PDA

View Full Version : Ring question

Norrick
December 16, 2008, 03:49 AM
for a remington 700.

I need rings for a 30mm scope 50mm objective. How do I know if I need medium/high/extra high?

and do I need "standard" mount style for just the two holes that are in the rifle from the factory?

sourdough44
December 16, 2008, 06:04 AM
There should be 2 sets of 2 holes on top. One for the front & the other for the rear scope bases. That is a very common gun & easy to do. You just have to match the type of bases with the rings you plan to get, 'weaver bases' for 'weaver style' rings, or whatever. I think the 'high' rings would be a good place to look. Not every companies high is the same height. I doubt it would be to high & would also give you room to get at the action, work the bolt, load & unload.

Some scope company brochures give info on ring height per gun & whatever scope, if you want to research further. riflescope.com & the Burris site should have something. I may just get some Warne 'weaver' style bases & high 30mm Warne rings if they have them & have at it. midwayusa.com

cbm1948
December 16, 2008, 12:05 PM
Norrick, Call the manufacture of the rings and bases and get their recommendation for the height. Tell them which Rem 700 you have and the brand and manification of scope and they will be happy to fix you up. Then you can order via the web or pick up at retail.

ronl
December 16, 2008, 05:14 PM
Ideally you want the objective to be as close as possible to the barrel without touching it. I think you'd need the high rings for a 50mm scope. I use the Burris Zee rings and they are very easy to work with. I think the info about them is on the Burris websight.

ndking1126
December 17, 2008, 01:15 AM
When I bought a 50mm scope a while back, I bit the bullet and went to my local gun shop (which was unusually expensive) because I had that very same question. I figured if I messed up even once, the cost of return shipping would put the overall out of pocket expense not too far from just going there in the first place.

Might consider that option.