PDA

View Full Version : mil-spec 1911 Q's

Norrick
November 24, 2008, 05:11 AM
i have a para ord pxt hi cap limited. its a nice gun, but a bit too flashy, i feel awkward pulling out this decorative looking pistol and just casually shoot paper.

I was looking at springfields mil-spec and i think my tastes have changed. I just want something that isnt flashy, but i had a few questions.

1) is there any effect on accuracy or reliability having a short guide rod?

2) can you pull the hammer back while maintaining a grip on the gun with one hand ( its nearly impossible on the para, the beaver tail gets in the way)?

3) parkerized of stainless? i'm going for longevity here, I don't plan on concealing this.

Thanks in advance.

alloy
November 24, 2008, 06:53 AM
2) can you pull the hammer back while maintaining a grip on the gun with one hand ( its nearly impossible on the para, the beaver tail gets in the way)?

the only question i can answer....
#2...its no problem.

Chui
November 24, 2008, 06:58 AM
(1) Perhaps theoretically; in practice? NO.

(2) Why do you require the ability to "pull the hammer back"? You do know that it's designed to be cocked and locked, right? The beavertail allows you to get your hand closer to the boreline of the barrel. It's not to be used as you require...

(3) Low Carbon steel is more durable than stainless though stainless has better corrosion resistance. You will have to make the call here.

WESHOOT2
November 24, 2008, 08:22 AM
1) I have one 5" 1911 that becomes unreliable in function when I install short guide rods (oddly, from Springfield Armory).

2) Since the gun is not intended to be operated in this manner, the question is moot.

3) Stainless steel requires LESS care; both can rust. Carbon steel with a zero-rust finish (NP3) is my preferred choice.