PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me???

OH-CCW
December 16, 2008, 05:06 PM
I just purchased my 2nd Springer a 1911-A1 Mil-Spec. Everytime I read on these type of gun forums there is a thread asking about "which 1911" would you buy. It seems the GI and Mil-spec take abuse. I guess I didnt realize that everyone owned custom 1911. I'm perfectly happy with my 1911 and can shoot with most and hold my own. I guess my conscience get to me when i see the constant negativity towards these lower end guns.

My question is i guess, i feel i have a nice gun, am i misinformedabout my purchase?

hdawson228
December 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
OH-CCW. I have the SA "GI" in stainless and love it. I did send it back to SA for the Milspec sights, enlarged and beveled ejection port and a trigger tune down to 3.5 lbs. I cannot think of a single need for this pistol. Not into holes in hammers and triggers and custom engraving and more "groves" on the slide. I'm old, so it reminds me of fixing up the old jalopies of my youth with finder skirts and spinner hubcaps.:cool:

jdc1244
December 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
I guess I didnt realize that everyone owned custom 1911

FWIW I don’t – 4 bone-stock Colts that run perfectly; I also like them just the way they are.

Smaug
December 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
OH-CCW, have you ever shot a custom or semi custom 1911?

I agree that spending hundreds on fancy-looking parts doesn't necessarily make a better gun. But spending a few bucks on parts that help performance without losing any reliability, that seems like a good plan to me. Good sights and a good trigger do help.

Bama46
December 16, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have an Auto Ordnance that I have owned for over a quarter of a century. I have never felt that I had anything but a fine .45ACP. It shoots straight, it feeds and ejects and I can hit what I aim at... what more can I say...
I did get a new set of sights on it, but that is because 60+ year old eyes don't see as well as 18 year old ones do...I did it for me, not because the gun needed them..