a SN about the five o'clock position, and DOES it match the receiver number? it doe good.
IT DOESN'T, get to a smith and have the head-space check, as in the pre-63's, each barrel was specific for the receiver.
after 1963, the new thread type minimized the variation and allowed barrel inter-changeability.

Icopy1
February 3, 2009, 05:40 PM
The barrel can shoot slugs. Don't worry about that. What you should look for is the "auto trigger". With the older model 37s, you can hold the trigger back and the gun will fire everytime you pump it. It can be very exciting if you're not aware of it beforehand.

Crosshair
February 3, 2009, 08:04 PM
Is it a real 37 or a clone? Some of them didn't serial number their guns as it wasn't required until 1968.

roach4047
February 4, 2009, 12:22 PM
I found the Seriel # and the reciever and the barrel both match. Gun was produced in 63 I'm told.

Roach

Crosshair
February 4, 2009, 02:50 PM
OOOO, a Pre-73 model. Try pumpfiring the gun at the range. That's always fun to do.:D

protectedbyglock
February 5, 2009, 02:07 PM
Good find, roach. I Got the exact same deal at a show a couple years ago.
I love my Ithacas.
Yeah, you gotta try the slam-firing. If it's a '63 it should do it. I have a 1948 20ga that's a blast to slam...
Slugs are no problem.
Post a couple pics, if you can.