PDA

View Full Version : A Lead Heavy Problem

pecci
December 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I'm California bound.:o On the bright side, I'll be able to hog hunting there. At least for the time being!:( I'm sure in time they'll discover that the all copper projectiles are turning the condors green!

I have a CZ 527 (7.62x39) and a Rem. 700 BDL (6MM). Considering that I need to use all copper ammo from the factory (I do not re-load), only the 7.62x39 non-lead ammo is available from the factory, and only in Corbon with 123gr.bullets. That seems a bit light to me. What do you think?

Should I purchase or trade for another rifle, and if so in what make & caliber? Keep in mind that I'm not fond of a lot of recoil, and the ammo must be available in copper and from the factory.

Thanks!

Scorch
December 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
The 7.62X39 will do the trick on a pig. I killed many of them with a 30-30, so I'm sure you can kill them with that. FWIW, Hornady recently announced a new lead-free bullet, and it should appear in their loaded ammo before too long. Other manufacturers offer them also. You can probably find an ammo reloader that sells them if you go to a few gun shows.

pecci
December 20, 2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks Scorch.

The new Hornady "GMX" (I think) will not be offered in 7.62x39. I don't think Hornady offers any ammo in this caliber, so I doubt it will carry a GMX bullet in 7.62x39 in the near future, either.

Daryl
December 20, 2008, 04:23 PM
Pecci,

Maybe in the 6mm though?

It's a possibility, and the 6mm would work fine on hogs.

Daryl

LateNightFlight
December 20, 2008, 05:27 PM
Wow. Leave it to California to find another reason to mess with ammo. That's how Sierra bullets wound up moving to Missouri. The very name, Sierra, makes you think of Cali. But, nope, it’s Missouri now.

Cali has some big hogs, but I'd think 123 grains would do well.

It ain't all bad. :) There's things I miss about California, like ab diving and spear fishing, or even the access I had to ducks and pheasant there. But I don't miss the limited draw on most of the better X zones, etc.

Did you find their ca.gov F&G ammo page? I'm sure it will be woefully incomplete, perhaps deliberately depending on who manages it. True story: I was on the phone to one of their offices about the X draw years ago. The girl I was speaking with was completely incompetent, and in a moment of exasperation she blurts out, "This is all pointless. People shouldn't even be allowed to hunt!" I authored a complaint, that as far as I know, went nowhere. (And I didn’t get drawn, again. Big surprise. :rolleyes:)
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/certifiedammo.html

Cali still has a lot going for it. You’ll appreciate that when you bag a nice hog. :D

LateNightFlight
December 20, 2008, 05:35 PM
I forgot to mention, I operate the official disposal site for ARs, from anyone California bound. Heck, I'll even cover the shipping cost! :rolleyes:

JonnyReb
December 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
Good to know. I've been wanting to take my mini 30 to a S.C. pig hunt in some swamp near charlston in feb. Hoped it would do well for the close ranges we will be hunting at. Sounds like it will.