PDA

View Full Version : sks gas valve

jok3r
December 22, 2008, 10:36 AM
im made sure the gas valve was in the right position to make it semi auto and went and shot it off yesterday but its still one shot any body got any idea what else could be wrong?

ZeSpectre
December 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
could be corroded and needing replacement (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp).
could just be clogged up and needs cleaning.

InferriCanis
December 22, 2008, 01:27 PM
This is quite common on many of the Romanians, a new stainless gas valve is available, and not expensive.

sonic1
December 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
the 2 that i had leaked so much gas around the gas tube it would not cycle,
made a thin steel washer to tightup the tube .. then it worked...to test yours lay a paper towel over the gas tube ..and shoot it.. see what happens

ISC
December 24, 2008, 12:07 AM
This is quite common on many of the Romanians, a new stainless gas valve is available, and not expensive.

Romanians don't have a gas valve. Yugo rifles are the only ones that have this horrible modification from Siminov's original design.

mav88
December 24, 2008, 12:45 AM
depends...if its a yugo 59/66 model thats natural for most of them that are bought in used condition. Shooting one time..and not having the bolt go back to battery could be due to a gas leakage in the gas valve...you might need to also check for any built up cosmo inside the bolt/firingpin/etc...and just double check its spotless, also check your springs too.

Good luck..i had a gas leak prob with my yugo sks 59/66

Notenoughguns
December 27, 2008, 02:46 PM
my yugo had the same problem, a new valve solved the problem.
cost less then $10 shipped and is Stainless steel so it should last forever.

Redneckrepairs
December 27, 2008, 03:17 PM
IMHO the only battle rifle to have a " valve " is a FAL . And it only has a " valve in the sense that it is " over ported " and you most likely should restrict the port thro the crude " screw down " appliance that is provided . Some rifles may have a gas cutoff switch where all the gas goes out the barrel to say launch grenades which shuts off the normal use of gas to run the action ( thereby using all for the propellent of the gernade ). With any sks you will likely see a gas port ( its not adjustable ) occluded by cos , fouling , a jacket piece , et all .... If you have a " gernade " switch in the gas system , well then clean and clear it . It is not a valve ( a valve regulates flow , its not an on and off thing ) . As an aside ill question your ammo . I have ... well nm cases of ammo that work , but strangly enought a bud just bought some " wolf " branded ammo that is a little light , and does not look right . It works in my sks(s) , but not his . Suffice it to say i got a bunch of this round nose crap now .

Notenoughguns
December 27, 2008, 03:20 PM
oops

Redneckrepairs
December 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
Notenoughguns why woops ? If i suspect right there is nothing wrong with not understanding the action and " nomenclature " . I did not mean to be a " nazi " on anything , but a valve you adjust ( and fal is an action most have heard of that you can ) , and a switch is all or none . I wont go into the pro or con of an adjustable gas system , rather ill say if your sks has a switch that creates problems , well clean it first , then it is easy enough to replace if needed . Most likely its " gunk " in the switch since few get enough use to be " wore out " or eroded .

Notenoughguns
December 27, 2008, 03:59 PM
oops because I posted the same thing twice.

The problems with yugos is that yugo ammo is very corrosive and the switch as you like to call it does get eroded overtime, This is a very common problem with the Yugo sks. Call it what you want, but if you are searching the internet for a replacement, search for "Gas Valve" and don't buy a used one.

ISC
January 3, 2009, 05:35 PM
1) A valve can regulate or restrict flow of a fluid. A switch is for cutting off the flow of electricity, not a fluid. Calling a Yugo gas valve a switch is asinine.

2) I have owned 3 different yugo SKSs with gas systems so corroded they wouldn't function as semiautos and I've heard of countless others with the same problems. All of them worked great as soon as the gas piston and/or gas tube were replaced.