PDA

View Full Version : Tactics section in Combat Handguns

IdahoG36
December 19, 2008, 01:08 AM
I am an avid reader of the magazine Combat Handguns, and figured I'd give some of you a heads up in case you weren't aware of this magazine.
They have a nice Tactics section every month. They use Paladin targets, then describe the scenario, and show you how to set up the course. It also shows you how to score your hits.
Not only is it good practice, as sometimes you have to do reloads, run, use cover, shoot past one target to hit another, etc., it is very fun to get some friends together and run the scenarios. Like I said, just a heads up as to another available source of training material/scenarios.

onthejon55
December 19, 2008, 01:17 AM
thank you!
will look into it next time im in the groceries magazine section

Wagonman
December 19, 2008, 06:43 AM
Why is it that when I am perusing gunrags in store they seem much more interesting than when I get them home. I just blew $12 on a couple of mags that I probably won't read.

matthew temkin
December 19, 2008, 07:57 AM
Wagonman, I have been thinking the same thing for years!!!

David Armstrong
December 19, 2008, 01:02 PM
When I used to teach regularly and ran a range we used the CH "Tactics" scenarios regularly. They are a good source of (usually) well-thought out realistic scenarios for the shooter, as well as frequently they will give an analysis of the whats and whys of the scene.

Wagonman
December 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thank god it's not just me:)

toro
December 19, 2008, 04:22 PM
I was in the original group when Rick Miller started the Paladin program. Most were graduates of Jeff Coopers Gunsite. I made 90% of the moving , bobbing and other trick targets. There is a lot of experienced talent in the Paladin Program , glad you like it.
Toro

ActivShootr
December 19, 2008, 04:43 PM
I work for a printing company that prints a few gun mags. C'mon guys, BUY MORE MAGAZINES!!! I want a new handgun. ;)

Brit
December 20, 2008, 06:42 AM
Sorry for the printer! When the only magazine available to me was Guns and Ammo, I bought it.

Now that my local Barnes and Nobles has a dozen or more, I will glance through them while drinking one of the excellent coffees they sell.

Rick Miller comes to mind when you need to design a course of fire in a IDPA match, he has been around quite a few years, the diagrams are excellent.

I have help in fighting the urge to buy one however (My Wife!) and place the magazine carefully back on the shelf, just were I got it from.

IdahoG36
December 20, 2008, 08:28 PM
I don't read most of the gun mags out there. They aren't that great. I like Combat Handguns, and a lot of the special editions that G&A puts out like Combat Arms, Book of the AR-15, Book of the 1911, etc. They come out about every 3 months to 6 months. They are pretty informative.
Most of the other mags, like G&A, American Rifleman, etc. are just full of lame reviews and too many ads. They are a waste of money.

Maximus856
December 21, 2008, 11:23 AM
Mr. Wagonman and friends, I think the 'boring' magazines are boring because when it comes to tactics, theres only so many ways to pull a trigger. Its like training in the military. We're rush the enemy by using the bounding technique, we do it 10 times and then they say were going to try a different technique. Know what that technique is? Same one except now its up a hill! :rolleyes:

As my gunny would say, theres only so many ways to skin a cat. Not saying the magazines aren't informative as all training is good training, just throwing in my two cents ;)

-Max

Wagonman
December 21, 2008, 12:24 PM
First, Mr Wagonman is my father :)

I don't look at gunrags for "tactics" I just want to be entertained in the library

Bob F.
December 21, 2008, 08:36 PM
Less $ on gun mags, more on guns & ammo (not the mag!). Enjoy Combat Handguns but always felt ripped off. SOmetimes the same story was featured 2 or 3 times on the cover. ENjoy reading Bart Skelton ( not as much as his Old Man, but Skeeter lived in a different time) and Jim Wilson along with some others, but don't generally feel the value's there with the magazines.

Stay safe.
Bob

Jeff22
December 27, 2008, 05:56 AM
We've been using scenarios from the Paladin Program at police in-service for years. When I was actively involved in running matches at the local IPSC club (in the 80s) I often used some of Rick's scenarios as individual stages, but with IPSC targets and scoring.

I hope someday he compiles a book of all of his courses of fire.