PDA

View Full Version : southern NJ to allow feral hog hunting,nice.

rem870hunter
December 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
just found out last night that we supposedly have a hog problem in area 25. supposedly 200+ lbs. sizes. we are regulated to shooting them while deer hunting,in that area only, and if you did not already harvest 2 deer. i've not seen signs of them,tracks,scat, etc.

is there something that i should be looking for to find their hidings?

anything special about field dresing them and butchering them?

we are responsible to butcher them ourselves,we do have to check them in at a deer checking station,just like a deer. and we have 1 designated checking station for the hogs. that station does however have goofy hours,10am-6pm m-f,10am-2pm sat-sun.

NukeCop
December 10, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm in Southern NJ right now too, but I've not heard of this! Where are you? I'm game for a bit of stalking them if I can get a day off duty! PM me if your interested!

wpcexpert
December 10, 2008, 07:43 PM
Water/swampy areas. Have you ever seen Hog sign, like rooting. It will almost look like turkey scratchings, but gouges and roots turned up. Almost like you took a tiller to particular areas.

If you can find some fresh rootin, hunt it. I've hunted hogs that you could durn near set your watch by, and others that never stayed in one place. Hogs are fun to hunt, even more fun to shoot with a bow. They make really cool sounds when you stick an arrow in them. Shoot HOGDOGS a PM if he doesn't respond to this thread. He's got more hog experience than most.

armedtotheteeth
December 10, 2008, 08:07 PM
Yes , look for places that have been "tilled" They usually look for roots and bugs. the hide during the day, usually under thick tree cover, and near water. There will usually be "wallows" near the edge of the water as well. They will mostly show their faces during late evening, and up until about sunrise. They are a good bit tougher to clean than a Deer, as their hide is tougher. Skinning is the main difference. other than that, same ole stuff. You cant make Jerky out of it, bit, anything else is good eating. I personally like the ribs myself. I lost count of the Pigs I killed this year. Im figuring 30-40 anyhow. Lots of them here, unfortunatley lots of cover too.

rem870hunter
December 10, 2008, 08:15 PM
i have seen areas like you are describing,torn up. but it seemed to me maybe turkeys scratching or deer pawing. looking for acorns,etc. but now it sounds like it may be hogs. i guess its a good thing i didn't se any of them while small game hunting :eek:. all i had then was high and low 7.5 shot.

hogdogs
December 10, 2008, 08:23 PM
Heavy rooting does look like your drunken neighbor randomly rototilled your yard. Lazy day beds will be in semi wet semi mud and will be dished out and packed. Real fresh beds will have hair impressions too. Tracks are similar to deer but have rounded fronts rather than pointed. due to foot structure their due claws will print in firmer soil than a deer's track. Look for heaviest traffic trails to be slightly above the water level of the swamp. If you think they are nearby (but can't find tracks), put out some sour corn where ONLY YOU know of it. Check it every day or 3... Once they hit it you can track to their main trails. DO NOT HUNT OVER THE BAIT IF ILLEGAL!!!! Just use it for a tracking aid.
Here is sour corn....
1 bag corn will make 3 or 4 5 gal. buckets. fill each bucket to within 3 inches as it will swell some. Add one of those tiny envelopes of bakers yeast (comes 3 in a strip) to each bucket and fill with water to about an inch from the top. Place a lid on top BUT DO NOT SNAP IT SHUT!!!! IT WILL POP!!!! Leave sit a minimum 3 days at above 50-60 degrees.... 7-14 days at 80 is better! Sour corn is not a retched odor. In fact it is just sour mash of whiskey until you steam it off but our friends at BATF frown on that as much as homemade silencer...
sling a few pounds here and there saving the juice. sling the juice onto the overhead foliage and limbs to increase the scent travel...
feel free to ask Q's, I will answer only what I know...
Brent

armedtotheteeth
December 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
Dont try to take a Hog with a shotgun unless you have slugs. One of the funniest stories i have ever been told was by a deaf mute telling about how he tried to kill a wild hog he found sleeping under a tree with a 12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot. He stuck the muzzle up against his head and pulled the trigger. The ****** off hog nearly killed him. It was funnier when the deaf mute told the story with all the arm shaking and funny noises. what a hoot. They are tough. watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4fIiijYiOY

the asteriscs mean really really mad

bswiv
December 10, 2008, 08:37 PM
I am wondering how hogs will behave when you get a good dusting of snow? What would that be like.............very interesting I'd say.

Hogdogs is the expert so pick his brain......................

armedtotheteeth
December 10, 2008, 08:40 PM
hogs dont mind snow, much. Makes them easier to track :D. They still have to eat, drink and poop.

hogdogs
December 10, 2008, 09:35 PM
I must bow out when it comes to hogs in snow!:D I bet if you find a peat bog that doesn't freeze solid the hogs will find it too.
Another place to look is IN THE CREEKS!!!! They will root 2 feet deep water for the tubers of some lily varieties. ATTT mentions ribs... You will find that most migratory feral hogs will have little in the way of rib meat where those living in close proximity to croplands will have more. I personally prefer to just cut the rib meat out from the rib cage and freeze it for use where small bites of pork are the norm.
Brent

armedtotheteeth
December 10, 2008, 09:59 PM
our Local pigs get fat on our hay fields and lazy city hunters deer feeders. These Lazy city deer hunters drive around in 4 wheelers because they are 2 lazy to hunt. Wild pigs are not stupid and avoid 4 wheelers. This leaves more pigs for me to hunt when stupid city hunters are away. I thank the City hunters for feeding my wild hogs with their $8 bag of deer corn. :D. I have found wild hog ribs are pretty durn hard to beat. Boil them in beer/ water for about 10 minutes and finish them off over the grill. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rem870hunter
December 10, 2008, 10:20 PM
the info didn't say anything about bait being illegal for the hogs. we can bait for deer. so i'll give the sour corn trick a try.

funny thing is that the way the posting is written about being allowed to hunt them. it's only legal in deer zone 25,with legal deer hunting weapons and ammunition/projectiles during legal deer hunting hours. the torn up area i saw is right between a corn field ( corn still standing) and a creek. the area in between the corn and the creek is wooded, not dense but not open.

but it seem as though they don't want you to simply target the hogs,they will allow you to shoot any hogs that you see and can get a shot at,while out hunting for deer.

on the right hand side of the f&w is a link you can click for the info. www.njfishandwildlife.com

what i like about area 25 is a few of the spots,the corn field spot in particular is no more than 5 miles from my home, and it has permit shotgun/muzzloading rifle running to last day of january,unless it's a sunday.

armedtotheteeth
December 10, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hmm, Farmers here ask hunters to come clean up their land from pigs. Its Year round here and I use an assortment of Ar 15s, Ak 47s Ar 30, Ar -10 ,SKS. Its nice to live in a republican gun loving state. None of this "area 25" crap. Only on Tuesdays after the Full moon fo 2.6 minutes. Man, I dont know how you guys live life up there in them Liberal states. Id pull my hair out.

Swampghost
December 10, 2008, 10:44 PM
If you go to YouTube there is a guy in Hawaii that fillets them. Use this 'cleaning hogs Hawaii' on the search, the site is currently undergoing maintenance.

rem870hunter
December 10, 2008, 10:44 PM
the feral hog news is completly new to me. i had no clue they are here. i would love it for a farmer or 2 to allow me permission to hunt their land. my guess with area 25 being the zone is because alot of people complaining finally were heard and listened to. they may expand it to other areas if the problem progresses. whether they do or don't i'll hunt them. its one more species that can be eaten :D.

the state is broken up with various deer hunting zones/areas. some have longer seasons than others. certain parts of the season have different hunting weapons. its starts in sept. with bow,then dec. is muzzleloader and shotgun. more muzzleloader though. some areas stop gun hunting into the month of jan. as to which you can only use bow. some you can use bow,muzzleloader rifle, and shotgun. but you can only be in possesion of one weapon at a time in the woods or fields.

FrontSight
December 11, 2008, 12:25 AM
How Long Before They Hit Ny?!

guntotin_fool
December 11, 2008, 12:33 AM
How Long Before They Hit Ny?!

They already live in NYC. spotted at this address...East end Ave at 88th...

thallub
December 11, 2008, 06:51 AM
Most states with a budding hog problem have not learned a darned thing from those states that are over-run with hogs. I like that term "allow hog hunting." This is the attitude that the OK wildlife people took and now we are up to our necks in hogs. The panjandrums who run the wildlife resource agencies of many states are still deathly afraid that someone will poach a deer.

Here in OK they will still not allow us to hunt hogs at night with a light: There is that deer thing again. Never mind that the wildlife commission
shot hogs from helicopters in two OK WMAs last year.

armedtotheteeth
December 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
They reproduce explosivley. Before you know it, they will be everywhere and impossible to root out. We cant kill them all here in Texas and there is an idiot with a Sks, Ak or Ar 15 behind every fencepost.

XLT
December 11, 2008, 04:40 PM
armedtotheteeth...which podunk texas do you live near/in?

I have heard often of these guys that are looking to get rid of pigs on their land, but everyone I have actually talked to wants $150-$300/pop...

wpcexpert
December 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
West Virginia has 4 counties that you can hunt them in. I never got into it when I lived there. Not real sure on their view of them. But ever since I can remember, it's only been those 4 counties.

rem870hunter
December 11, 2008, 10:18 PM
i stopped in the designated hog check in station around 4 today,for more ammo. 1 hog was checked so far this week. can't recall if it was yesterday or today. weighed in around 100 pounds. was shot with a muzzleloading rifle. i asked where at in 25. he said it was killed near the spots where i saw the torn up areas.

texfar
December 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
I live in the Hill Country XLT and used to post my card at general stores, gas stations etc in and around the hill country. Would bet lots of calls. I do believe that money has changed that a lot, period. Hard these days to find access to lots of places anymore without paying someone something. Where there are a lot of planted fields will see the most destruction of property and crops. More likely to get the owner of a farm/ranch with hay fields or crops to allow you in, but if they ain't tearin up crops they are destroying fences.
Ken

Bitmap
December 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
is there something that i should be looking for to find their hidings?

Look for areas that look like they've been bulldozed.

have seen areas like you are describing,torn up. but it seemed to me maybe turkeys scratching or deer pawing. looking for acorns,etc. but now it sounds like it may be hogs.

You can tell the difference because deer and turkey usually don't till up land in 1 acre chunks. If you get a bunch of turkeys together they can do it, but usually the pigs are more destructive.

VaFisher
December 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
The ****** off hog nearly killed him. It was funnier when the deaf mute told the story with all the arm shaking and funny noises. what a hoot.

It's sad you got so much joy out of a deaf mute's funny noises, there are people that are a bit short on some of the normal things most people take for granted like hearing but don't make fun please it's not nice.

hogdogs
December 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
One of the teens Junior hunts with is deaf. It can be a challenge at times and junior has learned to jump up and stomp down to alert chris if he is up ahead not looking back. When a buddy asked how he figured it would work he recited the story of me and a deaf girl in gym class that got paired up as "last picks" for dance lessons.
She "felt" the music thru the floor. Chris one strong young man and loves to tote the caught pig no matter how far! I love about him...
Brent

VaFisher
December 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Rmart30
December 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
Easiest way to find out if there are pigs around is soured corn and a game cam.
Put out regular corn and the deer may/will get it before the hogs find it...
If you dont have time to sour corn get you a small spray bottle of diesel fuel and mist the corn enough to make it smell.. Deer wont eat it but the hogs will. I keep a old 2 oz doe scent spray bottle with diesel in it in a ziploc bag.
Here is a picture of what rooting looks like...... Ive never seen them tear a entire field up...... just spots like in this picture

http://travel.mongabay.com/china/images/china_02-8700.html

NickG
December 19, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi all, am a new member. Three of us being long time hunters live in Monmouth county NJ and would like to hunt pigs in zone 25. If any of you know of a farmer or guide that would be interested in working with us, we would be happy to receive any information you can pass on.

We also are looking for areas to hunt geese and are looking for farmers that may want to rent access to their land. We are responsible and will do right by any and all. I appreciate any referrals, feel free to email me. Many thanks, Merry Christmas!

NickG

Dave P
December 19, 2008, 01:53 PM
We get hogs by the dozen around here. See a couple of new dead ones on the side of the highway every week. We don't use wimpy shotguns - Mauy Thai is the way to really have some fun with them!

rem870hunter
December 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
hello nick welcome to the forum.

rmart the area i saw what looked like signs of hogs,did not look like the pic you posted. it was more like deer pawing or turkey scratching.

not like someone was digging with a ditch witch to run cables or pipes.
my g/f, uncle said something about a golf course nearby that has them causing problems. but i think its on the border of 25 and another zone though. maybe just outside of it. i'll have to look it up.

dac12
December 19, 2008, 09:31 PM
I just read this on the fish and wildlife site, now I guess I got to head down to south jersey next deer season.

armedtotheteeth
December 21, 2008, 04:04 PM
Borders... Zones>> How do you guys keep up with all the " you can do this, and you can do that , but not on Tuesday during the month precluding the Full Moon when Saturn is on the Right Ascension to VEnus. Itll come a time when Hogs are all over the place and they will be destroying Gardens in town, cars on the Highway. Im sure the Muslim Population in your area will enjoy the fact that they are hunted now.
Hog hunting is fun!! Wish yall had more freedoms up there in your neck of the woods.

rem870hunter
January 22, 2009, 09:50 AM
have'nt seen any hogs or definet signs of them yet while deer hunting. i'm still looking though.

fyrdog929
November 8, 2009, 04:55 AM
I hunt in zone 25 but have found no sign of hog, I am looking for a place to hunt them, does anyone know where I can go in 25 to find them?