PDA

View Full Version : Lefever 16 ga

mike corley
January 20, 2009, 07:38 PM
I am looking at a Lefever 16 GA. Has 28" Barrels,Serial 68321. On the water table it has the serial no. then D 8 2. Can anyone tell me anything about this gun? Gun only has about 30% blue left if that but no cracks or rust. Stock is tight but has no checkering. There is no cap on pistol grip. Are these things normal?
Mike

shortwave
January 20, 2009, 09:09 PM
Mike, it was suggested to me on another thread to go to www.16ga.com for questions regarding 16`s. Those guys are very knowledgeable and willing to help. Goodluck!

Dave McC
January 21, 2009, 07:21 AM
"Uncle" Dan LeFever was one heck of a gun designer but not much of a businessman. He had at least three companies with his name in theirs and Ithaca made and sold a decent boxlock utility grade double in several variants called the LeFever Nitro Special,etc.

All LeFever shotguns were excellent, including the Ithacas, but designs and parts are all different. So are current values.

Many of these, alas, are old enough to have short chambers.

Some pics would help nail things down.

Chances are this is a doable project if there's no rust or abuse. You may want to buy it with a return policy and show it to a qualified smith for an inspection.

HTH....

J F Cooper
January 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
The original stock would be checkered.It sounds like an aftermarket stock..JFC