PDA

View Full Version : Which Scope To Buy Leupold Or Nikon?

remingtonman1974
December 1, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hi I Am Thinking Of Up Gradeing My Redfield 5 Star 3-9x50mm Scope. And Was Looking At The Leupold Vxii 4-12x50mm Or A Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x50mm . Wich One Would You Buy And Are They Better Than My Redfield. It Is Going On A Remington Model 7 In 7mm-08.thanks Dennis

j.chappell
December 1, 2008, 12:46 AM
Why are you putting a 4-12x50 on a Model 7? Its not the power I question so much as the size. I have 3 and none of them wear anything larger than a 2.5-8x36 VX-III.

I wouldnt put either of them on one of my Model 7's but I'll always go with Leupold over Nikon.

J.

Art Eatman
December 1, 2008, 10:52 AM
I've never found any 2x7 or 3x9 to be inadequate insofar as magnification. In deer hunting, my scopes stay on 2X or 3X 90% of the time. I guess I'm into "cool factor" enough to not stay with something like a Weaver K4, which would take care of 95% of all shooting. :)

Heck, even the Leupold 3x9x40 that's on my 7mm08 is sorta gilding the lily, and I hunt in wide-open country.

jmr40
December 1, 2008, 05:36 PM
Unless you are going to go with a 30mm tube and spend $800-$1000 on a scope you will gain nothing but weight going to a 50mm objective.

On a model 7 a Leupold VX-3, 2.5-8X with a 36mm objective is as big as I would consider. A straight 4X scope or 2-7 would be a great choice as well

I think the upper end Leupolds are better scopes, but when compared to the VX-1's or Rifleman scopes made by Leupold I would rate a Nikon Prostaff or Buckmaster at least as good. In fact on the lower end scopes I think the Nikons are clearer. The Leupolds are smaller and lighter and have a better reputation for durability.

3StrikesNC
December 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
Here's my 30mm tube, 2x7 Leupold on my Marlin .444 Woods Gun.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/6045gcnc/444MarlinRight.jpg

Most of the time it's on 2x. Lots of light at dawn & dusk. I wouldn't touch a Nikon - it's personal - customer lack-of-support experience.

http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/european-30-riflescopes/european-30-2-7x33mm/

It's about time we start supporting excellent US manufacturers.

3StrikesNC
December 1, 2008, 07:46 PM
On the CMP Traders BB site;
Description: Leupold scope - new in factory wrap (box never opened)
Specs: VX-I 2-7x33mm Matte Duplex.
Model: 56550
Price: $175 shipped

Thanks for looking....

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60005

BTW, it's not me. I'm happy with mine.

skeeter
December 1, 2008, 11:49 PM
I believe most Nikons are made in China and all Leupolds are USA. In any case the Nikons while having good glass are not as strong as the Leupolds. For some reason I see a lot of companies selling "refurbished" Nikons (like Natchez )and never see a refurbished Leupold.

HOGGHEAD
December 1, 2008, 11:54 PM
Youi might want to check that "all Leupolds are USA" comment. I think you might be a bit surprised.

I also agree with the Leupold over the Nikon. But the main reason is for the warranty and the resale value. Leupold is KING when it comes to warranty and resale. Tom.

j.chappell
December 2, 2008, 12:01 AM
I do not like the Nikons, the look and feel just put me in mind of a second rate item. I know that they are getting rave reviews I just dont like them. If money is an oblect I'll go with Burris long before Nikon.

To my knowledge most if not all of the refurbished Nikons on the market are factory refurbs, meaning that they never left the factory. They to my knowledge carry a full factory warranty so if you are in the market for a Nikon a factory refurb might be of interest to you.

J.

Fat White Boy
December 2, 2008, 12:39 AM
I have had a Nikon BuckMaster 3-9X40 on my Winchester Model 70 in Win .270 for 5+ years. I have never had to re-zero. It is tough and accurate. I have a Leupold Vx I 3-9X40 on my Remington 700 in .308. Same deal. Both have been commendable...

BusGunner007
December 2, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hey, what the heck is with the NIKON bashing here?
Yeah, "The Golden Ring" stuff comes with a really nice cloth in the package and a warranty second-to-none, plus more eye-relief than you can shake a stick at!
Still, I own a few of those AND some NIKON scopes ( among other products by NIKON ) and I can say that they are excellent performers.
I also have some Redfield scopes and they, too, fit the bill where I applied them.

I'd say it's in the application where it counts, save for any prejudice you might acquire along the way. ;)
On your 7mm-08 Model Seven, a scope with a "7" at the top end would be about right.
NIKON had a 2-7x32 that was a great scope.
You see the Leupold recommendations here.
Redfield had a 2-7 Widefield that I have on a Marlin 1895 .45-70 that covers the intended use quite well.
It seems you only need to back down a bit on the power to get the size/weight factor that fits the rifle/cartridge combo you have.

Now, I have been accused of going a little too far with some things, like this Remington 7400 Carbine in .30-06.
A pistolgrip stock; a Leupold 4.5-14x40 AO scope; a bipod and 10-rd. magazine...PERFECT!
Everything a rifle expert would say just wouldn't be 'right'...except it worked like a charm!
Hope you have as much fun! Good hunting.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10609BM007_REMINGTON_7400_Y2K_R.jpg

Horseman
December 2, 2008, 02:10 PM
To my knowledge most if not all of the refurbished Nikons on the market are factory refurbs, meaning that they never left the factory.

I believe I read somewhere the reason for so many refurbed Nikons was their policy to replace broken scopes sent in for repair. The broken scopes are then repaired and sold again into the market as refurbed. I don't know this to be fact but read it on SWFA's forum.

When in a recession buy AMERICAN I always say. Unless you grew up in the Phillipines and have some loyalty to Nikon that way. They're both good scopes I own more than 1 on each. The VX III is better than a Monarch IMO. Lighter, smaller, more durable, better customer service, equal optics, more choices of reticles and sizes. Pretty straight forward really.

Smaug
December 2, 2008, 03:42 PM
All else being equal, support the American company. You'll also support our economy.

Nikons can be found at a lower price, and I'm sure the quality is similar. But Leupold's reputation for after-the-sale support is VERY good. I called them once asking how much it would cost to have my VX II 3-9x40 re-focused to be parallax-free at a shorter range (for use with my 22) and they said they'd do it free, for any distance I choose.

remingtonman1974
December 2, 2008, 06:52 PM
guys thanks for all your help went to bassproshops today and bought a new. leupold vx-l 3.5-10x50mm cost was way more but what a scope. gun now shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yards. thanks

BILLDAVE
December 2, 2008, 06:59 PM
How about a Vortex scope? I have a pair of Viper binoculars built by them and they are superb. And they are American made.
BILLDAVE

BusGunner007
December 2, 2008, 07:03 PM
Congratulations on your choice!
You've got everything you wanted or needed and then some...excellent. :D

bclark1
December 2, 2008, 07:10 PM
I like Leupolds as well, but I would echo the crowd who says "practice at low power." Except for bean-field stands, most of the time you're going to want the extra sight picture and short-range capability and then dial-up as needed. Food for though, my Leupolds fixed-2x and 3-9x - and my groups barely improve when I go up to 9x as compared to the 2x, from the same rest at 100 yards. Same bullet, the 2x is on a 16-inch barrel versus a 22-inch barrel at 9x. More zoom doesn't make you more accurate at practical distances.

Happy shooting!

dmozer
December 2, 2008, 08:24 PM
I think the glass on the Nikon is better than the Leupold glass. I wouldn't consider owning anything less than a VX-III from Leupold. Below that class the Nikon is a smoother, cleaner and clearer scope than the Leupy.

Guybo
December 2, 2008, 08:56 PM
How about a Vortex scope? I have a pair of Viper binoculars built by them and they are superb. And they are American made.

These are very nice scopes! I just purchased the Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 for my daughters rem 700 sps youth 243. The brightness and clarity of this scope is outstanding for a $200 scope.

My personal rifles have Leupold and Nikon scopes on them and if i had to choose between the two it would be Leupold because imo it would be easier to sell should i decide to replace it.