PDA

View Full Version : Hard to Find Ammo - Obama question

Jasper616
January 20, 2009, 09:58 PM
My local range is totally sold out of ammo in all common calibers. They said it has been flying off of the shelves lately faster than they can stock it. My local gun shop says that since Obama was elected they have sold more guns than ever. I know Obama is not pro gun but what do people see happening now that he's in office?

chris in va
January 20, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thread will be locked soon, but...

It's not so much Obama as the fact the Democrats have control now, all three branches. They don't have a stellar record for gun rights, and many (including myself) believe they'll go after ammunition next in their effort to keep citizens from using firearms. Guns may be protected by the 2nd, but not what feeds them.

Matter of fact, CA recently banned lead ammunition in certain areas, and also completely banned the 50...guns AND ammo.

ipscchef
January 20, 2009, 10:47 PM
One more reason to reload!!

I did not know that one was allowed to posess ammo or firearms in SanFranscsco!
My condolences.

csmsss
January 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
Let's just say that the idea that an expansion of your rights/liberties to own and carry firearms, and to purchase ammunition, is unlikely to happen in the next four years, and possibly much longer than that. Folks (including myself) are erring on the side of paranoia, which may or may not prove to be valid. In the very best case, we'll have overpaid for firearms, ammunition and reloading supplies. In the worst case? Well...those folks who stocked up may at some point be the only source of useful firearms and ammunition around.

redlevel42
January 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
Even if you think you paid "too much" for ammo now, even if there isn't any restrictive legislation, in a year or three, it will seem like a bargain. I have a good many primers I hoarded in 93 and 94 during the Clinton scare. Looking at the boxes, about the most I paid was $11.95, and some I got for less than $10.00. Same with ammo. I have bricks of .22 Cyclones I paid $7.95 for.

Another way I look at it: I hope to retire in a year or two. Even if the price does go down, I can afford it easier now than I will be able to when I'm on retirement pay. I'd rather stockpile some ammo now and not have to worry about buying it on retirement income.

What I need to do is convert some of the powder/primers/cases/bullets I have hoarded over the years into loaded ammo.

RJM
January 21, 2009, 07:49 AM
I think things will get back to normal after a few months. Use this time as a learning experience to stock up on ammo for your favorite guns. For me, this means stocking up on primers, brass, bullets and powder for .38 special and .357mag and having enough .380acp ammo for my sig P232s. These are the guns I shoot most often and carry most often.

shortwave
January 21, 2009, 09:27 AM
Before this gets locked! What I see in the future 'no brainer'. With Obamas stance on guns,coupled with appointed staff, especially H.Clinton(and we all know the Clintons stance on guns:rolleyes:), gunowners had better put our boxing gloves on and get ready. The BS is on its way. May not be tomorrow but its coming and our 2nd Amend. rights will have to be fought for some more. If you want guns and ammo better get it and plenty. No doubt certain guns,ammo and gunparts will be made hard or impossible to get with our politicians using their political powers to tax and pressure gun and ammo manufacturers not to make or import certain things. It was done under the Clinton era and now the Clinton ideas will be coupled with Obama`s. This country has come a long way when it comes to some complicated rights of our people but we have to fght for the basic right to defend ourselves.:(

Smaug
January 21, 2009, 09:53 AM
+1 to the "one more reason to reload" post.

It is mostly gun people (some of them are here) who have panicked and stockpiled ammo.

robhof
January 21, 2009, 10:17 AM
Another reason to stock up now is the encoded bullet bill floating around in many states. Here in Ky. they are trying to pass a bill to raise taxes on guns and ammo to pay for the massive data base they will have to keep if the encoded bullet becomes a reality, and if so reloading will be illegal unless you can encode your bullets!!!

jg0001
January 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
It's a vicious cycle.

I bought several hundred rounds of ammo around Christmas. When I did so, I started to see things get backordered. This worried me. Reading more stories about it worried me more. Watching prices go up 15% in a month added to this.

What did I do? I hunted on the 'net and bought several THOUSAND rounds to stockpile.

I imagine I am not alone.

only1najeep
January 21, 2009, 05:06 PM
Between the range, tv, internet, and others i have talked to, i've herd so many different ideas on what the next four years hold for hunters and gun enthusiasts. Some of it has been outragous, however some ideas are unfortunatly going to become "law". For this reason I will continue to purchase the items I can (ammunition) while I am able.

Cult .44
January 21, 2009, 07:49 PM
I see ammunition prices stabalizing in a couple of months and going down probably by summer. The Obama-induced frenzy will fade. Whatever political energy there is to push through anti-gun legislation is way on the backburner and will meet fierce and protracted resistance if and when it comes up (probably not for year or two at the soonest). It stands to reason that ammunition manufacturers have ramped up production to meet current demand, yet the prices of commodities like copper and lead have dropped considerably. Pentagon demand is not likely to increase and probably will decrease. This adds up to stores and distributors becoming overstocked when the rush ebbs. Add this to relatively low cost of production and we should see prices falling and good deals to be had.

Bear Claw Chris
January 21, 2009, 09:18 PM
Already up on the White House Website today.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/urban_policy/

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

Cult .44
January 21, 2009, 11:43 PM
Already up on the White House Website today.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/urban_policy/

That's one paragraph of to-dos in a long list of paragraphs of to-dos coming under the heading of "Urban Policy." The heading "Urban Policy" is one heading of 24, each having it own long list of to-dos. I don't see any indication that anti-gun legislation is on the policy front-burner. I suspect it's a compromisable issue for the Obama administration, especially given that violent crime seems to be trending down and there's not much evidence the AWB did much good other than irritate gun enthusiasts. In other words, Obama likely would happily trade off the gun control issue in favor of pressing the issues the people who elected him are most concerned with -- the economy, foreign policy and climate change. He certainly wasn't swept into office on a gun control mandate.

But we'll see what happens, I guess.

csmsss
January 21, 2009, 11:49 PM
That's one paragraph of to-dos in a long list of paragraphs of to-dos coming under the heading of "Urban Policy." The heading "Urban Policy" is one heading of 24, each having it own long list of to-dos. I don't see any indication that anti-gun legislation is on the policy front-burner. I suspect it's a compromisable issue for the Obama administration, especially given that violent crime seems to be trending down and there's not much evidence the AWB did much good other than irritate gun enthusiasts. In other words, Obama likely would happily trade off the gun control issue in favor of pressing the issues the people who elected him are most concerned with -- the economy, foreign policy and climate change. He certainly wasn't swept into office on a gun control mandate.Your assumption (incorrect in my view) is that he'll need to horsetrade on this. Why? He's got huge majorities in both houses - majorities chock full of anti-gunners. He's got a mainstream media that fawns over every word that escapes his lips, and a bamboozled electorate that, quite simply, eats up every word with alacrity. In other words, he's got basically a blank legislative check whenever he chooses to push this issue forward - and in my opinion it will happen sooner rather than later.

Daryl
January 22, 2009, 04:59 AM
Cult.44,

I guess you missed H.R. 45? It's started in the house already, and it's a very agressive bill to require nationwide registration, as well as permits to own handguns and "assault weapons", whatever they deem assault weapons to be.

They aren't waiting to get started. They're not wasting a second.

Daryl

ThorntonMelon
January 22, 2009, 07:55 AM
That's one paragraph of to-dos in a long list of paragraphs of to-dos coming under the heading of "Urban Policy." The heading "Urban Policy" is one heading of 24, each having it own long list of to-dos. I don't see any indication that anti-gun legislation is on the policy front-burner. I suspect it's a compromisable issue for the Obama administration, especially given that violent crime seems to be trending down and there's not much evidence the AWB did much good other than irritate gun enthusiasts. In other words, Obama likely would happily trade off the gun control issue in favor of pressing the issues the people who elected him are most concerned with -- the economy, foreign policy and climate change. He certainly wasn't swept into office on a gun control mandate.

Nobody thought the first AWB would get passed either...

RJM
January 22, 2009, 08:09 AM
I have no doubt in my mind that a new AWB will be passed. The only question I have is what else will it affect, be it ammo, components, revolvers, all semi-autos ect, ccw ban, federal gun owner id cards/registration.

I never will and never did vote for somebody who is in favor of gun bans, but the political climate right now is one of "the government helping the people," and that means taking liberty away from the people. People who actually care to have the right to own guns are going to be screwed the next four years, and in my opinion, a gun ban is going to be sooner than later. If the powers that be get the bad stuff over with now, the people will forget four years from now and elect the marxist again. There is no way congress is going to let him wait four years to make a decision on this, its coming soon.

alloy
January 22, 2009, 08:25 AM
i imagine changes are coming soon and surely this thread is doomed for lockage, but there are 34/35 senators coming up for election in 2 years as well as the entire House of Reps. so the majority can be changed.

Another User Name
January 22, 2009, 08:46 AM
So why are political topics in regards to gun laws and legislation now off limits?

Was it getting too heated or nasty?

I thought it was a good place to learn and debate about policies and what parties and politicians are working on. I'm really disappointed. I guess I can another website that carries political debate on the subject.:(

Nigelcorn
January 22, 2009, 09:35 AM
Cult 44:

I completely agree with you. I am all for anything that gets more people to buy guns and ammo, especially those that don't currently have any guns, but I think this whole buying frenzy is bordering (ok, well past) paranoia.

If he does anything (which, admittedly, he might) it won't be for a long time. Gun control was barely an afterthought in the political issues this election, so I don't think that he will make it a priority, especially with how the economy is. He might get to it later, but I doubt it will be anything that will seriously affect me. I could see getting a couple high capacity magazines, but I have seen people buying up revolvers for fear that he will soon ban them. It just isn't going to happen that way, and he has never given any indication that is his intention.

Then again, this is all my opinion. I could be completely wrong, and you will all laugh at me when I don't have any ammo to feed my guns. I guess that is a risk I am willing to take. Personally, though, I am going to wait a few months for prices to cool off before I buy anything other than ammo with which to plink.

Al Norris
January 22, 2009, 10:30 AM
So why are political topics in regards to gun laws and legislation now off limits?

For those of you that are new to TFL, for those of you that never paid attention to the old Legal & Political forum, this (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310132) link is a discussion of why it was closed. This (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310183) link contains a discussion of what we could do, to make it better, if we re-opened the forum, or something similar.

Off topic and closed.