PDA

View Full Version : kirst converter ?black poweder or smokeless?

tiberius10721
January 24, 2009, 10:49 PM
dumb question but i wana know if when using a kirst converter are the cartriges gonna be filled with black powder or are they filled with light loads of modern day smokeless powder? Im figuring i could use light loads of smokeless powder but i just wana make sure so i dont blow myself up!:D

w_houle
January 24, 2009, 11:00 PM
I would say that just as long as it fits that there shouldn't be any reason you can't use factory loaded ammunition loaded with smokeless. I don't have a Kirst, but have an R&D cylinder on my Pietta. It likes factory loaded .45 Schofields, but doesn't like .45 Colts due to it not liking the OAL. If you mean doing a conversion to .38 spl, I don't see any reason you can't run Remington green/ white 158gr LRN. but accuracy will suffer if you don't line the barrel. Oh, what do you want to convert?:p

tiberius10721
January 24, 2009, 11:22 PM
im eventually gonna convert my uberti 1858 remington 44 i want the kirst conversion with the side gate

w_houle
January 24, 2009, 11:33 PM
I am not 100% on this, but I think you should be able to run .45 Colt through it, just so long as you don't fire any .45 Colt that is loaded with jacketed ammunition, you should be fine:)

Hawg
January 24, 2009, 11:37 PM
You can use smokeless as long as you keep them light. Don't go over factory pressures and you'll be ok. BP is more funner tho.:D

tiberius10721
January 25, 2009, 12:51 AM
ur right about black powder being fun.next week im going to try firing my remmy in an indoor range just once to see if anybody notices all the smoke.:D

Don H
January 25, 2009, 01:41 AM
next week im going to try firing my remmy in an indoor range just once to see if anybody notices all the smoke.
Depending on how much unburnt smokeless powder is on the floor, folks might be noticing a lot more. :D

mykeal
January 25, 2009, 08:13 AM
next week im going to try firing my remmy in an indoor range just once to see if anybody notices all the smoke.

That's not really very nice. You may think it's fun, but others might not. Indoor ranges are required to have ventilation to remove fumes, and very few are designed to handle black powder smoke. They're there for health reasons; there are people in the population who have asthma and other breathing difficulties and they would be at the least inconvenienced and at the worst could have serious breathing problems. Shutting down the range until the fans can clear it out and others can breathe normally is not fun, it's just mean.

Hawg
January 25, 2009, 08:29 AM

Not a good idea for the reasons Mykeal stated. Management might even ask you to leave. At the very least you'll be talked to.

B.L.E.
January 25, 2009, 10:21 AM
I loaded a box of .357 magnums with black powder and asked the indoor range owner if that would be a problem and he said, "no problem, go ahead". For health reasons, indoor ranges are well ventilated with the air travelling downrange away from the shooter. I didn't even come close to filling up the range with smoke, it cleared away so fast.

I would rather shoot next to a black powder shooter than next to someone shooting a belted magnum with a muzzle brake or an AK-47 with that gas tube blowing a high pressure blast to the side of the gun and ejecting brass across my line of sight.

It's always good to ask first, they'll probably let you.

sundance44s
January 25, 2009, 01:16 PM
No doubt ...I fired 6 rounds of black powder off at an indoor range once ( with permission of course ) so I did ask first ..........
After the 6th round , ever one ran out of the range gaging while I stood there breathing deep trying to filter the fine smell ...with a big grin on my face :D .......when the smoke cleared I packed up my B/P loads and shot some smokeless with the rest of the smokeless crowd ....Just load some somkeless loads with lead flat nose bullets and TrailBoss powder and it`s plenty of fun for indoor range use ...Save the B/P loads for the great outdoors .

mykeal
January 25, 2009, 06:28 PM
...For health reasons, indoor ranges are well ventilated with the air travelling downrange away from the shooter.

Your generalization may apply to the range where you shoot, but I can assure you that it does not apply to all indoor ranges.

sundance44s
January 26, 2009, 07:02 AM
No doubt indoor ranges are not created equal ..The indoor range I use , is in poor repair , not so good ventailation , heating system is poor ...so why do I use it ...well ..they only charge 10 bucks for all you can stand ...plus I get free coffee and good conversation .
Rangemasters here charges 50 bucks , and there`s always a waiting list to get a shooting bay ....if they aren`t teaching a shooting class ..

Singlesix1954
January 31, 2009, 11:28 AM
I love to shoot the Holy Black. Freedom is one thing but manners are important. Don't be the guy that makes the rest of us look like dorks.
Your actions have reactions. If you are thinking of dooing something that might pissoff the people around you, then it probably will. You need to think of other shooters as a group that you are lucky to be part of. So don't do anything to tarnish the image that makes the shooters of this country a family! One thing is the day you go to the indoor range with black loads to smoke up the place, might be the same day some uncle has his 12 year old niece there for the first time. You could wreck the whole thing and be the maker of a brand new antigun voter. Think first.