PDA

View Full Version : Lame or a symbol of dedication?

Tatsumi67
January 9, 2009, 01:05 PM
I found out that because my Mini-14 is an old style 180 series gun I will need a special style scope mount that was made for the older set. $64 plus shipping and handeling.

At one time, I think its kind of lame that I will need to pony up $64 just for the mount, but at the same instance I think its a symbol of uniqueness for a unique production gun.

Your Thoughts? Can anyone sell me theirs at a better price?

Yankee Doodle
January 9, 2009, 01:21 PM
Didn't vote for either. Why not use the peep sight? Just as accurate at reasonable ranges, and looks a heck of a lot better. May take a bit of serious practice on your part, but burning powder is what it's all about anyway.

Tatsumi67
January 9, 2009, 01:24 PM
Didn't vote for either. Why not use the peep sight? Just as accurate at reasonable ranges, and looks a heck of a lot better. May take a bit of serious practice on your part, but burning powder is what it's all about anyway.

just because I want a scope at some poin t doenst mean i dont like iron sights. I actually made a big point in my range report of how accurate I thought it was. I agree with you, I really like the peep sight on the gun, its simple, easy and quick to adjust.

Darsh
January 9, 2009, 01:28 PM
If you enjoy your gun and want a scope for it, then to me it seems worth it. Just my opinion.

kraigwy
January 9, 2009, 01:29 PM
You put $50 sights on a $1000 rifle, you end up with a $50 rifle.

uncyboo
January 9, 2009, 01:32 PM
Worth is totally in the eyes of the owner. I'm a scope guy so I'd probably do it. However, I'm also a gun-whore, so it wouldn't take much of excuse to start looking for another gun, and you have a perfect excuse there. "Honey I need a ranch rifle so I can put a scope on it..." :D

Tatsumi67
January 9, 2009, 01:32 PM
You put $50 sights on a $1000 rifle, you end up with a $50 rifle.
No offense, but...what??

Tatsumi67
January 9, 2009, 01:33 PM
Worth is totally in the eyes of the owner. I'm a scope guy so I'd probably do it. However, I'm also a gun-whore, so it wouldn't take much of excuse to start looking for another gun, and you have a perfect excuse there. "Honey I need a ranch rifle so I can put a scope on it..."

My problem exactly.

M1911
January 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
$64 is not a bad price for a scope mount.

Why you would want to put a scope on a Mini-14, which has that terribly inaccurate barrel, is another matter entirely. Scoping a Mini-14 is pointless, IMHO.

chris in va
January 9, 2009, 01:43 PM
I'd be more inclined to put a red dot on it.

uncyboo
January 9, 2009, 04:10 PM
$64 is not a bad price for a scope mount.

Exactly. The one pc. mount from Armalite for my AR-10 is 100 bucks from them and have seen none for less than $85 at any gun show in the last 5 yrs. Thank goodness mine came with one.

Why you would want to put a scope on a Mini-14, which has that terribly inaccurate barrel, is another matter entirely. Scoping a Mini-14 is pointless, IMHO.

Not if I wanna put an Aimpoint on it, which is exactly what I'm gonna do with mine. Right now it wears a Lupy VXIII 1.5 X 5. I don't need the magnification nearly as badly as I need the light gathering aspect. Plus with such a low power the scope allows me much faster target aquisition, at least for me. Gonna swap over to the Aimpoint as soon as I can get some 30mm stainless Ruger rings, which kinda puts me in the same boat as the OP. From Ruger they're like $75 I think.

M1911
January 9, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yea, I could understand an Aimpoint on a Mini-14.

indy245
January 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
Make sure that the mount you get won't interfere with the ejection of the brass, I have an 180 series mini-14 and I bought a scope mount and the brass does not eject properly and causes jams. The other thing is that the mount does not seem to be very sturdy by the way it mounts to the gun. I would not put one on my gun again and in fact mine is for sale for considerably less than 64$.

Indy.

Art Eatman
January 9, 2009, 04:53 PM
I forget the Brand name; B-Square? Remove the rear sight, pin in place and there's a lockscrew that tightens against the receiver ring. Back then, they cost around $35, but that was then.

Anyhow, I used one of those on a couple of old Minis, back in the 1970s/1980s with a Weaver K4. Worked great for coyotes and jackrabbits. Truck gun, on the jeep trails around here.

uncyboo
January 9, 2009, 05:36 PM
Of course, OP, you could always swap it for a Ranch model...

pbrktrt
January 9, 2009, 08:46 PM
although the 180 series is unique therein lies the problem. it is no longer supported by Ruger and many of it's parts are unique to that model. although it may never break if it does you are pretty much screwed. i'd find a collector that may want it & get a newer series. if it is in nice shape you could probably get enough for it to get into a 580 series.

Swampghost
January 9, 2009, 08:52 PM
I'm interested as my vision ain't what it used to be and I have a couple of the old 180's hanging around. These rifles take a beating as to barrel whip and other factors. I'd really like to put some realistic numbers up relating to their accuracy.

M1911
January 9, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'd really like to put some realistic numbers up relating to their accuracy.My buddy was getting about 5 MOA out of his after mounting a scope. YMMV.

bobn
January 9, 2009, 09:49 PM
i have owned at least 8 different mini 14s, 30s. also one of the 44s, made off the mini action. the very first one used one of the bsquare mounts that art described. it by far was the most dependable and most accuarate of the bunch. it was my second centerfire rifle when i was a kid.
.... i wish i knew about proper bore cleaning and ammo selection. i ruined that rifle due to improper care. oh well.
....anyway my point is if i had one of the original 180s back i would NEVER swap it for one of the new ones. my experiance says it was a better rifle. bobn