PDA

View Full Version : beretta Px4 storm worn on one side.

justanegg
January 8, 2009, 01:16 AM
Hello,
i am new to this forum, i basically joined because i have a problem with my new pistol.

i purchased a beretta Px4 Storm type F about a week ago. it has never been fired (i've only racked the slide like 3 times to lube it)

i have practiced a few times field stripping it (to not make an idiot of myself at the shooting range)
it only seems to go back together one way, and it's off center. the slide hangs to the left, and the guide rails on the right hand side are visibly worn down. all the actions work great but i am worried to fire it much like this because i feel the one side will wear completely out.

i attached some photos and i can take more if another angle better shows it.

i am unsure what details to provide. i noticed with the recoil spring, it is wound the direction of the overhang, but could that cause the hold slide to sit off balance? will it wear into place and not be an issue after it loosens up ?

heres the pictures, sorry i only own a shotgun this is my first pistol.

LanceOregon
January 8, 2009, 02:22 AM
it only seems to go back together one way

The gun is meant to be assembled in only one way.

Did you buy the gun new or used? If you got it new, you should have a nice user's guide book that comes with the pistol. The instructions in it will make it clear on how to properly disassemble and reassemble the gun.

If you bought the gun used, and no manual was included, you can download an electronic PDF version of the PX4 Storm's owner's manual here:

http://www.berettaservices.com/index.aspx?m=117&f=3&idf=335

The photos of your gun do not look at all unusual to me. I would advise that you take the gun to a range and shoot it, and see how it performs. Then report back to us how well it did.

Also please clarify if you bought the gun new or used, and whether from a gun store or from an individual. That will then determine what your options are if it turns out that the gun has an actual problem.

justanegg
January 8, 2009, 02:28 AM
brand new from H&H firearms in fort wayne.

maybe i am OCD, it's off by about a milimeter or 1.5, but it's enough that the slide is worns down on one side, so it's shiny / reflective, and the other side is pure black matt, it's one both of "catches" for the guide rail on the left side (the wearing).

i mean, it looks like the other Px4's but when you look close, the slide hangs to one side slightly. i was worried the precision needed to be better than that to be fully accurate.

my firearms experience is with shotguns and the occasional "here shoot this" in my best friends backyard

squib
January 8, 2009, 02:30 AM
Plus 1 for LanceOregon---I have one of these beauties and it performs remarkedly well.....Yours should also ! If not,contact Beretta ! They will need to know if the pistol performs or malfunctions prior to stipulating to warranty issues.
"Don't fix it if it ain't broke--but-- use the warranty if it is broke."

BTW--Beretta cust.svc. is a
misnomer.

justanegg
January 8, 2009, 02:32 AM
here are photos with the slide removed, you can see the left side is worn down where it's holds it on, and the right is completely unscratched.

again this is brand new never fired., only racked the slide a few times to spread the gun grease.

justanegg
January 8, 2009, 02:57 AM
problem with beretta cust. support, is i don't see a way to actually ask my OWN question, just to read their alreayd supplied ones.

if the catches for the slide rail weren't worn down, then the slide would sit dead center on the gun.

what would cause a brand new unfired gun to have this condition? poor molding?

i didn't want to fire it because if it's a manufacturers defect, i wanted to return it.

squib
January 8, 2009, 02:57 AM
If you don't want to shoot it--take it to a gunsmith and get his opinion first.
You have to register on Berettas web to ask questions.

razorburn
January 8, 2009, 02:59 AM
Looks the same to me. The gun is fine. Don't worry about it.

blast_09
January 29, 2009, 05:26 PM
if you can go back to where you bought it and have it exchanged don't wait, do it, because beretta warranty sucks.
I also bought a px4 3 months ago, I was happy with it until two of the three green/yellow dots on the sights came off, so I sent it to beretta 2 weeks ago, and i just got off the phone with customer service after waiting 45min and they told me it's going to take 8 to 10 weeks....!:confused:.
so try to talk with the people in the store who sold you the pistol before you have to deal with :eek:THE WARRANTY:eek:

good luck.

Delaware_Dan
January 29, 2009, 06:28 PM
It seems fine, but just to be sure, take it to any gun shop and ask them to take a look at it. It wont cost you a thing and it will give you peace of mind.

justanegg
January 29, 2009, 07:15 PM
i went back to the gun shop and the owner told me it's completely normal to wear in some... and that i should have no problems with it.

i then proceeded to fire 400 rounds on sight, and i have 0 problems, and the wear looks exactly the same, so i am less worried about it, but aesthetically the slide definitely looks lopsided.