PDA

View Full Version : Will silver solder blue??

bswiv
November 24, 2008, 09:12 PM
Will high temp silver solder take a blue? If so what kind?

Bill DeShivs
November 24, 2008, 09:37 PM
You can darken it with 44-40 cold blue.

kraigwy
November 24, 2008, 10:33 PM
hot bluing will eat it. You're gonna have to try some sort of cold blue.

Bill DeShivs
November 24, 2008, 11:07 PM
I don't believe hot bluing will harm hard solder.

Wildalaska
November 24, 2008, 11:37 PM
No

WildnextquestionAlaska TM

Slopemeno
November 24, 2008, 11:41 PM
Silver solder will withstand hot bluing process. You can blacken the silver solder line with Brownells "Silver Solder Black"

The trick to applying it is to attack the silver solder line immediatly after you pull the part out of the tank. Don't stop to oil it, just pull it from the bluing tank, into the rinse tank, and then; have a toothpick that has the tip presoaked in the silver solder black chemical. Rub it on the silver solder line only- don't go out onto the bluing if you can help it. I use about the same pressure you would use to write with a pencil, and rub it over each line 3-4 times. You may want to redip the toothpick and go over it again.

As soon as it looks passable, then oil the part. Bead blasted parts seemed to take this process better than polished parts.

We installed tons of silver soldered front sights on 1911's, Remington Rifle sights on shotguns (hey, it was the 80's) and Ed Brown Mag Wells this way.

Scorch
November 25, 2008, 04:15 PM
hot bluing will eat it.Hot caustic bluing salts will eat soft solder, but not silver solder.

bswiv
November 25, 2008, 06:26 PM
The barrels came out good ( Hot WATER blue. ) but the solder is still silver.............that's the problem.

Should I just go Duracoat? or similar?

How do they do it on fine doubles and the like??

Bill DeShivs
November 25, 2008, 08:57 PM
Just put 44/40 on with a toothpick. It's really simple.

Slopemeno
November 25, 2008, 09:21 PM
On doubles the solder line is *very* small. parts were fitted very tightly, and the solder wicked in, and any excess removed bfore polishing.

Maybe you could post a pic of what youre doing?