PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Scope on Winchester 9422

kevinps62
January 8, 2009, 03:25 PM
Recently purchased a 9422 Magnum and will be mounting a Weaver RV7 Rimfire 2.5-7 scope on it. I'd like to use the Burris Signature Zee rings.

New at this so bear with me.

My question is should I:

1) buy tip-off "rimfire" rings and mount directly to receiver, which I believe will accomodate the tip off rings. (This will be most direct attachment but will there be a problem with eye relief?); or

2) First install a Weaver style mount and attach rimfire tip-off rings to it; or

3) install weaver mount to receiver and attach standard mount rings (not rimfire) to the mount? Is there benefit to using standard rings vs. rimfire rings if they're being attached to a mount that accommodates either?

Someone familiar with 9422 care to share some advice with this newbie? Thanks.

HOGGHEAD
January 8, 2009, 03:38 PM
I use the standard 22 mount for my 9422-22 magnum. I have a peep sight on my 22 LR in 9422, but I do have a scope on my 22 magnum. You need to keep the scope low on the 9422 since the rifle stock is designed for open sight shooting. And adding a base is just putting the scope higher, and adding additional screws. No need for all of that. Tom.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0195.jpg

kevinps62
January 8, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hogghead: Thanks for the response. I'll go with the rimfire rings attached to receiver. I did read elsewhere that the 9422s need low mounted scopes.

Anybody have a suggestion for "low" rings for a rimfire? Thanks.