PDA

View Full Version : Best ammo for 30-06?

claq
December 20, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well, I finally bought my first rifle (*after alot of research I might add).

I am very HAPPY to say that I bought a Savage FCSS 16, 30-06 with a real nice stainless steel Leopeuld (3x9x40mm). Beauty!

I can't WAIT to try her out. I will have to name her!!! LOL ( Please tell me that I am NOT the only one who names their rifle, I figure its like naming your car--Betsy, Bentley, tinfoil or such) ....LOL

Anyway, while there I also picked up a box of 165GR Core Lokt Bullets. I have READ alot of great things about thsi bullet. Has anyone else had any expereince with this ammunition? If so, what has been your experience?
I figue a 165 will be sufficient for deer...what grain or factory bullet are others using (with a 30-06) for deer, bear or moose?

Any advice or relaying your own personal experiences would be appreciated.

Chris~

jpwilly
December 20, 2008, 10:30 PM
Hello, the Remington 165 core lok's are a really good medium game bullet. There are "better" hunting bullets loaded into premium ammo but at a much higher cost and really depends on what your shooting at. For hunting paper targets at longer ranges the best is Federal Gold Metal Match. Have fun with the new rifle and be safe.

Cigar
December 21, 2008, 02:28 AM
30/06 is a Great cal. !!! Have Fun.... Learn to reload hehehe.

drmiller100
December 21, 2008, 01:03 PM
165 corelockt are great for deer and bear.

will kill a moose. moose are really pretty easy to kill.

if i were going specifically moose hunting, i'd probably shoot a premium 180 grain bullet like the grand slam or partition.

DiscoRacing
December 21, 2008, 01:07 PM
dont use 180 grain on whitetail.... been there... accident... someone reloaded for me once... i dont let em do my work now... started doin my own.

Antihero47
December 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
I've had bad bad experiences with the Express CoreLokt's. About 3 failed to fire from each box that I have ever gotten. I have shot the 180 and 150's. The thing that I have seen from cheap factory ammunition (Winchester Super X, Remington CoreLokt's) is that they are great for hunting, but if your trying to dial a scope or shoot paper with them its better to toss them at the targets.

My Rifle likes Winchester X ammunition a lot better then the corelokts though, plus I love the winchester brass from them too.

I recently picked up reloading and have gotten my paper shooting from 2" flyers every other shot to consistently under 1" at 100 yards.

I shoot 30/06.

T-Ray
December 21, 2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/pics/gunney.jpg

a56x300
December 21, 2008, 01:49 PM
You'll like your Savage/Leupold combination and it's hard to beat the versatility of a .30-06'. I''ve had good luck over the years with Remington factory ammo with Core-Loc bullets and Federal Premium ammo. I like 165-180 gr. for my 06'.
I'm not a real big Speer Hot Cor fan but have taken game with them and none got away. I just had some strange post-mortum bullet performance from them. Many here seem to like Speer though.

jpwilly
December 21, 2008, 02:09 PM
I should have mentioned this before. With any new rifle you may just want to go to the store and get a box of everything you think you would like to shoot. Go to the range (or where ever you target shoot) and see witch ones your rifle likes. Shoot 3 or 5 shot groups and let your rifle cool between shots. You may find that your rifle doesn't like certain ones at all. No need to stick with Rem or Fed etc unless it is accurate first there are many choices in premium hunting ammo...find the one your rifle likes best.

Cigar
December 21, 2008, 02:22 PM
DiscoRacing
Posts: 21 dont use 180 grain on whitetail.... been there... accident... someone reloaded for me once... i dont let em do my work now... started doin my own.

What happend with the whitetail and the 180s?

banditt007
December 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
first question is what are you shooting?

150 grain soft points are fine for deer and black bear. maybe if larger bears are to be seen go for the 165 grain. corelockts and the winchester power points have been the bread and butter for cheap hunting bullets that work well.

remember its all about shot placement. you put it where it needs to be, and you'll be happy with either. 165 grain are a good flexible bullet. meaning def heavy enough for any deer and a big black bear would still go down with one. Most seem to prefer 150 grains for deer. i shot a 120lb or so spike buck (totally guessing the weight here) with a rib-heart shot w/ a 150 grain winchester power point. close close range maybe 30 yards at the most. full pass through hit the ribs in and out. popped the heart. thing ran maybe 30 yards and was down, w/ a blood trail the blind could track. So between these and the corelockts just see what your gun shoots more accurately with. and 150-165 grain. and you are good to go.

crowbeaner
December 21, 2008, 03:22 PM
You have a great combination in your rifle and scope, and the RP 165 grain ammo will kill anything you shoot with it assuming you put the bullet where it needs to go. I just loaded 450 rounds of '06 ammo with that bullet, and I have implicit faith in it's performance on game. I use LC 67 to 69 brass, match prepped, CCI 250 primers and 47.0 of IMR 4320. It shoots cloverleafs in my 742, and NOTHING I've shot with it has ever gotten back up. I load the 180 grain bullet over 47.0 or 48.0 of IMR 4064 in RP or WW brass respectively.

onthejon55
December 21, 2008, 04:02 PM
I rele like the 150 Cor-lokt. found a couple after being shot into sand at the range and they opened up just like the picture

Buzzcook
December 21, 2008, 05:14 PM
Plus 1 for what jpwilly said, try several bullets and choose the one that shoots the best.
The Corelockt will do fine and dandy if it's what your rifle likes the best.

Art Eatman
December 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
Using bullets heavier than 150 grains in the '06 for Bambi is a matter of preference, not of any necessity. Bust his neck or blow up the heart/lungs, he's through.

ryalred
December 22, 2008, 12:59 PM
Congratulations on the new gun. I know your going to enjoy it. The 150 grain Core-Lokt works great in my .30-06.

bigjack59
December 22, 2008, 02:18 PM
Your choice of rifle is excellent. I got the same setup, we must both be siper genius individuals! I use a 180 grain Winshester Silvertip. All three of the deer I shot this year laid down and gave no more resistance when hit. The rifle won;t miss and the silvertip is devasting. Awesome combo...

sserdlihc
December 22, 2008, 02:26 PM
I use to shoot 150gr core lockts out of my Sako. Never had any problem. I reload all of the ammo that I shoot now. Not because of accuracy, all due to affordability.