PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Navy Colt serial number query

warren77
January 4, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hi,

I have a good replica of an 1851 navy colt. I have found many Italian replicas have their own manufacturing stamp on the revolver somewhere. Mine has none, it just has 'made in italy' stamped on the underside of the hexagonal barrel. It does have matching serial numbers on the trigger guard, frame, butt and inside the handle. The serial number is 64393. It has a brass frame and the engraved navy scene on the cylinder. Does anyone know the date of manufacture?, I have looked online but have had no luck. I have included some images of the revolver too. One last thing to mention is the screw going through the loading lever goes in the opposite way to all the other screws, I havn't seen this on any other replicas.

I would appreciate any help,

Many thanks Warren :)

Hawg
January 4, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'd say the markings were removed. Even if it was a kit it should have a manufacturers stamp on it.

James K
January 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
Since those are not considered firearms under federal law, there is no requirement for marking them with the maker/importer name or even putting on a serial number. I have seen a lot of them, just like that. It does rather indicate that the maker didn't have a lot of pride in the product.

Jim

warren77
January 5, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hi, thanks for your comments, does anyone now what date it is, as the serial numbers must mean something. The gun does seem solid and well built.

Regards Warren.

Hawg
January 5, 2009, 09:34 AM
No, the serial number doesn't mean anything. Italian guns use a date code stamped in the frame. Without it there's no way to date it. The quality or lack of it will show up in the internal works after it's been used awhile. If it's a .44 it's a Pietta, they're the only one that makes them.

warren77
January 5, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi, is there a way I can tell if it is a .44?

Thanks Warren.

Jim Watson
January 5, 2009, 09:35 PM
Well, just to be sure, you could measure the barrel or a chamber opening.

But it is plain in your pictures that it is a .36.

warren77
January 6, 2009, 03:41 PM
I measured it and it is a .36 if it is a kit would it still have serial numbers on it? :confused: Many thanks.