PDA

View Full Version : Public Rifle Ranges...How do you shoot when

Dearhunter61
January 2, 2009, 01:05 AM
I went to the range today and when I got there it was pretty empty. I started off shooting real good...or at least the rifles I had with me were shooting extemely good. But then after about an hour or so it got crowded and then real crowded. It seemed the more crowded it got the worse I shot. At the end I realized I was rushing some of my shots just to get the crap out of there...

There was just too much going on. Too many people moving around etc.

I was wondering if any of you have ever had this happen to you?

I wish I had realized what I was doing earlier so I could have attempted to maintain greater focus or just got up and left and not wasted the ammo and my time.

Thanks,

mav88
January 2, 2009, 01:08 AM
ya..i know how you feel...i dont even try to go on the military base shooting range...since their is just a wide variety of people there...families..soldiers..retired vets etc...i like to be alone if i can..that way i can focus on shots and attempt different things...

i know what you mean :rolleyes:

wish i had private land..like some people..they just dont know how lucky they are..i have to drive 1hour in a half to get to my local gun range..only allowed to members...but sometimes on sundays its just completely quiet :)

ndking1126
January 2, 2009, 01:25 AM
Ditto for me. I really have to pay attention when people start showing up. The bad thing is at my range they only have 3 tables.. 1 of which doesn't even have a chair. So, as you can imagine, it doesn't take much to fill up the range. Strangely, I only remember having to wait once for a table. I've had people waiting on me a couple of times.

I've just about gotten to the point where I just pack up and leave. If it happens again and if I have a pistol with me, I may go down to the pistol range (about 200 yards away) shoot there and check back when done.

NWCP
January 2, 2009, 04:51 AM
I belong to a gun club, but it is open to the general public. I tend to go on the days I know not many folks other then members will be there. Crowds are not only distracting, they can be dangerous. More than once I've stopped shooting early and left because of some knucklehead playing Rambo. I simply give the range safety officer a heads up and go home.

fbrown333@suddenlink
January 2, 2009, 05:04 AM
The range closest to me is 45 minutes away and has no range officer. They had a shooting a week or so ago where a guy shot a woman in the stomach while putting his pistol in its case:eek: I shoot there as I have no other place to go. I keep one eye on the people and the other on my target as some people will shoot your target just for spite. I always keep my ccw on me when at the range as I have had bone heads in the past shoot at targets while we where down range checking our targets (I don't think that guy will be back anytime soon:rolleyes: ) Most of the people are decent, it only takes one to make the rest of us look bad. Had a couple one day that had a 2 year old running around the range:eek: and I mean runnng (out in front of everyone.)

texfar
January 2, 2009, 05:42 AM
Mav88 said: "wish i had private land..like some people..they just dont know how lucky they are.."

OH YES WE DO AND THANKFUL FOR IT EVERYDAY!!!

I used to drive the 45min-1 hr drive to Dietz's range off RR 46 near New Braunfels, but as others have mentioned, just don't like crowds. Especially armed ones acting mostly like idiots. The first time I took my wife out there she asked "what is that brown thing behind the berm?" A couple of guys were packed up and out of there pretty quick and did not think much of it. Went and got the range officer, who shut down the line and we walked to the berm. Behind the berm was a 1200 pound cow on her side with a "small" hole in her side. She died and there is no doubt that the two fellas that took off did it with their AR's. Probably a mistake, but they should have owned up to it and it would probably have been OK. Oh, gotta watch the live stock out there as they free graze....no joke.

I have had property to shoot on for years, but lacked a really stable setup, but last year I built a range on my place 27' across the front, 16' across the back, about 15' deep and 12' high. Three trucks of fill to top it off. Just finished my 100 yd slab with Chrono slab and poured my shooting bench early December. Early this year will complete the 200 yd and late in the year a 300 bench. Have a separate126 yard range to shoot at out of my reloading room window complete with a very stable bench set up for playing around with rounds or rainy days.

Nothing like having your own place to shoot on and be able to have a few close friends enjoy it too.

Cheetah-lagra
January 2, 2009, 06:36 AM
I feel the same when I am on a shooting range and just
want to do a couple of groupings or maybe set the sight
of the weapon.

On the other hand, if I want to practice self-defense,
there must be noise. I have caught myself a couple of
times that if I did not go to the range in a long time
that I anticipate that first shot.

kraigwy
January 2, 2009, 10:47 AM
Shooting is about 95% mental (+/- a % or two depending on who you talk to). The problem is not being able to block out any and all distractions.

The problem is people tend to ignor one of the most important shooting fundamentals, and one that is seldum mentioned in most How To Shoot books and videos.

That is TO RELAX. All other fundamentals go out the window if you can't totaly relax while shoot.

A good example is, we hear all the time, IF YOU CANT SHOOT, COACH. I know that sounds silly but think about it. Is it that the coach cant shoot or is it that he's so busy tending to team members he can't concentrate on his own shooting.

I coached the AK NG Rifle team for years. If you travel with the team of 10-12 rifle shooter (6-8 Pistol shooters), you have the logistic (feeding and quartering, - travel, weapon security etc etc). I dont care who you are, its gonna get to you and your scores are gonna reflect it.

I may several, just myself, rifle shooting junts. When I was along and only and to tend to my own shooting and not a team of shooters, my scores went sky high.

Get one of those shooting maunels, (Put out by the AMU or ISU (International Shooters Union) that deals a great deal with mental disiplans and study them. I think that will help you a great deal. Also learn to RELAX.

jpwilly
January 2, 2009, 11:32 AM
This is starting to sound like a bunch of golfers making excuses for shanking the ball. Sometimes overthinking things is the problem.

davlandrum
January 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
I will burn 1/2 day of vacation just so I can go to the range during the week.

Usually have the place pretty much to myself, maybe one or two older guys who have the time to be there.

sneaky pete
January 2, 2009, 06:05 PM
Sneak Pete here: I live 150 miles away from the County range in Miami/Dade where my club shoots it's matches. Several years ago "Trail Glades Range" was like like downtown Beruit with the public breaking every type of gun safety procedures you could immagine. Someone got to the County Comission and Range Management and very strict guidelines were put in force- following NRA Safety guidelines. New shooters are required to take a test demonstrating their knowlege of firearm safety policies/procedures(for a fee) and are issued a Range Card that must be presented everytime using the range. There is a Primary Range Safety Officer in a control booth and numerous RSOs walking behind the firing line making sure the shooters are following the Safety policies and the cost of failing to comply is Immediate removal. This change is a GOOD thing as firearms KILL people. Way back when, I took my wife to the range so she could practice wth her H&K USP 220>.45ACP and she was so nervious that I had to take her home. If you feel that your range is not following commonly accepted Safety practices it is Your Life that you are putting at risk. A bullet doesn't have a mind of its own but that stupid person who has no concern for himself doesn't have any for you either. Talk to the Government entity/Range management about your concerns. After all THEY are LIABLE--but you might be DEAD. THANX--SNEAKY NRA--RSO, pistol, reloading and firearm safety instructor :)

Inspector3711
January 2, 2009, 08:30 PM
I shoot at a range open to the public. This range is set up to maximize profit and the benches are usually no more than 1 foot apart.

Since it's only $10 a day to the public and some don't want to pay the initiation fee at the private clubs (the majority of them are private), you tend to get alot of young folks with assault rifles.

Besides a few handling issues, the commotion can be horrible. On top of that, the benches are so close that when your neighbor starts crackin with his AK or SKS (I gotta have an SKS some day!), your cheeks move. Did I mention the carpet baffle that directs muzzle blast rearward?

Initially (over a year ago) I found this to be highly detrimental to my bolt action accuracy quest. In time I started to find a place where most of it could be tuned out. I decided that if I could be consistently accurate there then I could shoot anywhere.

Now that I have come to terms (for the most part) with all kinds of ruckus, and now that I have a better paying job, I'm looking into joining a private range closer to home. The initiation fee there is $150 and annual renewal is $75. This would pay for alot of $10 range trips but it's a nicer facility and is 4 miles from me instead of 18.

FireForged
January 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
I try to go a sunrise... I dont mind being around others at all as long as they practice reasonable safety and range-manners. What I dont like is that yahoo that seems to be at every range no matter where you go... The one that comes over to your table and wont leave you alone.

bigalshootmupper
January 2, 2009, 08:52 PM
The range I go to is public so you never know what kind of characters will show up. I few months ago a group of about a dozen "thug" kids showed up with a Tec-9 and I believe a High-Point. They looked to be about 15 and looked like they came straight out of a rap video. They only had a like a box of rounds and were asking everyone if they had any ammo to sell. Not one of them had glasses or ear plugs. Their "ear plugs" were putting their fingers in their ears. They were actually non threatening and somewhat "nice" kids, just obviously had no education on range practices. Instead of running them off I tried to "educate" them. I even let them shoot a couple of my guns as I told them about the need for hearing protection. I guess some people learn the hard way.

valentsgrif
January 2, 2009, 09:53 PM
Years ago when I was a decent 3 gun NRA pistol shooter, I would routinely enjoy showing off rapid fire ten ring groups at 25 yards with my .45. The bigger the crowd, the more fun I had out-shooting the line, off hand.

When you're confident, conditioned to block out distractions and have solid technique a crowd won't bother you.

B-Maxx
January 2, 2009, 10:24 PM
The range I belong to only has Public Day once a month and I avoid that day like the plague. Other than that the range is usually pretty empty. Even if there are people there I don't have much of a problem blocking them out. That is until I'm getting plinked by some spent cases flying my way. If that doesn't bother you than nothing will. :D

Inspector3711
January 2, 2009, 10:47 PM
bigalshootmupper... no... nevermind the name question...

That's a carbon copy of some of my range days. Last time I shot was in November (been working 7 day weeks) and it was a sweet exception to the rule. There was maybe 5 other people there in 7 hours. Some days there is 60 and they come and go constantly.

They make me freakin nervous with the way they handle a gun. I've raised my voice more than once. Don't point a firearm at me unless you plan on shooting me. I'm not terribly friendly once you do. I try to teach, that's in my nature, but the rangemaster needs to step up and grab the bull by the horns. Sometimes I wonder if I'm looking at the next mall shooter.

I recently pulled my "wax off" move on a guy in a gun shop. He wanted to show me the 20 gauge pump he was looking at. I didn't care to look down the barrel so I passed the barrel back his way quickly and forcefully. He just about thought he was in trouble. I'm quicker than I look and I'm not a petite guy. I then calmly gave him a training session. Then we admired that beautiful $200 POS pump gun (brand I never heard of). The salesperson was oblivious.

Next time I might just disarm a guy to make a point to the store.

I went to Sportsmans Tuesday to pick up my new pistola and a guy looking at a Ruger deer rifle pointed it at my head inadvertantly. Guys, if you are at a gun store, please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD (or whoever) point the firearm at the wall behind the counter and pretend it will KILL anyone you point it at instantly. DO NOT point it at the guy behind the counter, but only at the wall. If the other guy behind the counter walks past the muzzle, just point it at the ceiling before he gets there. Watch the guys back there. The ones that know stay put until they get the gun back from you.

Obviously I wouldn't do well in that job here. Too many guys gun shopping around here that never handled a firearm before. I could tell you 3-4 more stories from the last year but I won't.

.300 Weatherby Mag
January 2, 2009, 10:58 PM
The closest range where I can shoot my high power stuff is a little over an hour away... Although the range officers keep things in check its really a zoo on the weekends... I plan my range days when I get a day off during the week.. Generally when I do that, I am able to shoot and not have someone shooting a mini 14 bouncing casings off my head or gun.... Its nice to go and only have to deal with a few people, who generally not trying to be rambo... My biggest annoyance is when i'm shooting a nice group and someone puts a 12 ga. slug through my target... Normally when that happens its the best group of the day...

Inspector3711
January 2, 2009, 11:01 PM
.300, I forgot about that! The cases hitting me makes me practice while under that stress as well. In the summer they are hot when they get in my Tshirt!

Swampghost
January 2, 2009, 11:13 PM
Sounds like I've got it really good. Excellent well run range only an hour away and private land closer than that. The private land is also where we hunt so noise is kept to the minimum during the season.

The only problem that I have at the range is the para-wannabes and their muzzle brakes. Even this old dude doesn't need a brake on a 5.56 or AK.

TheotherMikeG
January 3, 2009, 12:54 AM
I am very fortunate to belong to a private club that's relatively close to home. I couldn't/wouldn't tolerate what goes on at public ranges. :eek:

TPAW
January 3, 2009, 01:05 AM
Your concentration was broken by the activity around you. I've had it happen to me a few times. Almost feels like your privacy was invaded. Learn to get over it by focusing on what you are doing. Try to block it out. If you can't, then choose to go to the range when it is more likely to be empty, and ask for a shooting position as far from others as possible.

gedenke
January 3, 2009, 04:22 AM
texfar....I hate you....:D

I've been going to my local public (pay per day) range for about two years now, and I'm really beginning to appreciate how nice it is. Fees are only $3 a day and I have volunteer range officers to keep things sane. 600yds is available on sundays if you join the club for $50 a year. Oh, yeah, it's 4 miles from my front door. (please don't hate me)

On a side note, while not as dramatic as some of your stories, I went to a public "free" range this weekend while visiting in Kalifornia. First thing, we pull up and theres about 25 trucks/cars at this "uncontrolled" range. I don't like this. So we get out and look around for a spot to do some plinking. Well, the place is aparently at a "cease fire", you know, people down range, setting up pumpkins and cardboard boxes and such. Anyway, I look over and there's this dumba** freakin' loading up his rifle, all the while pointing at these fellas down range. I can't resist. I yell over at him: "Hey, there's people down range, what the he** are you doing?! This moron looks at me and says with a straight face: "It's ok, the safety is on." :eek::mad::confused: Ahhh, the good ol' 10% rule.....glad I'm smarter than somebody.

Long story short, I left before I was overcome with the urge to choke this guy out. Although I did feel sorry for the poor smucks that were down range, not knowing what just happened. I ended up shooting out at my buddies place, miles away from any retard (there was only 3 of us...:)).

Hicksville Kid
January 3, 2009, 09:23 AM
You are correct JPWilly. But golfers are more whiney than shooters. It comes down to the same thing, though. You have to concentrate on what you are doing. We had a guy in our club that was sick of people whining about people moving or talking of just standing in the 'wrong' place that when someone complained he's say that it was the tees that were messing up his game. The 'bad' tees caused him to slice one into the trees. It made the whiners look like the whiners they are.

I'm not a great golfer, but I can concentrate when I need to. I do, however, have some difficulty with guys with big bore rifles shooting next to me. Especially the muzzle blast from the muzzle brakes on ARs. I just keep an eye or ear on them and shoot after they let loose. Joe Parent has written a few golf books about Zen golf. I know, I know, it sounds silly, but it is about the mental game and concentration. I don't know if anyone has ever done one on shooting, but I'd have to think that there is some crossover. Parente talks about mindfulness of sense perceptions and breathing. Check it out next time you are in a book store.

JAYBIRD78
January 3, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have seen gross negligence at a local PUBLIC range near me. I might shoot there ONCE a year with a coworker at best. I joined a PRIVATE range and the $15 a month fee is well worth it. The facility has both indoor and outdoor ranges. 98% of the members are great to talk with. The other 2% I would like to bop on the head with a hammer. :D :D

If at any time you feel at danger.......STOP and leave or SAY something without being RUDE. Of course if you are out numbered with all the dolts, you are better off leaving and living to shoot another day.

BE SAFE and SHOOT STRAIT

Dearhunter61
January 3, 2009, 06:41 PM
Every time someone uses the golf analogy it is obviously by someone similar to the guys bringing the mac10s or what ever to the range to shoot and not bringing hearing or eye protection and begging bullets off those around you.

I am a golfer, 4 handicap, and the game was and is a gentlemens game...or at least it used to be, when a golfer called a penalty on himself because he is a gentleman and that is the way the game is supposed to be played! How many other sports are played this way? So when someone behaves like a heathen it does upset those that try to play the game the way we were taught so many years ago. As you can see I take the "whiney" thing spoken of earlier as an opportunity to educate those that do not understand the game of golf! I quit playing golf on public golf courses because of the behavior of those kind of golfers. But actually those people are just exhibiting the way our culture has changed. One in which most do not consider those around them. In fact they often times deliberately do stupid things on purpose just to offend. Yuk!

Ponch2221
January 3, 2009, 06:57 PM
I went to a small gun store range yesterday with some friends. I'm not going again on a weekend because it was terrible. First there was a 45 min. wait for a lane. Once it was our turn there was this bunch of kids being loud and obnoxious, but for a second I thought, hmmm, it's supposed to be loud, it's a gun range, but I came to the conclusion that it really screws with your concentration (the yelling and laughter). On top of things the kids next to us were rapid firing their Colt AR-15, it's a 8 lane range the size of a basement. The worse was when I observed a guy in another adjacent lane racking his pistol's slide and checking the chamber as he pointed it at his buddy's back who was shooting at the time. To top off everything my buddy's Glock 22 had a barrel obstruction that we were not able to clear. Yes, it was a crappy day! :mad:

I came to the conclusion that I need to invest in a private gun club membership.

BuckHammer
January 3, 2009, 07:40 PM
When I shoot at a public range, I always try to get the table farthest to the right when shooting semi-automatics. That way, my spent brass is ejected away from other people. I always try to be kind and polite when I am at a public range, but I sometimes do horrible at 100 yards when its crowded, then move to 200 yards (which is typically empty at Sugar Ridge, where I shoot), and do much better in comparison. Also, though, for hunters (like me) who have to shoot well under less than ideal conditions, training to shoot with distractions might be very advantageous.

cornbush
January 3, 2009, 09:27 PM
On the rare occasion that I go to a shooting range I try to go during the week in the morning. Usually I go out in the desert and set up my own range, I take out a table and target stand and get the rangefinder out. I feel for you guys who are not fortunate to live in a place where you can do that too. I usually go out with my brothers or dad and uncle, sometimes all of us, in 45 minutes we can shoot in any direction we want on public land. We also built a private range on my grandpa's place in southeastern Idaho, we bulldozed up a berm in the side of a hill and built a little shed to shoot out of. When hunting season is close the ranges around here look like an ant pile that got kicked over, I'll take the desert any day.

Tucker 1371
January 3, 2009, 10:04 PM
At my local range everyone keeps the talking to a minimum for the most part, my only problem is when someone brings a cannon out and decides to take the bench next to me, I tend to pull shots when a .308 goes off next to my ear at the exact moment my trigger breaks. Having someone's spent shells go down your shirt isn't too fun either.

Crankylove
January 4, 2009, 01:40 PM
I havent been to a public range in about 2 years. Last time I went, I paid my range fee, placed my gear on an open bench, and went to the pits to place my targets. When I got back, the RO kicked me off my bench to make room for his buddy who arrived after me :mad: (third time I had that happen at that range). Off the top of my head, I think there are 5 indoor ranges and 4 outdoor ranges within about 20 min of my house, but I prefer to drive out into Utah's west desert with Cornbush to do my shooting. I see too many people with no idea how to safely handle a firearm, too many range officers who think they are god and selectively enforce the rules, and too many ranges who wont let me pick up my brass cause they want to collect and sell it. I can drive about an hour either east (to forest service land) or west (BLM) and shoot all day without seeing another person. I can shoot any distance I want, check my targets any time I want, shoot any type of firearm, and do rapid or slow fire to my hearts content. I feel bad for those shooters who only have the public ranges or shooting clubs, with outrageous fees, and too many people.

sc928porsche
January 4, 2009, 02:35 PM
It takes time and practice to be able to concentrate and still be aware of what is going on about you. Look upon it as a challenge and not so much as a distraction.

Through the years I have become accustomed to all the little disturbances as I am sure you will. Its difficult to shoot 5 shot cloverleafs when you are alone, but so much more so if you do it with 15 or so firearms going off while you are trying to accomplish it.

Like all shooting skills....practice, practice, practice.

mav88
January 5, 2009, 02:59 PM
im hoping to find a tactical indoor range somewhere close to where i live now. outdoors is fun...but ive seen clint smith and others on the outdoor channel training for HD situations...looks awesome..

hogdogs
January 5, 2009, 03:21 PM
It is the ability to shoot as well or better with numerous distractions that sets the plinkers apart from the "shootists"...
My wife knows that come a ****(can't say t u r d?) in the turbine, I am going to be just as calm cool and collected with a firearm as I am with the rifle rested on the porch rail poppin bunny rabbits.
While she did not enjoy the sessions, she understood my mindset when I would include her in my "tactical training sessions" way back 16-18 years. I would have her stand in one spot and I would approach, while drawing my side arm, move her to the side and DOWN (she hated the DOWN part) and engage my targets... I also did this with my biker buddies shooting their ar's, shotguns, pistols etc. Me and my buds TRAINED serious hard! We also practiced hostage situations but with empty firearms... She is such a fuddy-dud now-a-days!
Brent

DaveInPA
January 5, 2009, 04:11 PM
The range I go to allows shooting to begin at 8AM and shooting must stop at dusk.

I get there at 7:30, get set up, and fire my first round at 8:00 on the dot. Usually people start showing up around 11:00. By noon it's getting pretty crowded, and I leave after 4 relaxing hours of slinging lead. Works for me.

FrankenMauser
January 5, 2009, 04:33 PM
I know some of you are less fortunate and don't have millions of acres of public land available... but, that is how I solve this problem.

My family will gladly spend $40 in gas to get out in the desert, or deep into the mountains for some privacy while shooting.

Even so, I do find that too many people moving around can be very distracting. Usually, I'll just stop trying to punch paper, and pick up a pistol or .22 for some plinking. Once things calm down a bit, I'll go back to the bench and give it another try.

One other factor that affects indoor shooters more than outdoor shooters, is noise fatigue. Exposure to loud noise (obviously amplified indoors) will quickly fatigue the human body. Sometimes you won't even notice the fatigue, but you will notice yourself hurrying shots, subconsciously trying to finish quickly for a rest.

SoldiersSon
January 5, 2009, 04:44 PM
I go to a public range on Tennessee Wildlife Recources land, and I have no complaints...almost. Morons shooting up the target holders with shotguns is a bit annoying, but I like shooting with other folks. Every once in a while someone has a "whoopsie", but it's rare.

Last week a young couple was asking other shooters about range etiquette, and how they would know when it was okay to walk down to post a target. Someone announced the range was clear and the happy couple hung up a HUGE silhouette on the 25 yard pistol range. As soon as they got back behind the red line...BANG! With three or four people down-range, the girlfriend had proceeded to commence firing on her own accord. We had some not too happy shooters that day!

Dearhunter61
January 23, 2009, 07:22 PM
That is why I WOULD NOT go to one of those types of ranges. IDIOTS!!!

Brian Pfleuger
January 23, 2009, 07:26 PM
You guys are lucky to have so many options. I know of ONE indoor range within several hours of me, fortunately it's only about 30 minutes but there are no others ANYWHERE. No ranges in my area are public, which I guess can be good and bad.

FredT
January 23, 2009, 09:28 PM
When the public ranges get too crowded I pull out the biggest gun I got with the loudest brake and clear out a few tables around me. Works like a charm.

handlerer
January 23, 2009, 10:03 PM
I am, it seems quite lucky to have relocated to such a shooter friendly state. There is the Rod &Gun Club 3 miles away, but that has a waiting list for membership, have been as guest. There is a BLM shooting site 15 min from town, but it does get crowded, especially on weekends before opening of hunting season. Shooting is permitted on any BLM or National forest land, here. I have found a place I can 4 x4 to, where I shoot as far as the eye can see and never see a sign of another human. I take a portable shooting bench, my rangefinder, chrony, and boxes to tape targets to, then add rocks to the boxes to keep them from being blown over. I sometimes camp there with my son. We shoot at varying ranges, from 100-1200 yds. I shoot 300WBY, 340WBY, 223, 44mag. Would really like to practice more at 1000+, but that's a lot of walking to measure the last group, I use a Nikon spotting scope which I tell if I have a hit or miss, but can't really see the groups until I take a hike. If I just want to warm up the Mini-14, I'll just take a drive to the BLM range at mile 16.

gedenke
January 23, 2009, 10:06 PM
Man, am I glad I live in the west!! I guess I/we have it pretty good here. I don't mean to gloat, but....

Within a mile of my house I have a skeet range, and a 24hr indoor pistol range (both of those are club ranges with nominal membership dues). Four miles away is a full shooting complex that has archery, shotgun/skeet, pistol, rimfire, and four centerfire rifle ranges, two of which are 200yds, and all but the shotgun ranges have covered benches. There's even a tactical shooting area that the LE/National Guard use. Here's the kicker...the range fees are a whopping $5/day, or $25/yr. Next door to that place is another club range that has 600yds with pits (1000yds if the city would let them), this one is included w/ the 24hr pistol range membership.

Within 30 min. of my front door are two more ranges, one of which is another full complex with a small shop and up to 600yds (w/ pits @ 200/300yds), and a 3D archery range, pistol, shotgun, the works. And last but not least, 20 miles away are a million acres of FS/BLM land that are riddled with rock pits and other suitable shooting areas. Ahhh, and to think, just 30 miles south is the People's Republik of Kalifornia....

So yeah, it pretty much sucks here, yeah, definitely sucks here!:D (Don't want you east coast guys getting any crazy ideas about moving out here...hehehe!) ;)

Ignition Override
January 24, 2009, 12:01 AM
No idea.

Paid $450 (+ regular monthly dues) to join a private range and seeing no familiar people-from work etc-with whom to shoot (& being immed. bored making holes in paper).
Really hate the structured rules of waiting for other people to gradually fire several shots over ten+ minutes, taking quite a while :(, in order to spend just two minutes to check/replace the target, or cover the holes with black tabs-includes a fast walk.

Now only go to a small river nearby in farmland (what a blessing). Many times more fun and met one or two locals who can be reached to shoot with, sometime soon. The young guys enjoy simply shooting at real objects, while most (much older) guys my age might be jaded about natural shooting, having done it for many years.

SoldiersSon: Did nobody give them a short simple safety briefing?

REM700SA
January 24, 2009, 12:11 PM
Texfar, Can I be your friend?

Last time I went to Braken I was swept twice. It's one thing to concentrate under noise, but I'd rather concentrate on not being shot. Now I only shoot on a relative's land. I have to drive an hour to get there and while there is room to shoot a 1000 yards, no one ever wants to (I'm the only enthusiast). The other problem is there is no bench to shoot from and only one berm so you need to move to the range you want to fire and shoot prone/knee/standing or from a portable (wobbly) table. My groups suffer, but I'm safe.