PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted for Purchase of a .22 Sporter

dgludwig
December 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm looking to buy a classic (walnut stock and blued steel), accurate, good handling .22 sporter that has sling swivel studs and factory iron sights (although factory irons are getting harder and harder to find and I may have to forget this option in my quest) installed. I am willing to pay upwards of $800.00 or so but would like to pay much less :). Rifles I've been considering include the Anshutz 1416 DKL, the CZ 452 LUX, the Ruger 77/22, the Remington 504/547 "Custom", the Winchester 52 reproductions, the Sako Finnfire Hunter, and (used due to high prices) Cooper and Kimber variants. In other words, a classic squrrel hunting set-up!

Any and all inputs, recommendations and insights much appreciated.

ken22250
December 14, 2008, 04:02 PM
i dont know about the repros, but the winchester 52 is widley considered the best 22 rimfire rifle ever made, if you can get a origional, its well worth the price, if not i would get a repro, my grandfather has a vintage 1959 Winchester 52 he got new for about $150, there has been countless thousands of rounds fired through it, and ive seen heavy barreled .22 that wolnt shoot as well as the old winchester,i would definatley go for a 52.
ken

hodaka
December 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
The Winchester is good advice if you can find one. It will always be worth as much as you pay (probably). I have a CZ that is very nice and hard to beat in a bolt gun. You may wish to include a 39A Marlin in your list. Another classic squirrel rifle that gets better and better. Mine won't hang with my CZ on paper, but it comes close enough.

Brad Clodfelter
December 14, 2008, 04:20 PM
Why not look for a good used Rem 541S? You should be able to find a good one that is almost like in new condition if you look. They shoot real well.

Brad Clodfelter
December 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118230256

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118153939

rugerfreak
December 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
Browning T-bolt------no sights though.

velocette
December 14, 2008, 06:23 PM
How about a CZ 452 Full stock???
Elegant, accurate, excellent iron sights and moderately priced.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/452FS012.jpg

dgludwig
December 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=118153939

Thanks for the links, Brad, but what's with the big, fat recoil pad on this rifle? The Remington 514 does meet my criteria but they seem to be fetching a pretty hefty price nowadays.

dgludwig
December 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
You may wish to include a 39A Marlin in your list. Another classic squirrel rifle that gets better and better.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already got one of these. Mine wears a Williams receiver sight and, like you said, it just gets "better and better". I also have other .22s but this time around I'm looking for a very accurate (though not necessarily having bench-rest standards; "minute-of-squirrel" will do) bolt-action. Always looking for a good excuse to add to my collection! ;)

dgludwig
December 14, 2008, 06:46 PM
How about a CZ 452 Full stock???

Hmmm...I like the looks of your rifle and like mannlicher full-length stocks in general but the butt stock on your 452 appears a little generous in terms of size to my eyes. Not a big (no pun intended :) ) thing really and I could get past that a lot faster than, say, one of those "roll-over" monte carlo combs. Still, I do like the overall looks of your rifle. What does "moderately priced" mean?

ken22250
December 14, 2008, 08:01 PM
have a cheap glenfield model 25 that will shoot like this all day, with federal bulk 36gr hp ammo thats 13$ at wallmart, it makes an exelent squrell rifle, and i only paid $50 for it from my uncle.
ken

Brad Clodfelter
December 14, 2008, 08:07 PM
I'm glad you caught that for I didn't see it. That's a recoil pad off of a 870 Wingmaster shotgun I do believe. It definately isn't standard. I do know that teh Rem 541S rifles would shoot extremely well. One of the best shooting sproters that Remington made besides the 40X sporter which is very expensive now. ;)

You should be able to find a good one for $700. Just look around. The Anschutz 1416 rifle will be a good shooting rifle.

Brad Clodfelter
December 14, 2008, 08:12 PM
The 541S doesn't have sling studs. And they also have a plastic magazine. But they shoot as good as any sporter I know of for the price.

Horseman
December 14, 2008, 08:18 PM
Does anybody have an accuracy review of the long discontinued Browning A-bolt .22? I've heard mixed opinions but from long ago when they were still in production.

dipper
December 14, 2008, 08:31 PM
dg,

Go Here to look ask questions also:

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Check out the talk on all the rifles.
Read the CZ section.

dgludwig
December 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
Hey Dipper, I'm a member and have posed the same questions there. Just hitting all the bases! Thanks anyhow.

Scorch
December 15, 2008, 02:35 AM
I kinda like accurate 22 rifles. I have a couple of them myself. I have a 10/22 that will shoot match accurate, I have a Remington 541T, which, although not as accurate as the 10/22, is extremely accurate, and I have several 77/22s, which are very accurate (the Target Grey more so than the 77/22 All Weather with the boat-paddle stock). For all around carrying and shooting, I really like the 77/22. It carries more like a big game rifle, doesn't have a cheezy plastic mag hanging out in the air from down below, and although the 10/22 shoots well, there is just something about a bolt action that inspires confidence. Any one of these rifles will shoot 3/4" or better at 50 yds. I am in the process of planning a build on a Remington 541/581 action that should be sweet. All said and done, the wood on the Remington is the nicest, but I have seen several 77/22s with very nice wood. If cost is no object (which is seldom the case), a Cooper would be the way to go.

HOGGHEAD
December 15, 2008, 03:39 AM
Find a good used original Kimber model 82. They are a real "Classic". And basically they are as good as it gets. They handle like a dream, and shoot lights out. And they turn every body's head at the range.:D:D:D Tom..

STxShooter
December 15, 2008, 09:38 AM
I ordered a Weatherby Mark XXII .22 LR last week. This Weatherby uses the Anschutz match 64 hardware, (the Anschutz 1416 barreled action). I found a great price for the rifle.... $699 + tax. I'll be getting it on Wednesday.....Can't wait to get her to the range!

Here's the link.....

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=10158

Good luck!

Bottom Gun
December 15, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have a 1416 Anschutz and a Finnfire. They are both equally accurate but I prefer the way the Anschutz stock is cut.

NWCP
December 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
Add the Winchester 69A to your list. Poor mans 52. Very accurate and reasonably priced. Mine has taken countless rabbits and squirrels.

dgludwig
December 15, 2008, 01:19 PM
STxShooter: Thanks for the heads up. From what I know, you got a great price on a beautiful .22 sporter! Our local shop has a couple in stock but they want almost $900.00 for one. I'm not a big fan of the Weatherby "look"; like I mentioned earlier, I much prefer a more understated,"classic" style when it comes to all firearms. No white spacers, laminated stocks, roll-over combs or super-shiny stocks for me, thank you. There's just no accounting for tastes!

jbrown
December 15, 2008, 06:41 PM
Take a look at the ruger 10/22 deluxe sporter.
deluxe checkered walnut stock
open sights.
sling studs.
I do think it has a aluminum reciever ,though.
Mine has proven quite accurate ,when I have been able to get it out.
About $300 or so.