PDA

View Full Version : Which mag for 1911

FireForged
December 7, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have a Springfield milspec and I was wondering what relaible aftermarket mags do you guys use. I am using novak..

David the Gnome
December 7, 2008, 09:11 PM
I had zero problems out of my Novaks, I've also had zero problems out of my Dan Wesson and Wilson Combat mags.

bigghoss
December 7, 2008, 09:25 PM
chip mccormick shooting star mags are great too

VHinch
December 7, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'd advise trying a couple of different ones and seeing what your gun likes best. I use CMC Powermags and WC 47D's the most though.

csmsss
December 7, 2008, 09:40 PM
I like the Wilson Combat magazines - the plastic follower totally eliminates possible issues with the split feed lips that I used to run into quite a bit. But you know what? I like the MecGar magazines even better. My 1911 recently had issues with the slide stop not holding the slide open on an empty magazine - but only with my Wilson magazines. With the Mecgar, the slide continued to operate properly. I've since replaced the slide stop with a new one that functions properly with all my magazines, but still...I prefer the Mecgar magazines. Their single piece metal followers seem absolutely bulletproof to me.

Personally, I recommend staying away from all magazines with the split stamped metal followers in favor of solid followers.

rhillen
December 7, 2008, 09:43 PM
Buy Tripp Research mags, best out there, IMHO

tom234
December 7, 2008, 10:12 PM
CMC power mags work for me. I like the 10 rounders for the range.

Kermit
December 7, 2008, 11:03 PM
Every time I see this question, I reply the same way -- GO w/ WILSON mags :cool:
every mag related problem has gone away once I started using the Wilson mag ;)

popeyespappy
December 7, 2008, 11:09 PM
Been working for me for years.

45_Shooter
December 7, 2008, 11:36 PM
8-round - Wilson 47D's.

7-round - Stock Colt mags.

RickB
December 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
I liked my Novak's, until one cracked, and then, after a friend bought six on my recommendation, all of his cracked. Checkmate Industries still makes a G.I. spec 7-rounder, if that's what you want. They're also a maker of Colt factory mags, and they make just about any type of .45 mag you could want; flush fit, removable base, extended tube, 7-round, 8-round, stainless, blue, etc., etc. Their quality is as good as or better than anything on the market.

roklok
December 8, 2008, 12:18 AM
+ 1 for Tripp Research. I also like Wilsons new ETM

Wagonman
December 8, 2008, 12:59 AM
Is there an inherent problem with the 10 rounders?

How far do they protrude from bottom of magwell?

45_Shooter
December 8, 2008, 01:01 AM
Is there an inherent problem with the 10 rounders?

How far do they protrude from bottom of magwell?

1. They suck to load and stick out too far.

2. About 1-1.5"

hoytinak
December 8, 2008, 01:03 AM
Never tried the Tripp Research mags...might have to get a couple to try out. I've used the Wilson 47D and Novak mags with good results.

Dust Monkey
December 8, 2008, 02:16 AM
Metal Form. Either GI follower or rounded. Metal Form makes mags for Ed Brown. There is one metal form mag I prefer over all others. It's offered by cylnder and slide, 7 round , xtra power spring with bumper pad.

Kreyzhorse
December 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
chip mccormick shooting star mags are great too

+1 to that. You can buy more expensive mags for your 1911, but you can't buy any that are more reliable.

skoro
December 8, 2008, 08:42 AM
I use a pair of 8-rnd McCormick Power Mags for my Colt 1911 and they've been flawless.

Rinspeed
December 8, 2008, 09:00 AM
I've had very good luck with 47Ds.

DaveInPA
December 8, 2008, 09:01 AM
Wilson 47D. 'Nuff said.

ActivShootr
December 8, 2008, 09:08 AM
I use Mec-Gar and factory Kimber(:barf:).

mavracer
December 8, 2008, 09:23 AM
I use CM powermags or GI spec in my 45,wilsons in my 38 super and CM shooting stars in my 10mm.have had good luck with all.

gwnorth
December 8, 2008, 10:14 AM
I have a bunch of ACT mags I bought from topgunsupply.com - no problems with them at all (and ACT makes the Novak branded mags if I remember right).

TacticalDefense1911
December 8, 2008, 10:19 AM
Its going to all come down to what your gun likes. My Kimber Custom II does not like 8 round Wilson mags but does just fine on 7 round factory Kimber mags. In my experience, any 7 round mag will do as long as the spring is not worn out; 8 round mags have been hit or miss. If your Springfield likes Novaks, stick with them. All of the other mags suggested are good mags it just depends on what your gun likes.

longeyes
December 8, 2008, 12:11 PM
For me: Wilsons (old style & new style), Tripp. Mec-Gar, McC. PowerMags, Wolff.

Phonetic Diabetic
December 8, 2008, 12:28 PM
Any aftermarket mags I buy are Novak's. I've only bought 2 for the 1911 I have, and they perform smoothly.

FireForged
December 8, 2008, 06:45 PM
It seems that the top three are:

1. Wilson
2. Mec-Gar
3. Novak

I would like to know more about the novaks splitting.. I like the ones I have but dont intend to buy more if this is a common problem.

BigJimP
December 8, 2008, 07:34 PM
I've tried them all, I think - Wilson all the way.

I've never seen a Novak split ( but I've seen problems with a lot of different mags ) - Kimber, McCormack, Metalform - all kinds of stuff that came with my guns when they were new. Wilson's new 9mm 10 round mags are great too - by the way.

Shane Tuttle
December 8, 2008, 07:45 PM
Wilson 47D either stainless or blued.

I haven't had any problems with stock mags that came with my Springer Loaded, but I like the features and extra round provided with my Wilsons...

The stock Kimber mag I had for my Kimber was pathetic....:barf: