PDA

View Full Version : My first AK-47

AZGlock13
December 25, 2008, 07:21 PM
Last week I was in a local gun shop and checking on if they had any new Ruger LCPs in stock yet, which they didn't, so I decided to look at their rifles they had up on the wall. I noticed they had two AK-47 style rifles, a Saiga with black ploy furniture and a "USA made" sticker one with dark tan (Dark Earth) TAPCO poly furniture (hand guard, pistol grip and side folder stock). I never really paid too much attention to AK-47 or even SKS style rifles before, but the dark tan TAPCO poly furniture AK really caught my eye. I asked one of the shop employees if I could see that one. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the trigger, the slant suppressor and the poly 30rd mag were also made by TAPCO. The receiver is marked "Model AK47-C" and manufacture marking as "I.O Inc. Monroe NC". The thin manual that came with it gives their website as "www.ioinc.us". I got the gun shop to knock off around $20, so it came out to be $700 out-the-door and also got them to throw in a black metal 30rd mag in as well. The rifle also came with a blueish nylon material type sling.

I haven't shot it yet, but the trigger pull on it feels pretty nice. I field stripped it down, cleaned it up real good and re-oiled it. I don't have any other 7.62 X 39mm firearms, so I had to order some ammo for it. I wanted to get 500-1,000 rounds of cheap Wolf brand FMJ for it to plink with. Man, just about all of the good ammo websites, that have good prices, are out of Wolf 7.62 X 39mm FMJ and HP ammo right now (all thanks to the national election results I bet). I did eventually find some Wolf 122gr. HP ammo left for a fairly good deal on Ammoman.com. I should have it in the next few weeks. Anyways, here are a few pics of the rifle I took at my house (Don't laugh too loud if I installed the sling incorrectly (remember this is my first AK), I did my best.:p) ):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/AZGlock13/AK47-C/AK47-C_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/AZGlock13/AK47-C/AK47-C_2.jpg

My pics have a slight pinkish hue to them on the poly furniture. My digital camera and the lighting wasn't the best it could be at the time, so I had to lighten the pics with software. Believe me, the poly furniture looks a 100% better in person. Like I said, it is more of a dark tan, medium brown color in person. The only thing I think I am going change out is the blue sling. I think a black tactical sling will look a lot better with the two-tone black/tan look.

Here's a better pic from I.O. Inc.'s website that shows the color better:

http://www.ioinc.us/graphics2/akdarkearthtxt.jpg

Mike U.
December 25, 2008, 09:28 PM
Nice rifle. Not so nice price. You also got short-changed. :eek: The site lists that the rifle comes with a milled scope mount which is missing, as far as I can see, on both the company's pic and your rifle. I'd be on the horn asking [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] come post holiday time when you know they'll be open or try tomorrow. Either way, you need to contact them ASAP.

AZGlock13
December 25, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yep, I'm sure I didn't get the best price.

What does a AK milled scope mount look like? Can you post a link to a photo of a typical looking one, so I know what I should be looking for. I'll try and call I.O. Inc. tomorrow and see if indeed I should have got one. Maybe they can send me one out to me, since my didn't come with one. Thanks for catching that.

Mike U.
December 25, 2008, 09:53 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Mike_U_photos/Mvc-056s.jpg

It has to be riveted on so you'll likely have to send it back for that.

I'm sorry about the price you had to pay to play. It's sick and never should have come about, but, that's life. At least you had the available funds to get one. :)

bojack2575
December 25, 2008, 10:10 PM
Not trying to rain on your parade, but for a little more bang you could of got a AR-15 type rifle. IMHO I don't think that any AK is worth more than $500.00. On the other hand if your happy with your purchase that's all that matters congrats.:)

yosemitesamaz
December 25, 2008, 10:11 PM
its a shame all aks went that high in az few months ago they were about 300 to 400 now your lucky if you can get a wasr 10 for under 600. last gun show here in pheonix guys were buying them left and right for no less than 700

kymasabe
December 25, 2008, 10:24 PM
As soon as my bullet guide and trigger retaining plate arrive, I'll have a new, converted Saiga for sale if you're looking for another AK-style rifle.

AZGlock13
December 25, 2008, 10:55 PM
Bummer. I'll see what they say, but I really don't want to send off my rifle. If it should have came that way, maybe I can see if I can get a couple of mags out of them instead. I'm planning on just using the iron sights anyway, maybe eventually changing out the stock iron sight for an adjustable Mojo peep sight.

Sorry, I'm not looking for another AK at this time.

Beretta16
December 25, 2008, 11:05 PM
Good lookin' gun, I'm sure you'll love it. That actually isn't a bad price for a converted Saiga pot election.. It's actually pretty damn good. Either way buy once, cry once.. The gun will last well beyond your lifetime and will serve you well. Excellent, fun plinking gun and a cool round.

Get out and shoot it! :D

lee n. field
December 25, 2008, 11:11 PM
TAPCO poly furniture (hand guard, pistol grip and side folder stock). I never really paid too much attention to AK-47 or even SKS style rifles before, but the dark tan TAPCO poly furniture AK really caught my eye. I asked one of the shop employees if I could see that one. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the trigger, the slant suppressor and the poly 30rd mag were also made by TAPCO.

Congratulations, the 922 compliance stuff has been taken care of on your gun. Accessorize at will, any piece of tacticoolity you want to bolt on.

Price wise, mine was about 60% of that, or a bit more last year, with Tapco furniture and trigger group similar to yours. So, you'd better have one darn nice receiver on that.

ndking1126
December 26, 2008, 01:37 AM
Hope you enjoy it. All things considered, the price you paid probably isn't that bad. Certainly would have been cheaper a year ago, but that was a year ago.

Take care of it, and it will be around along time.. long enough for you to get your money out of it :)

mav88
December 26, 2008, 02:05 AM
i like your ak...its very pretty...and i bet shoots well....good luck and have fun at the range!!!