PDA

View Full Version : M 97 16ga

gemmemk1
November 13, 2008, 03:48 PM
Well I just dropped off my 1939 Winchester M 97 E 16 ga. to have a hot dip blue done. I hope I have not done the wrong thing. This gun has been in my family from the day it was sold new. They only thing wrong is the bluing is all but gone. I don't know where it went as it has not been used that much over the years, I think I must have cleaned and oiled it way. It as good as new other than the bluing and I am going to keep the gun as long as I live and than hand it down to one of my sons to love. What Have done! May the Gun Gods forgive me. The person doing the work is good at it and I am sure it will look very good. It is not just the new look I want, but it is becoming hard to keep rust away and my son may not take care of her the way I have ( might be good ).:confused:

10-96
November 13, 2008, 05:25 PM
My .02 cents worth. Usually discussions about rebluing involve things such as "wrecking value". The way I see it, it isn't your intention to resell it anytime soon. There are some arms in my family that I may inherit some day and I wouldn't bat an eye at having them redone as I don't intend to sell or trade 'em off.

OK, here's the part where we both catch a lot of poop.

gemmemk1
November 13, 2008, 06:15 PM
I feel my 97 is in the $350-400 range as the wood was good but needed redone and the bluing was at less than 50% It is a take down 30" full. choke.
I was told that redonig the gun would not make the price go up, but should sell for about the same. But than I don't care about selling it. I am going to use it.

tacticalmedic
November 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
As long as you are satisfied with it, who cares what anyone else thinks!

hogdogs
November 13, 2008, 07:45 PM
I would love to have the cash on hand to send my 1977 Marlin 336 to the factory to re-blue it and re-do the gold plate on her trigger. I don't care if it helps or hinders the value. Heck will always be worth a few hundred times what I paid for it as I traded a wore out valueless worthless Lorcin .380 for the Lever action and a Maverick 88 under 2 year old with under 3 hundred rounds of light loads thru it...:D So lets say the Lorcin had a value of $50 bucks (it wasn't worth that to me) I guess I paid $25 for the rifle and $25 for the shotgun...
Brent