PDA

View Full Version : Basic AK info for newbie

Dead-Nuts-Zero
November 12, 2008, 03:29 PM
I am NEW to the AR Gun sport. I feel I must purchase a new AR type arm before it's outlawed. Have no idea what I am doing because I never had an interest in them until I was told I may never be allowed to own one.
My main question is the 5.56mm Nato vs .223? Are they equal in any way, or more like a .38/.357, or .44 spc./.44 mag. where one is ok in some chambers?

Just a simple answer if possible, and any reason to go with .223 or 5.56 and not the other etc. I tried some searches but soon became confused.

I think I know the answers here, but want to ask the experts so I understand everything.:confused:

Also have interest in 9mm or .40 carbine rifle that uses Glock mags. Kel-Tec 2000 is one choice, but difficult to find right now. Any comments on these carbines? My reason is I have Glock mags and I load 9 & 40, and sounds like a fun thing to shoot.

OlympicArmsFan
November 12, 2008, 03:40 PM
The black gun is an AR not an AK. If you going with an AR get one chambered for .223/5.56 so you can shoot both. The pressure in the 5.56 round is to much for a .223 rifling.

Also change the names in your post or it will get locked and you have some good questions.

ttman
November 12, 2008, 04:26 PM
lol dat was confusing...

OlympicArmsFan
November 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
Im really new to guns and I tell you its hard to go to a lot of boards and ask question so many will give you a bad answer or be really smart a** about it.

When buying an AR always look to see if its chambered for both the .223/5.56 if it only says .223 you cant shoot the military round 5.56.

Also if you look at guns and they are used or have a no brand name on the receiver take it to a gunsmith if you buy it to have it checked out and to make sure its chambered for what it says it takes. Thats just good safty.

I built an AR-15 and still took it to be checked and I was glad I did. The charging handle had a slight bend in it and caused it to jam. I not only had my worked checked but the kit company work as well.

I dont get caught up in the big names either. Keep us posted and ask away man there are no dumb questions.

Also pm sent to you.

scoobydoo6906
November 12, 2008, 07:18 PM
let me make it really simple 5.56 rifles can shoot both .223 and 5.56. the .223 rifles only shoot .223, got it? I myself would only buy a rifle that's has the 5.56 camber so you can't flub it up. now there is a wylde chamber too, it can fire both also. its basically like a match 5.56 chamber. Rock River Arms is my preferred AR-15

HorseSoldier
July 7, 2010, 03:38 PM
They do pretty good spam, too :rolleyes:

TraceG
July 7, 2010, 03:44 PM
LOL

Looked fried with mayo on white bread...

Even dragged up an almost 2 yr old post!

Been seeing that web addy on a bunch of different forums last week or so.

rickyrick
July 7, 2010, 03:47 PM
I am hungry, want a spam sandwich now, thanks guys

thesheepdog
July 7, 2010, 03:54 PM
I.O. INC makes the best american made AK-47. This rifle is high quality and extremely accurate. You can purchase this ak47 at www.royaltigerimports.com. They also manufacture a .380 pistol if your looking for a backup firearm or a highly concealable gun.

I have seen this same dang post like 4 times!!!