PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Barrel XCR

Apone
November 21, 2008, 11:29 AM
I have a Robinson Arms XCR, and I like it very well. I want to have the new gas system installed on it and I was considering having a heavy barrel installed at the same time.

What would be the advantages of a heavy barrel?

3006mv
November 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
Save your money and just get the upgraded gas block. The heavy bbl is heavier, I was told the only plus is it may take a little longer to heat up which to me also means that it takes that much longer to cool down. If you really wanted to spend more money I guess you could get a fluted one, that cuts down on weight and may help cooling.

tacweapon
November 23, 2008, 11:13 PM
I have a RA XCR with the new gas system and a heavy barrel, I do like the advantages of the new hand adjustable gas system, but the rifle works fine without it. I am going to get a light barrel for mine, I have had a light barrel then I switched to the heavy barrel and I now plan to switch back, because in my experiance the weight of the heavy barrel is not worth it staying cool longer. I also found very slight if any differance in the accuracy of the light vs heavy barrel, but I dont fire it from the bench unless I am sighting in an optic. I hope this helps.

Heres Mine

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/tacweapon/XCR/100_1084.jpg

Apone
November 25, 2008, 03:26 AM
very nice, tacweapon. What finish do you have on it?

Did you have Robarms retrofit that new gas system or did you buy your rifle new like that?

tacweapon
November 25, 2008, 07:53 PM
very nice, tacweapon. What finish do you have on it?

Did you have Robarms retrofit that new gas system or did you buy your rifle new like that?

Thanks

It is OD Green Duracoat with the ultra flat finish

I bought it with the new gas system. Everything I have read makes it seem that the old system works just fine but the new hand adjustable system is even better.

For more info go to www.xcrforum.com