PDA

View Full Version : New Winchester Safe from Wal-Mart...

UrbnSnpr
December 17, 2008, 08:01 PM
Just got one of these today, and after getting it installed in the house, I'm having some trouble with the shelves. Since I'm putting my long guns in this one, I had to move the big shelf up a foot or two, and those little metal things that clip into the rails along the safe wall will not re-seat themselves. They keep popping loose before I can situate the shelf. Has anyone else had experience with these types of safes/shelves who could share some tips on how to get those little buggers in there?

ZEBRARANGER
December 23, 2008, 04:56 PM
Angle the clip in from the top, in the top hole first. Then, push up and in on the bottom of the clip as you seat the bottom of the clip in the track.

ScottsGT
December 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
You might have to squeeze them with pliers a little. Not too much though.

renegadebuck
December 29, 2008, 07:50 AM
I went big, heavy and fireproof with my safe. My main concern was killing a fireman that was trying to rescue me in a fire, or save my house. Small light ones (under 1k lbs) are just a handy way for a thief to carry out your valuables. Not saying yours is light as I'm not familiar with that brand. Mine is a 1.5k lb Champion, bolted through the floor to concrete supports under the house, poured over a 6" I beam, fire rated at 90 mins @ 400 degrees, less than 100 degrees inside. Now with ammo, I need another one, sigh....

gustav129
December 29, 2008, 09:49 AM
I went big, heavy and fireproof with my safe. My main concern was killing a fireman that was trying to rescue me in a fire, or save my house. Small light ones (under 1k lbs) are just a handy way for a thief to carry out your valuables. Not saying yours is light as I'm not familiar with that brand. Mine is a 1.5k lb Champion, bolted through the floor to concrete supports under the house, poured over a 6" I beam, fire rated at 90 mins @ 400 degrees, less than 100 degrees inside. Now with ammo, I need another one, sigh....

Paper catches of fire at 451deg, so a safe rated at 90min@400deg is worthless. Must be a typo.

Loader9
December 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
Be careful with that Winchester safe. A good friend just bought one and like you, he has had issues with the clips. Just so you know, the safe is nothing more than a metal skin on the outside with sheetrock inside with a nice fabric on it. The rails to the clips are screwed into the sheetrock which means it isn't going to hold a lot of weight on the shelves. I took some 1"x1" light wall aluminum and rebuilt the interior of his to hold the weight he wanted. He put about 50 pistols on the 2 shelves in his and some clips and ammo. Probably several hundred pounds. Frankly, I was disappointed in the "safe" as any idiot that knows you have one can cut one open almost as fast as you can open it with the combination. A cordless saw with a carborundum blade will do it in less than a minute. I hope you have an alarm system to go with it. His is the 37" wide x 23" deep x 70" tall interior dimensions. I don't remember how many guns it's suppose to hold but it is one of the bigger ones. Best of luck.