PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle Sticky Bolt?

blacksky
January 12, 2009, 09:27 PM
I finally got my new Savage 12 BTCSS home. After inserting the bolt on the first few cycles it seems to be a bit sticky. Could this be a lubrication issue or just the fact that it is new and needs time to seat in. I have not fired it yet. :confused:

kraigwy
January 12, 2009, 09:36 PM
Thats quite common on new rifles.

There is an easy fix, not just for a new rifle but any rifle. Jewel the bolt, (thats the pretty swarls you see on some bots).

What it does is 1: poslished the boat, 2: leaves little tiny scratches that hold oil, without making the bolt Oily.

Also works good on pistol triggers and hammers. Looks nice too.

blacksky
January 12, 2009, 09:46 PM
Kraigwy... Thans for your inpit, but this model came with a jeweled bolt from Savage. :confused:

Swampghost
January 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
Sit in front of the TV and just cycle the bolt for a while and see if it doesn't loosen up. The tolerences are usually pretty tight on new stuff and there could be a burr or two.

blacksky
January 12, 2009, 11:46 PM
Found a burr at the rear of the action, where it was tapped and drilled for a scope base. Any suggestions?

Swampghost
January 13, 2009, 12:01 AM
Take a fine stone and hone it down.

blacksky
January 14, 2009, 02:47 AM
I used some CLP and a bore brush that fit perfectly. A dozen or so good laps back and forth and it's smooth. Did a little cleaning up afterwards to remove any residue and good to go. :)