PDA

View Full Version : Ruger rifles

ultramagshooter
December 5, 2008, 02:21 PM
I was just thinking back when I had my hawkeye standard in the 300 win and was talking to my buddy last night and completely forgot we both took out rifles out groundhog hunting the one time and shot them out to 350 yrds. I hit two and he got two. He was just sitting there feeding when I let loose on him and drilled him. The only thing I did was just aimed a little over on the top of his back. I was shooting winchester silver ballitic tips 180 grains. Man that bullet seemed to get to before I knew it. When I got to him turns out it was a baby. A small target to hit at 350. That made me think why do I need an ultra mag. When I can hit groundhogs good out to 350 good and the bullets get there in a split second. I was thinking to the ruger is alot less then the remington. I was thinking later I can add a 26 inch custom barrel onto it. I would already have the action and trigger and stock always I would need is the barrel.

dgludwig
December 5, 2008, 04:40 PM
Shooting .300 Winchesters could get a mite expensive if you're going after more than a couple of groundhogs, even using reloads I would think. Not to mention the recoil generated over a day's shooting. :eek:

ndking1126
December 5, 2008, 04:47 PM
That made me think why do I need an ultra mag.

Very, very few people actually need one. I assume they are more popular because with guys most of the time bigger=better.

At least that's my $.02.. and you didn't pay a dime for it!

sc928porsche
December 5, 2008, 11:43 PM
If you are going to shoo the 300 WM, reloading is the only way to go. They are not all that expensive when reloaded.

Reloaded, the cost difference between the 300 and 06 is about a dollar a box.

Savage99
December 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
ultramagshooter,

A .30 caliber magnum is not really a good choice for woodchuck shooting. The first concern, and its significant, is ricochets from the heavy bullets. Some better chuck shooting cartridges are the .224" and 243's with light bullets.

ultramagshooter
December 6, 2008, 12:27 PM
making sure my gun was on. If I knew I can hit a ground hog from 350 then a deer would be no problem.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
December 6, 2008, 12:37 PM
Sounds like you got a good gun----now just need to direct it to larger targets.