PDA

View Full Version : M4 Suggestions

lovemyM4
December 3, 2008, 12:30 AM
I just ordered the Bushmaster M4 toploading riffle. I want to make the following modifications: red dot sight, front vertical grip, and change flash suppressor.

Can anyone give me suggestions as to which sights best complement this riffle?

Do I have to change the hand guard to add a vertical grip?

sholling
December 3, 2008, 01:27 AM
My Stag (w/CA required bullet button) came with a Midwest Industries (MI) flip up rear sight. I've ordered Troy flip ups for the Adco/White Oak SDM that I'm building. Both have dual apertures but I like the Troy a bit better because it sits lower when folded giving me a bit more clearance for a scope. For the red dot it's hard to beat the deal SWFA has on the Aimpoint CompC3 (http://www.swfa.com/pc-13965-846-aimpoint-compc3-30mm-red-dot-sight.aspx). $390 with a free quick release mount. Add another $10 for the Aimpoint spacer (http://www.swfa.com/c-511-aimpoint-spacers.aspx) to make it sit high enough to co-witness the iron sights and and $25 for rubber armor (http://www.swfa.com/c-851-aimpoint-outer-rubber-covers.aspx) and you're rocking. The only things that you give up with the CompC3 is that it's not night vision compatible and you can only dive to 15' vs 150' underwater with the $520 (plus $95 mount) CompM3. You may be able to work out a deal with SWFA to help you use the MS Live/Paypal/ebay rebate to take some of the sting out of $400.

If you have a plain M4 hand guard, I could be wrong, but I think you have to change to rails and that gets expensive. Danial Defense Omega (drop in) carbine rails are about $250 but no surgery is required. I'm also not sure if our commissars in Sacramento allow vertical foregrips so I'd read up on calguns.net.

ThreeStepsAhead
December 3, 2008, 07:46 AM
If your shooting style is more rapid fire at 300m or less, look into an AIMPOINT red dot. EOTECH also makes a good holographic reticle, too. Both are very good scopes that can take a lot of abuse.

Do you have a rail system?

lovemyM4
December 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
I could be wrong but what I took from calguns.net is my gun is not an assult riffle because it can't accept a detachable magazine, toploader takes max of 10 rounds, and is longer than 30 inches.

The gun comes with a rail system

ThreeStepsAhead
December 3, 2008, 04:00 PM
You poor, poor soul.

I'd say Aimpoint, relatively inexpensive.

Sixer
December 3, 2008, 07:43 PM
I found a Bushnell HoloSight for $200.... It's nothing fancy but it works great. I believe Bushnell makes the Eotech sights as well. They no longer produce the Bushnell HoloSight (why make a less expensive sight when you can call it an EoTech and charge an extra $200 - $300 for it!?) You can probably find one in new or "like new" condition. Then use the money you saved to buy a case of ammo!

ThreeStepsAhead
December 3, 2008, 10:22 PM
Bushnell is indeed made by EOTech. I learned something new today! Impressive.

Thanks for the thread, I will be looking into Bushnell more-

SimpleIsGood229
December 3, 2008, 11:30 PM
Small sections of rail can be bolted onto the cooling holes of a regular M4 handguard. You don't need to install quad-rails, even though they are way more tacticool.