PDA

View Full Version : Laser or Combo Laser/Light for Pistols

HD2006
December 7, 2008, 05:30 PM
I am looking at Crimson Trace, Lasermax, SureFire, and Viridian(with the Green Laser). Which would be your choice for overall reliability and features? Looking for one for my SA XDm, and Glock 17. Thanks:)

rogertc1
December 7, 2008, 05:37 PM
Centerfire arms has some good deals on what you may want..

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/lasers_and_flashlights.aspx?page=2

jaydubya
December 7, 2008, 08:01 PM
I don't know about the other brands, but I have Crimson Trace grips on three handguns, S&W 637 Airweight and 686+, and Browning Hi Power. I would not buy a handgun that CT did not offer a grip for. They are not meant for knocking down steel plates at a hundred yards at high noon, but for HD/SD they are outstanding aids. I am old, and without my glasses I cannot even see the iron sights on my handguns. But I can see that red dot. I practice weekly with iron sights and lasers, and there is no doubt in my mind which is better for me.

There was a thread on another forum that didn't last long before being locked by its regulator. Degenerated into a fight between some guy who thought laser sights were for wimps and another guy who returned the favor. Different strokes for different folks. For those who are skilled with iron sights, I wish you well. I also know that when you are my age, you will understand why I love laser sights.

Cordially, Jack

HD2006
December 9, 2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think a burglar would think it was wimpy if a laser was pointed at his chest or between his eyes in the dark.:eek: Far from it, with a potent round chambered and ready in a defensive revolver or pistol. It is an effective and handy tool to have in the event of a hostile situation.

armsmaster270
December 10, 2008, 01:19 AM
I have CT on 3 of my handguns and am extremly hapPy.

Natchaboy
December 10, 2008, 08:55 AM
I don't know about the other brands, but I have Crimson Trace grips on three handguns, S&W 637 Airweight and 686+, and Browning Hi Power. I would not buy a handgun that CT did not offer a grip for. They are not meant for knocking down steel plates at a hundred yards at high noon, but for HD/SD they are outstanding aids. I am old, and without my glasses I cannot even see the iron sights on my handguns. But I can see that red dot. I practice weekly with iron sights and lasers, and there is no doubt in my mind which is better for me.

There was a thread on another forum that didn't last long before being locked by its regulator. Degenerated into a fight between some guy who thought laser sights were for wimps and another guy who returned the favor. Different strokes for different folks. For those who are skilled with iron sights, I wish you well. I also know that when you are my age, you will understand why I love laser sights.

In everthing I do I look for an edge to make me better than others. Lasers give you several edges. Why can't people understand that. I would buy them just on the idea that they might make a bad guy run away when he sees the light. That is an edge.

Jart
December 10, 2008, 10:24 AM
I snagged a Viridian X5L - haven't done much with it yet but did notice a few minor surprises:

It's not exactly a fast mount-unmount. I was expecting something like an Insight M3 but the little "bar catch" gizmo on the Viridian is inserted after the unit is on the rail. Then there's a "lock-down hex head" affair and an optional second screw-in bar catch. On the other hand, it's solid and repeatable - just won't win any races.

The green laser is bright - I gather it's not really brighter than a red one but, since it's in the middle of the visible spectrum, it appears brighter. Whatever, it's a daylight laser.

The white light has a few different settings but an interesting one is "strobe". Probably pretty disorienting on the receiving end. I'm not sure what to make of it yet but it's there for anyone that wants the feature.

I don't recall where I heard it but it got stuck in my head that "lasers don't look like Hollywood makes them look - you can't see the beam, only the dot". Hollywood would love the Viridian - with a bit of dust or crud in the air in semi-darkness there's a "light saber" effect. Probably not good if one is concerned that lasers would give away one's position but great fun at indoor ranges with poor lighting while Pink Floyd is playing.

There was a thread on another forum that didn't last long before being locked by its regulator. Degenerated into a fight between some guy who thought laser sights were for wimps and another guy who returned the favor.
I remember that one. I'm puzzled by most of the stuff that manages to incite passions on intertubz gun boards but that puzzled me more than most.

I thought this was informative:
http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2008/08/see-dot-be-dot-shoot-dot.html

stephen426
December 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
I had a LaserMax guide rod laser in my Glock 26. I hated it and took it out. The laser is activated by pushing left or right on an extended version of the take down piece. This makes it very easy to accidentally activate the laser and drain the batteries till they're dead. It also does not work for most holsters designed for the Glock since the take down piece is wider than the stock one. Finally, the soot from the bullets will block the laser to the point where it is barely visible after a just a few mags.

At first, I was intrigued by the design since the gun appeared practically stock. I was thinking there would be no problems with holsters, especially compared to rail or trigger guard mounted lasers. Having the laser directly below the barrel also eliminated the parallax error that side mounted lasers would have. All in all... it was a big waste of money.

I have tried the Crimson Trace laser and was pretty impressed by it. BE SURE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS WHEN INSTALLING IT!!! One guy forced the pin in backwards and ended up with a loose fit. There is a small amount of parallax error, but it is more than sufficient for self defense purposes. I would suggest sighting it in for 25 yards since the differences at shorter ranges are less noticable. The other thing is the Crimson Trace system is harder to activate accidentally. In retrospect, I should have gone with Crimson Trace.

armsmaster270
December 13, 2008, 02:37 AM
Thank you stephen I was going to try lasermax but I'll stick to CT now.

BanditSRT8
December 13, 2008, 02:54 AM
As I posted on another forum....

My thoughts and experiences with lasers:

For most of my life, I have had no respect for lasers. "Way back when" we were told by our trainers that a laser was not the best tactical option. Dust and/or smoke in the air gives away your position. People tend to lead with the laser and then follow with their eyes. They can fail and you're left SOL once you have made yourself reliant upon them. Blah, blah blah...

SO I never gave them a second thought. Until last year.

I saw some articles (both written and on video) from Todd Jarrett. Todd was gushing over lasers, and showing some extensive training with them. I then gave them a second look.

While they don't have a place on EVERY gun, nor will they fit EVERY situation, they are much more practical than I once believed. If the situation allowed, I would still prefer to rely on my sights, or instinctive shooting (point shooting).

When I decked out my Glock 19 for my wife, I added a set of the Crimson Trace laser grips and was immediately impressed. It is a hoot to shoot, and while this gun is purely for sport and NOT defense (it is customized and ported), I can see the practical application for a defensive situation, especially in the home.

Once set, they are very accurate... but be sure to set them at the distance you want them to perform at. On a defensive gun, set the laser to be dead on at 7-10 yards MAX. If you only use that gun on the range, and tend to shoot at say 50 yards... set it dead to 50 then.

On the CT Laser grips you adjust this by an allen head screw for windage and elevation. It'll probably take you 20 rounds or so to get it perfect, but once set... they stay put very well. We've probably put 1000 rounds through her G19 since these were installed and it has stayed accurate.

One unnerving thing about lasers is that they show you how shaky your hands really are. They are not (IMO) for static target shooting. You'll never get great grouping from it because the dot moves a LOT on the target. It is for fast target acquisition, and it can be a great tool for accurate shot placement.

Also, keep from falling into bad laser habits (like following the dot to the target), and treat it like your sights... focus on your target, bring the gun to the target placing the dot in the area you are looking at. Use the dot to define the specific pinpoint shot within the area you have already identified visually before the dot was there.

I can see myself adding a laser to one of my own guns in the future, and possibly on a carry gun. I want to practice a bit more with it so that I train myself from becoming completely reliant upon it, but trusting it when I do want to use it.

torasperry
December 13, 2008, 12:31 PM
Have an XD-45 with Viridian Green laser, It is unbeatable, outshines any red laser, Daylight in particular. The Viridian would be my choice again, Check out their website www.Viridian.com for more information.

HD2006
December 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
Got the Crimson Trace Lasergrips for my Glock yesterday. Haven't put them on yet. Might get them for my XDm, or take a look at SureFire X400, or Viridian.

stephen426
December 15, 2008, 10:39 AM
The Veridian looks cool, but I don't know if I want a bulky extension hanging off of my gun. I'm sure it changes the balance and has very limited holster options. If they could get that in a grip type laser, I would consider one for sure. You don't want to have to fumble with switches when you are in a self defense shooting and you should be able to de-acticvate it quickly so the laser can't be used as a point of aim for the bad guy. The performance does look impressive though.