PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec .32 and .380

ratdog
November 22, 2008, 05:57 PM
Trying to decide for a small carry gun. What is the better choice? A friend of mine said the .380 kicked alot for a small gun and decided on the .32 as he could keep it under control better for accuracy. Plus the .32 holds one more round. Ammo costs would be a consideration also. What does a Winchester White Box at Walmart go for a box of 100 in 32 and 380?

thug23
November 22, 2008, 06:05 PM
Well personally I went thru this same decision a few months ago and finally I went with a 9mm....KAHR PM9.
I did this because I wanted more stopping power than a .380 or .32
I also did it because the PM9 is very light and really small and easy to conceal.
Now on the other hand, my freind just bought a S&W .38 Airweight Revolver with no hammer, its all smooth and really nice looking....although I haven't fired it yet he says its awesome.

workingstiff
November 22, 2008, 06:07 PM
Goes right where I want it. No worries, 380 all the way.

JBB
November 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
I owned the .32 until my son came for a visit and my P32 followed him home. I bought the P3AT to replace the P32. The P32 is a very nice little gun. Mine was quite reliable and had a slide lock and held 1 more round than the 380. Ammo is more expensive for the .32, but the gun is more pleasant to shoot than the .380. I never felt undergunned with the .32 even though a lot of folks feel that way. I know a lot of people that carry the P32 without a second thought and I don't think anybody would encourage me to go ahead and shoot them since I only had a .32. My P3AT has also been a good little gun that goes with me every day. Like most lightweight automatics, it can be ammo sensitive, and has a bit more recoil than the .32, but I have been completely happy with my choice. It will run S&B FMJ all day without a hiccup and also runs Remington Golden Sabers with no issues. I don't think you can go wrong with either firearm.

Keltyke
November 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
IMO, the 3AT kicks like a drunken mule and is VERY unpleasant to shoot. The P32 is a smallish round for PD, but no one wants to get shot with anything. No one is going to ignore 5-6 rounds of .32 auto at point blank range.

Bottom line - carry what you can shoot.

rogertc1
November 22, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ruger has their LCP...you will have to find one not recalled however. I am sure there are some out there.

Stumper
November 22, 2008, 08:51 PM
I have a P3aT. Yes it is loud and it kicks....and I can bounce a paper cup all over the place shooting it. I didn't choose it for target work and wouldn't really want to burn up 200 raounds plinking with it but it isn't really hard to shoot and I like getting .380 in such a small package.

Scott Free
November 22, 2008, 09:01 PM
I carry a S&W 642. It replaced a P32. I never felt comfortable with the P32, although it was reliable. My biggest fear was big feral dogs or a bad rottweiler. I wanted something bigger so I went with the 642. All this said, a .380 is enough of a step-up in power over a .32 that it's worth the kick. I have shot my father's 3AT a time or two. I didn't think the recoil was a big deal. Go for the .380.

B.N.Real
November 22, 2008, 09:04 PM
Both pistols are known for their ability to be there concealed and out of the way until you really need them.

Both pistols are known for not printing on the outside of the pocket especially in a pocket holster.

I thought about buying the 380 for just that reason.

But remember this,these pistols as well as EVERY OTHER POCKET PISTOL LIKE THEM are NOT meant for target shooting.

They are for very close range shooting.

If you can hit a paper plate at seven yards with all the ammo in the gun,you have fulfilled the mission of that design.

A paper plate is roughly the size of a man's chest.

And,with an extra mag,you can be assured that you have enough ammo to deal with some real bad case situations.

Half the time,just pulling it out of your pocket before the bad guys decide to attack you can make them second guess the wisdom of doing so.

But it has to on you at the time and ready to go to deter the crime in the first place.

Also,to carry it that way.

You must get a concealed carry license.

Otherwise,you better have an open carry holster on your belt (if even that's legal where you live).

Moe Howard
November 22, 2008, 09:30 PM
I recently had to go to pocket carry at work and found myself making the same decision between the same two guns. I went with the P3AT simply because I could actually get a grip on it and the one I have did not hiccup in its only range trip. I shot 100 rounds of Speer Goldot without any kind of trouble, however it may not get shot again for months. Since it is a pocket/carry gun and not a range gun I only shoot what I carry in it, so it won't get shot very often.
I carry it in a Bullard pocked holster and it rides just like a wallet in my back pocket. The holster even came with a pocket mag carrier.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/maximo92f/Firearm%20photos/p3atbullard.jpg

B.N.Real
November 22, 2008, 09:36 PM
A 380 in the pocket beats throwing change at a bad guy every time.

obxned
November 22, 2008, 11:02 PM
The P-3AT does have a bit more recoil than the P-32, but is nothing that an experienced shooter would find objectionable. On the receiving end the .380 is a whole lot more powerful than any .32 load available.

This is not a range pistol. You are not going to regularly fire 50 or 100 rounds in an afternoon with it. It is a serious self-defense tool that places terminal ballistic power over shooter comfort. When you need to deploy it, the last thing you will worry about is getting a sore hand.

Actually, the thing which limits how much I use mine at the range is the cost of ammo. You buy the ammo, and I will enjoy firing a 100 rounds or so in an afternoon.

The only time a .32 would be prefered is for someone really, really recoil sensitive, or someone who thinks that 1 extra round will save the day.

Beansie_Time
November 22, 2008, 11:46 PM
I had the same decision about a month ago but went with the P3AT because there are a lot more personal defense loads available in .380 acp with good stats than there are in .32 acp. More choices in ammo means a better chance of finding one that suits your need.

Keltyke
November 23, 2008, 04:28 PM
The P-3AT does have a bit more recoil than the P-32, but is nothing that an experienced shooter would find objectionable.

Speak for yourself. I AM an "experienced" shooter and I do NOT like the 3AT. I prefer to shoot a gun that is comfortable and pleasant to shoot rather than one that is not. There are much better .380 platforms out there. Let's put it this way: if I cut my arm I have the choice of having it stitched with or without novacaine. I prefer with.

someone really, really recoil sensitive,

And I am not. My carry piece is a .40 S&W. I enjoy shooting my S&W 19 with 158 gr. magnum loads and Colt Defender with 230 gr. FMJ loads. I also like my Taurus Gaucho in .45 L.C. and the Taurus Judge in .45 L.C. and .410 2-3/4" 000.

JBB
November 23, 2008, 06:37 PM
A .44 Magnum is unpleasant to shoot. The P3AT isn't.

DennisD
November 24, 2008, 11:14 AM
I have a P3AT and I don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all (my other handguns are 9mm, .38spl, .357mag, .40s&w, .45acp .45ar & .44mag). I routinely practice with the P3AT at 15 yards and keep the groups within 9 inches with the majority within 5 inches. I find the P3AT surprisingly accurate (at least mine is).

SMITH910
November 24, 2008, 03:01 PM
I just got the P32, had the chance to get the .380 for the same price. An extra round and less recoil (to get the next shot off quicker and more accurate) was reason's I chose the .32.

Jkwas
November 24, 2008, 04:13 PM
Handle both. I went in with the idea I was purchasing a P32, ended up walking out with the P3AT. It just fit my hand better and was just as concealable. It also shoots better than you would think. Points very naturally to target. I put some bicycle tubing on the grip to fatten it up and smooth out the checkering. Works great.

powwowell
November 24, 2008, 07:29 PM
My two cents worth is: Shoot 100 rounds through a Kel-Tec P-32. Then shoot 100 rounds through a 3AT. Write down which one you enjoyed shooting the most. On the next day, shoot 100 rounds through a 3AT, then 100 rounds trough a P-32. Write down which one you enjoyed shooting the most. I predict that on the 1st day of shooting, that most of us would write down the P-32. On the second day, most of us would have gone home after shooting the 3AT. Ain't gone shoot nothing else that day!

I'm not saying the P-32 is a better defense choice than a 3AT. But, it is way, way, way more enjoyable to shoot.

B.N.Real
November 25, 2008, 06:44 AM
The funny thing is-at the time you need them-you are only going to shoot at the most-two full mags of ammo-at near point blank range.

Hopefully not that much ammo will be necessary to stop the event.

Given that you are trying to save your own life at the time and the person you are trying to shoot is trying to kill you-the ONLY REASON you can legally shoot someone-do you want a pleasant shooting gun that fires a round that is known for minimal penetration or a round that is known for decent penetration.

Granted though,a .32 next to a knife is way superior to the knife ( and the bad guy trying to stab you with it).

I am leaning towards getting the .380 and running Cor-Bon powerballs or Golden Saber rounds through it.

I passed up a great deal on a H&K for a gun that could be with me when I need it.

The worlds getting crazier by the day.:rolleyes:

the_pragmaticist
November 25, 2008, 09:39 AM
Could anyone confirm or deny some "gun store lore" on the P3AT? The salesman I spoke with showed me the barrels of both weapons and pointed out that they're almost (exactly?) the same external diameter, and that the milling the cone of the 3AT involves removing all but a few thousandths of an inch of steel from the barrel apex. He said he's seen more than one barrel simply fly out of the front of the gun, having broken off at that apex during firing.

That sounds a little far fetched for a modern firearm - any comments? I will temper the story by noting that the .380 he was showing me was already sold and they had a .32 very much available; it seemed like he might have just been trying to get me to walk out of the store with the .32.

Jkwas
November 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
I am leaning towards getting the .380 and running Cor-Bon powerballs or Golden Saber rounds through it.

Whatever you choose, make sure they run through Your gun. Mine does not like golden sabers at all. they are a little longer and blunt on the ends. The gun you get may like them, but make sure.

CDH
November 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
My two cents worth is: Shoot 100 rounds through a Kel-Tec P-32. Then shoot 100 rounds through a 3AT. Write down which one you enjoyed shooting the most. On the next day, shoot 100 rounds through a 3AT, then 100 rounds trough a P-32. Write down which one you enjoyed shooting the most. I predict that on the 1st day of shooting, that most of us would write down the P-32. On the second day, most of us would have gone home after shooting the 3AT. Ain't gone shoot nothing else that day!

Yea, but...

It's not the enjoyment of the shooter that is the issue. It's more the UNenjoyment of the BG who gets shot that is more important.
The .32 is certainly not a worthless SD round, but there are so many better choices of ammo in .380 that I'll take the extra kick of a .380 any day over the .32 when push comes to shove.

Amendtwo
November 25, 2008, 04:02 PM
I have both the KT .32 and .380. Neither one is unpleasant to shoot. Suggest you choose the .380 - it is more powerful than the .32, and it does not have any inclination for "rim lock" (a problem especially with .32 ACP hollow points). Even in the .380 I recommend using FMJ ammo, for functional reliability and penetration.

dosjoel
November 25, 2008, 06:53 PM
I got the P3AT. I found it is not really a gun per se. I mean it has very limited accuracy, kicks hard, is not pleasant to shoot. And of course it is a .380 which many say is not the best for self defence. It has one great ability and that is concealability.

I got rid of it and got a G26 which is like shooting a full sized hand gun but in a small package.

Jor-el

Keltyke
November 25, 2008, 08:28 PM
It's not the enjoyment of the shooter that is the issue.

The enjoyment of the shooter is EVERYTHING. If someone has a gun they don't like, for whatever reason, they're less likely to carry it. That P32 in the pocket is a LOT more effective than that P3AT on the dresser. First rule of a gunfight - bring a gun.