PDA

View Full Version : .223/5.56 Ammo Choices

B. Lahey
January 31, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm building a full-size Colt AR with a 20" 1-in-7" barrel and finally have all my parts in hand. All there is to do now is wait for my 6721 base-rifle to show up and, of course, stockpile ammo for that fine day when the project is complete.

So far I have rounded up a variety of milsurp ammo and some Fiocchi Exacta 69gr Matchking, but I need more. I would like to try a wide variety of ammunition to see what it likes best.

What do y'all feed your 1-in-7" ARs?

Tell me about your favorite ammo so I can try some.

kraigwy
January 31, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have a White Oak upper, 1 in 7 I use for Service Rifle Shooting. White recommended 77s for 2 -300 yards and 80 SMKs for 600 and 1000. I noticed that seemed to be what most high power shooters were using, so I went that route ( I was primarily a M1A/M14 High Power shooter).

I've found that worked quite well in my rifle as well with most of the people I shoot with.

But take into account all rifles are differant so I'd recommend get a box of everything you and find, try them with differant components and see what works for you and your rifle.

Para Bellum
January 31, 2009, 03:38 PM
So far, I like the Federal LE223T3 best.
Check this out, it's very informative:

http://le.atk.com/pdf/223RifleDataBook.pdf

B. Lahey
February 1, 2009, 01:09 PM
I won't be able to shoot it at more than 300 yards until next summer probably, so I'll see if I can track down some 77gr matchking loads for the time being.

Anyone know where I can get some? I figure the Black Hills SMK loads would be just the ticket, but nobody seems to have them in stock.

That Federal load looks promising too. This will mostly be a paper punching rifle, but it's always good to have some hunting/SD ammo around anyway. Couldn't find anyone selling that one either, though.

Where are y'all getting your top-notch .223 ammo from?

I don't load my own... yet.:)