PDA

View Full Version : Toughest DIY finish?

woodland
January 27, 2009, 02:50 PM
I am going to do some refinishing of a few of my rifles. I want a really tough durable finish, probably in a matte black.

I know there are a lot of choices out there. I was wondering if anyone has any preferences or experience with any. My main desire is for durability and all weather protection.

I am going to start with an old SKS that I have. It will be my test subject, as I don't really care if it turns out nice. It will just be my learning canvas.

TheManHimself
January 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
Moly resin or Duracote - take your pick.

woodland
January 27, 2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks. I have been reading up on the Duracote, and that looks like some good stuff. I think I may go that route.

Bill DeShivs
January 27, 2009, 09:13 PM
Duracoat is not exactly DIY, unless you have a sandblaster and know how to parkerize.

Scorch
January 27, 2009, 10:47 PM
GunKote.

Gideon46
January 27, 2009, 10:51 PM
Duracoat. Sandblasting would certainly help in surface prep depending on what surface you're talking about but it may not be absolutely essential. However, it is essential with Duracoat that you use an air brush/compressor set up to apply it if you want professional results.

There's some good sites on the web. What surface are you thinking of coating? Remember that surface imperfections will be amplified through the finish, hence, the value in beadblasting.

God Bless
Gideon