PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger Coach Gun Front Sling Mount

pelister
November 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hello all,
I've just purchased a Stoeger Coach Gun for home defense.

I would like to install a sling, but cannot find a way to install the front sling mount. After searching high and low on the internet, all I could find were the leather "looped" slings that simply hold with tension. I'm looking for something a bit more secure.

Is there anyone who manufactures a front barrel mounted sling mount? I'd ideally like to be 6 inches from the end of the barrel and not in the forearm.

I've figured there would be 2 ways to mount a sling.
First would be to have a gunsmith install a front loop (either weld or solder). Id rather avoid this method if at all possible..

Second is with this sling mount idea I came up with. This would have a thin layer of heat resistant foam between the sling clamp and the barrels. Would this work and is there anyone who could manufacture something like this?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/3021500445_840f39d7e0.jpg?v=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10-96
November 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
I've wondered about that too from time to time. I don't think I care for the idea of putting a swivel on my fore end, and I wonder about these: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13109&title=STANDARD%20SWIVEL%20BASES
I kinda picture setting the rear one flush into the stock, and screwing the front one onto the under-rib with short machine screws and a tad of silver solder to blend the edges of the swivel base with the flat of the rib.

Hope somebody else drops in on this thread.

pelister
November 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
I thought about using something very similar to that for the front mount. My worry is that there just doesn't seem to be enough "meat" on the bottom rib to attach securely with screws alone.

I am unfamiliar with gunsmith techniques and even less familiar with the use of solder on a firearm. Would the solder connection between the gun and mount really be that strong?

In my situation, a mechanical connection (screws) would be preferred over a weld/solder connection. I would use it if there were no other options available though....

I do like the rear mount being held with two screws instead of one.

ebutler462
November 11, 2008, 08:37 PM
Send an email to [email protected]. He will give you the proper advice on how or if it is possible. He charges nothing unless you send your gun to him. He has given me great advice many times.

pelister
November 14, 2008, 11:53 PM
bump