PDA

View Full Version : My First Range Report

Brian Pfleuger
January 23, 2009, 05:41 PM
Since I just got my permit and gun, I thought I'd give my impressions for all the other "newbies" floating around. Also, this should give the venerable veterans a good chance to grill me.:D

So, my weapon for the day is a Glock 33, because, well, it's all I got!

Magazines: Oow baby those springs are stiff! I had a heck of a time getting the floorplate off to install my Pearce +0 grip extension but I did finally get it. I didn't try the Glock magazine loader. I put one round in by hand, just to see, and then went straight for my Uplula Universal Loader. If you don't have one, get one. It's awesome. Spend time shooting not loading.

Recoil: I was a bit apprehensive. Recoil doesn't bother me per say but I was a little afraid that it would be severe enough with such a tiny gun and a powerful cartridge that it would not be fun to shoot. Boy was I wrong. My impression is that the recoil was equal to or less than that of a full size Glock flavored in 40S&W. Pleasantly surprising. I did not feel any appreciable difference in controllability with or without the grip extension. I did get bit very slightly once by the gap between the magazine and the grip, hardly noticeable and it was just because of bad finger position. Like every Glock I have ever fired, the trigger seems "abrasive" and bothers my finger a bit after a few rounds. It doesn't really hurt and doesn't continue to get appreciably worse so I don't worry about it. It goes away completely within 10 minutes or so of stopping.

Accuracy: Well, I'm the weak link here for sure so I'll not make any real attempt to critique the gun. Many of you reading this fire more rounds in a week than I have in my life. I was shooting at 7 yards. Here are my first two magazines, fired with Georgia Arms "Canned Heat":
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41363&stc=1&d=1232748906

I switched to my "carry ammo", being CCI Gold Dot:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41363&stc=1&d=1232748906

and one more, with the Gold Dot, semi-rapid fire:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41365&stc=1&d=1232748906

Also in the accuracy department, I switched to my 5 inch Lone Wolf barrel and fired a magazine full at an arrow nock in a piece of styrofoam at the same 7 yards. I have to say that either I was getting used to the gun or the longer barrel is MUCH more accurate. I hit the knock on or about shot 5, after emptying the mag, my entire group, minus 1 flyer, was only about 2 1/2 inches. I couldn't get a good pic on the white styrofoam so you'll just have to trust me.

Reliability: Well, if I could borrow a quote from PBP "What's to say? It's a Glock, boring in it's reliability." I fired only 4 mags due to time constraints but I had no issues of any kind. I did find itt interesting that all the shells would land about 6 feet or so away until the last one in the mag, it went all but straight up, landing about 2 feet away. Every mag did that, I assume it's a result of nothing pushing from underneath on it's way up?

Finally, a review of my Crossbreed Supertuck holster:
It's very comfortable when standing. If it's between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clok it's ok for sitting. Anywhere else and it either bites into my thigh or makes a painful bump in my back. I suppose that is more just what happens when carrying than it is holster specific.
It holds the gun extremely well. A very solid a sure "click" type seating, you can definately feel the gun snap into place. It is rock solid for running, jumping, generally playing around with my 2 year old with no worries of the gun falling out. Somehow, it still manages to be quick on the draw, almost like it just lets go.
The bad? Well, IMO, it is anything but "tuckable". I can hide it very easily with a t-shirt and untucked, unbuttoned, dress shirt or even with a reasonably loose t-shirt untucked with no over shirt but, tuckable? No way. Anybody I talked to would be like "Is that a gun or are you just happy to see me?"

One more thing, a question for those that have bothered to read this far;). The primer strikes all appear to be slightly oblong, almost like the pin is still in contact when extraction occurs. I can't get a picture where you can see it so I have to just describe it. Where as my rifles all make a perfectly round dent, these are almost tear shaped. Is that type of primer strike normal for a Glock?

David Armstrong
January 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
The oblong primer strike is normal for a Glock. But I've got to ask...what kind of target paper are you shooting!?!

Brian Pfleuger
January 23, 2009, 06:17 PM
what kind of target paper are you shooting!?!

Ah! That's a sheet pizza box.:D;) It a actually has everything you'd want in a target. A big circle with little circles inside it, perfect little contrasting squares. Even a triangle pointing to the center of the circle for an aim point. It's great.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41370&stc=1&d=1232752645

Officer's Match
January 23, 2009, 07:00 PM
Seems somehow appropriate. :D

ElectricHellfire
January 23, 2009, 08:03 PM
I was gonna ask that too. :D

Nice work there! Enjoy your Glock.

Stan200
January 24, 2009, 01:18 AM
Pizza box....Brilliant!

Nice range report

Smaug
January 24, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nice review. One suggestion: crop that picture to remove the "1F" mark, and claim your group is in millimeters. :D

I was going to ask if that was a pizza box too. Good thinking.

Glocks are good guns. The trigger is abrasive to me, but like you said, not overly so, and I sure wouldn't notice if I had to shoot it in a life-or-death situation.

The trick to shooting Glocks accurately is to be able to control the muzzle movement when the spongy trigger breaks. If you can do that, you're golden. The gun design is solid.

Sometimes, in a small way, I envy you New Yorkers. While it is a kick in the nuts to have to fight to buy a gun, it kind of forces you to keep the "collecting" side of it down and focus on shooting the gun that you have. You may end up more proficient with your 33 than a lot of us with lots of guns.

How about some pix of the gun, holster, and grip extension with the "target."

Brian Pfleuger
January 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
One suggestion: crop that picture to remove the "1F" mark, and claim your group is in millimeters.

I almost took you up on that but that would make the bullet hole about the size of BBs!

Sometimes, in a small way, I envy you New Yorkers. While it is a kick in the nuts to have to fight to buy a gun, it kind of forces you to keep the "collecting" side of it down and focus on shooting the gun that you have. You may end up more proficient with your 33 than a lot of us with lots of guns.

Actually, once we get the permit, getting guns is pretty easy. Some counties will issue coupons allowing the new guns to be picked up immediately and registered on your permit within 10 days. We also have NO expiration date on our permits, which is great. Getting the permit can be troublesome but once you have it your golden.

How about some pix of the gun, holster, and grip extension with the "target."

All you gotta do is ask!;)

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41401&stc=1&d=1232832131

dave421
January 25, 2009, 12:04 AM
Looks good for your first time out. You'll be closing those groups up in no time. Enjoy that new Glock.

Also, I think you can swap out the trigger with an older one. I'm not the most knowledgeable Glock guy but if I'm not mistaken, they switched to a lined trigger a few years ago from a smooth trigger. I want to say that you can pick up the old style (or modified new ones or aftermarket) and replace it to see if that helps. It's a Glock so it should be fairly easy & cheap. Ask some of the Glock guys to see if they can tell you for sure.