PDA

View Full Version : Removing Mini 14 handguard?

Mike215
December 13, 2008, 02:05 PM
Can anyone tell me if the handguards on the mini just come right off, or am i missing something... Do i need to unscrew anything? :confused:

hodaka
December 13, 2008, 08:27 PM
Pops right off. To take the mini apart, just unhook the back of the trigger guard, pull the trigger mechanism downward. After that, the mini just falls apart (pretty much).

Swampghost
December 13, 2008, 08:36 PM
With the wood stock there is a spring clip that needs to be removed. I use a 90* seal removal tool (small one from Snap-On tools). You need to re-form it by hand for re-assembly and it's a PITA both ways.

If somebody has a better way I'd like to hear it. With the rain down here mine gets knocked apart a lot.

hodaka
December 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
SG -Why do you need to remove the spring clip? The spring tension holds the handguard to the barrel. Like I said, the handguard pops right off if you lift it at the rear. It is a spring.

hoytinak
December 14, 2008, 10:47 AM
Like stated just pop off the back off first and lift the handguard off....this is how mine's done, even with the wood stock.

csmsss
December 14, 2008, 11:22 AM
Pops right off. No big deal at all. I've seen folks replace these with Picatinny/weaver mounts.

Mike215
December 14, 2008, 12:10 PM
Thank you guys for the fast feedback. My handguard just popped right off with no issues. A second of a struggle but no issues. I ordered a choate handguard. I think it looks cooler :D. And i have a 181 series mini. Made in 1980, if that means anything :p. Again, thank you guys for the fast responses. Theres a reason why i come here for all my questions ;). Thanks again.

-mike

Swampghost
December 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
The one that I was referring to is a 180 prefix made in '76. THAT handguard definitly does not 'just pop off' or pop back on.

Logs
December 14, 2008, 06:51 PM
Whatever you do DON"T take out the screws holding the front gas assembly. Pain in the A$$ getting that back together.

Mike215
December 15, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'll keep that in mind:p. Thanks for the input guys!:)