PDA

View Full Version : First range trip after CZ home trigger job

Ace_Breaker
January 23, 2009, 10:27 AM
Well, I got bored on day and attempted my first trigger job. I followed all the steps at the CZ forum to complete a home trigger job on my CZ 75B. I also went with a 15lb hammer spring. I didn't go crazy on polishing too much off the parts. More of a quick smooth out with something like 1500 grit sandpaper. The biggest change was putting in the lighter spring. An amazing change! The double action is the best of any handgun I have now. The single action is up there.

The first part of the trigger job being done I headed for the range. I was a little nervous about the primers going off with the lighter hammer spring. The 15lb hammer spring does seem to be the preferred option to lightening up the trigger. I put about 250 rounds of Federal ammo throuh it. I did have one failure to feed(maybe a little polish on the feed ramp is in order now). As far as the trigger job is concerned it went absolutely perfect. All primers went off just fine. I have a quality trigger job on my CZ 75B .40 for a total cost of around $10.

I always seem to get one failure to feed in every few hundred rounds. Not sure if that is normal to expect something like that. The feed ramp seems fine, maybe a new mag spring is needed? Not really sure what to think of it. I consider it trustworthy but it would be nice to have it at 100% all of the time.

On another note, the CZ P-01 I took shot absolutely flawless. Not one glitch since custom barrel work from CZ. Great handguns.

SDDL-UP
January 24, 2009, 01:19 AM
Good job!

Shortening the hammer hooks can really change things, namely you can cause the trigger to fall into DA mode, and/or you can cause the hammer to fall only to the half-cock notch without enough overtravel. These things can be fixed, but it does get more complicated, and if you don't know how to check for these things you might not even be aware they are happening.

Installation of the 15lb. mainspring is an easy recommendation - it makes a huge difference in my experience. My CZ-85 COMBAT has the best DA of any gun I own. I've tried only a S&W Custom Shop competition gun (revolver, DA only)that was better, and it was a phenomenal trigger.

A factory CZ is a great gun, but a tuned CZ..... WOW!

Ace_Breaker
January 24, 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks, I was very nervous about taking material off of anything for some of the reasons you mention. The polish job seems to have done a great job so far, but I can see how shortening the hooks would make the single action even nicer. I just don't think I'll do any more except a light polish in the future. I have gotten my hands on a custom 85 that had been tuned by Angus, didn't get to shoot it but the double action was amazing when I tried it out.

chris in va
January 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
I installed a 16# hammer spring a couple years ago and haven't had any issues with light strikes. Wish I could get the sear tuned though, has a lot of creep.

schmeky
January 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
A factory CZ is a great gun, but a tuned CZ..... WOW!

No doubt. CZ's can be a diamond in the rough. My CZ-40B with a competition hammer and 15# mainspring has the lightest, smoothest, DA of any auto-loader I have ever felt. Ever. It's so light and smooth, I swear it's better than my coveted S&W 586 .357.

When cycling the action on this CZ, you would never believe it would ignite a primer, but it does 100%.

Sturmgewehre
January 25, 2009, 11:40 AM
Your CZ failing to feed every couple hundred round with what I presume to be factory ball ammo is not normal. There is something wrong with the pistol. I would check it out and see if you can figure out where the round might be hanging up during feeding.

Can you describe the failure to feed?

Ace_Breaker
January 25, 2009, 07:40 PM
The only thing I shoot through it is Federal Premium Tactical and Speer Gold Dot. I don't shoot ball ammo.

I think, if memory serves, the last one hung low on the feed ramp but I can't recall exactly. I put quite a bit of ammo down range and was testing a Sig P6 that couldn't shoot HP's, so quite a few feeding issues that day. I'll pay more attention next time though. Maybe it's a recoil spring issue or a mag spring issue? Looking at the feed ramp it is almost like a mirror finish, nice and smooth. So I'm thinking it's not that.

1SOW
January 25, 2009, 11:42 PM
I did my 9mm 75B using the CZForum info.. I used some white rouge and a loose flap wheel after 1200 grit paper & bevelled and polished the battery. I had about 1+% light strikes with the 15# hammerspring, went to the 16# and never had another problem.

Ace_Breaker
January 26, 2009, 08:21 AM
So far the 15lb spring has been 100% for me. I did buy a spring kit just in case though. I would just like to figure out that rare failure to feed to make this 100% all of the time. Thanks

Pilot
January 26, 2009, 08:44 AM
What is the standard mainspring of the CZ-75B? 19 lbs?

Ace_Breaker
January 26, 2009, 05:41 PM
The factory standard is 20lbs.

Pilot
January 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks Ace!