PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Match Rifle

keys85
December 8, 2008, 03:55 PM
I have one of those lead wedge weights in the stock of my match rifle, I trimmed it to balance at the delta ring. I am curious to where most shooters balance their rifle. Do many shooters make their rifles slightly muzzle heavy or generally keep it balanced right at the delta ring? I prefer a slightly heavy muzzle for stability and control, therefore was thinking of trimming my weight just a hair more.

Balance @ delta ring where it meets up w/ receiver versus center of delta ring versus foward of delta ring at the start of handgaurds? Where exactly is your balance point?

shooterer
December 8, 2008, 04:52 PM
I balance my rifles at the delta ring

I shoot HP with a "thumb out delta hold" (thumb near ejector port, glove jammed in the gap and fingers facing my shoulder) this hold locks my wrist the best and keeps the muzzle from moving (too much).

My service rifle is at about 15 1/2 lbs. I have a full weight in the hand guard and 7/8 of a wedge in the butt.

Jim

kraigwy
December 8, 2008, 07:06 PM
Cpt Crossman, in his book recommends that any serivce rifle be held at the mag well (or just ahead of the mag on mag. rifles) When held there the rifle should just start to time at the muzzle end. I believe the all guard teaches this or did when I went to their coaches clinic. I also preached the same thing when I was coaching the AK NG Rifle Team.

My AR Service Rifle (White Oak Upper) is a bit muzzle heavy so I put lead shot into the buttstock until it just starts to tip at the muzzle. Sure helped me.

Of course my AR now weighs 13.5 lbs. But wht the heck, it helps my shooting.

darkgael
December 8, 2008, 10:05 PM
"weighs 13.5 lbs"
That's about what mine weighs. Balance point is ahead of the mag well so that it's a tad heavy toward the muzzle. Just a tad.
Pete

4EVERM-14
December 10, 2008, 03:35 PM
I added stick-on wheel weights under the handguards. The rifle balances at the middle of the mag well. Not sure of the total weight. Wife threw the bathroom scale away. Said it was malfunctioning.

P-990
December 10, 2008, 10:16 PM
Mine balances right at the delta ring, or close to. I have a WOA Wilson barrel on it right now, and no longer need a forend weight to balance it! And for some reason my buttstock wedge is wedged in place. Luckily there's only about 1/2 of one in there. All up it weighs about 14 pounds on our bow scale at work.

That said, I'm not sure a couple of wheel weights at the forward tip of the float tube wouldn't hurt. Just get it to tip so the muzzle doesn't bounce as hard when I get aggressive on the trigger offhand. :o

wgb_ks
December 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
My balance point is slightly behind the delta ring closer to the stock. It seems to work for me. As for the weight of the rifle, currently it is about 17 lbs, and if I could I would make it heavier. I was thinking of putting lead weights in the magazine to help stabilize the rifle more. I heard of AR-15 type service rifles pushing 23 lbs!!!

Ken O
December 13, 2008, 08:21 PM
When you say AR15 "match" rifle, I assume your talking about a space gun upper. I shoot AR15 "service" rifle competitions with a couple WOP uppers, so not sure if my post pertains. My balance point is about an inch behind the delta ring. I had weight in the handguard, but took it out. I think the float tube adds enough weight.

Tim R
December 14, 2008, 04:38 PM
Like Ken 0, I have a couple of WOP service rifle uppers. I have the wedge weight in the butt and weight under the hand guards. I really like the Kreiger in upper #2.

T. O'Heir
December 20, 2008, 02:37 AM
"...I prefer..." That's it. What works for you. However, Ken O has a very good point too. Not all matches are the same.