PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Vanguard 7mm mag $400 dollar

Serge302
November 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hello everyone,

I have talked my wife into a rifle for christmas, have about $700 limit on rifle alone. I have looked at the Tikka rifles and really like them. However, I was walking around Wally World stop at the hunting section and saw a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm mag for $400. While I am in the market for a .30-06 or a .308 mostly deer hunting and boar hunting. But the thought of possible future hunts leaves me wondering if this would be a good choice. I have read that the vanguards are pretty descent, and it would leave me with extra x mas cash for glass. I would like to have you input and advise, thanks.

DIXIEDOG
November 10, 2008, 09:04 PM
I had one in .300 Weatherby magnum and liked it. It is a great rifle for the price.

j.chappell
November 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
7mm REM MAG or 7mm WBY MAG?

I am a 308 fan but if you are thinking about larger game than whitetail deer I may lean more to the 06. I am not a big 7 mag fan of any type. I would go with the 06 over either REM or WBY 7mm's.

The 7's will have higher retained velocities, energies, and flatter trajectories.

I just like the versitility of the 30-06. You can load bullets from 110gr to 220gr. That will cover anything but the big bears.

J.

ojibweindian
November 10, 2008, 09:22 PM
I've got a Vanguard in 7mm Remington Magnum and am very happy with it. 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts produce about 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Handloads using 150 grain Hornady Interlocks produce sub-moa groups at 100 yards.

Also, I find recoil to be no worse than a .30-06 or 270.

8t6gt
November 10, 2008, 11:12 PM
If its a Rem mag get it! But if its a Weatherby Mag dont get it. I like the 7mm rem mag alot they shoot good and are accurate. The same for the weatherby mag also but Weatherby caliber ammo is through the roof in the price department. Its probly around 70 bucks a box of shells by now.

handlerer
November 11, 2008, 06:37 AM
I own and reload for a 300 WBY VAnguard and have to say it's the best investment in firearms I have ever made. I have been shooting since I was a small child and have owned several centerfire rifles, but none better than the Vanguard. It is considered by many to be the best value in firearms on the market today. I have owned and fired Rem 700's, Ruger 77's, Win 70's and none of them were as accurate or as solid as the Vanguard/Howa is. The factory target is 7/10's". I can get very close to that. The second centerfire cartride I reloasded for, back in'76 was 7mm Rem Mag, and I loved it! I consider 7mm and 308 cal the most versatile and reloader friendly calibers there are as far sd, and bc and bullet selection goes. I am fascinated by intense, powerful rounds, and 7mm Mag qualifies without being really brutal.

Serge302
November 11, 2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone for your assistance. It is a 7mm rem mag. I think that the 7mm maybe a little too much gun for hunting deer and hogs in Georgia. However, my wife claims that she is not buying any more guns for awhile; so i have to make it good.

j.chappell
November 11, 2008, 09:00 AM
Do not take this the wrong way and I hope you have a lovely and wonderful marriage.

That being said....that is one more reason to not get married.

J.

elkman06
November 11, 2008, 09:08 AM
I too think the WBY vanguard is a darn decent rifle. I would buy it over a Remmy,,sorry Remmy fans. A friend of mine has one and I like it. It is however the WBY magnum so ammo is pricey as heck. You mentioned Tikka. The WBY probably has the Tikka on looks for the money, maybe not in quality though. My friends' Vanguard(german) has the pencil thin barrel type which I don't like. My Tikka 300wm has a lot more barrel on it and still weighs less than the WBY.
To each his own,,good luck with the wife. I pushed my luck last year w/ 5 weapon purchases. About ready to buy some more now.
elkman06

j.chappell
November 11, 2008, 09:10 AM
If I were to receive it as a gift I would rather get the 30-06 over the 7 MAG.

Reasons

Cheaper to shoot. Doesn’t matter if you reload or shoot factory ammunition.
More bullet weights available.
Not as punishing on the shoulder.
Forget your ammunition (this has never happened to me but it has many people) chances are you can pick it up in any place that sells ammunition.
Will kill any animal that the 7mm will just as dead.

These are my opinions other will most certainly differ. Just remember this is coming from someone who really doesn’t like the 06 at all. It actually took me 15 years to bring myself to buy one. I just couldn’t stand hearing "my ott six this, my ott six that, blah, blah, blah". But when I came across a Ruger No. 1B in the 06 for a steal I couldn’t pass it up. I like it and have never felt under gunned when I take it afield.

J.

skifast
November 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
I have the vanguard in 7mm mag. It shoots 1 inch groups. I picked up a $20 Limbsaver Slip on from Chinamart and the recoil is not bad at all.

mackillan
November 11, 2008, 10:03 AM
The 7mm wby mag doesnt kick anything like a 300 win mag. I have it in an accumark. The vanguards design minimizes recoil. A remington is clunky and a tikka is a featherweight recoil machine. It is a much better round than a 30-06. Flat shooter, high velocity etc. At 160 grains you are set for anything except for big african game. Superior to a 30-06. Flat shooting high velocity translates into more accuracy and greater killing power. Mine is one inch at 100 with me not being a very good shot. I have 7mm rem mag in a tikka, sendero and sako and Im a fan of the 7mm mags.

j.chappell
November 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
Flat shooting high velocity translates into more accuracy and greater killing power.

Flatter shooting and higher velocity does not translate into better accuracy! Those traits have nothing to do with accuracy.

As far as "killing power" have you looked into the new Federal High Energy or Hornady Light Magnum loadings for the 06. They basically match the 7mm REM MAG in retained velocity and enery to 500 yards and in a few cases beat it out by a few FPS and FPE.

J.

JayD976
November 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
i have a vanguard in .308 and i love it its a great gun especially for the 400 it cost

ojibweindian
November 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
As far as "killing power" have you looked into the new Federal High Energy or Hornady Light Magnum loadings for the 06. They basically match the 7mm REM MAG in retained velocity and enery to 500 yards and in a few cases beat it out by a few FPS and FPE.

A well-tailored 7mm Rem. Mag. hand load will beat those.

j.chappell
November 11, 2008, 12:17 PM
My point is if you feel you need more than that I'd step up to a 300 class rifle.

J.

BusGunner007
November 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
Good rifle and cartridge combination.
Great price!

The HOWA/Vanguard uses Remington 700 bases, so they're easy to find.
A nice, low power variable scope, maybe a NIKON, would serve for close-up hogs and woods range deer, and maybe even a bit farther.
Even a fixed 4X would work well.

Have fun.:D

8t6gt
November 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
I say BUY IT. 7mm mag is not to big for deer and hog. Just use a light grain bullet and it will be fine. I got a HOWA and I like it. It shoots amazing groups and I paid 480 for it with a scope. Dont be afraid of the 7mm rem mag. Lots of people use them! And the 06 has a bigger caliber bullet btw so the damage on deer is very close to the same. In Michigan here my uncle shoots a 7mm rem mag on deer and I use an 06. If you look at both shots you cant really tell much difference in the wound size. Plus im a huge fan of the 7mm rem mag after shooting his. I gotta buy one now. I found a good price on a Remington 700 sps stainless in a 7mm rem mag so im gonna pick that up

I would be one of those Remmy fans BTW :D

sneaky pete
November 11, 2008, 01:54 PM
old Sneaky here; You mentioned that you were MOSTLY using it for hunting Deer/Hogs so I doubt you will need more than 50 rounds of ammo for the year--the cost of those shouldn't break your wallet. and as far as reloading goes if you aren't going to shoot 600>1000 rounds a year the cost of reloading equipment and cartridge components isn't CHEEP. I spend more than the cost of 2 boxes of ammo on beer for AFTER the hunt--or gas to get where I'm going. I bought a Weatherby Vangard in 30-06 several years ago at WalMart for $350+ tax and security check because that rifle was what they had. The test 3 round target @100 was sub 3/4 MOA but the rifle Wasn't advertised as a sub MOA rifle. I used it once on a Texas Free Range exotic hunt and now it sits in the closet gathering dust. I can't see using that Weatherby 7-MM Rem for a target rifle--Barrel's too skinny. For anyone who cares to compare #s My Sierra Reloading manual shows for the 7-MM Rem mag bullet weights from 100gr to 175gr and the energys 0f 2398ft/lbp for the 120grSP @ 3000FPS to 3498ft/lbsfor the 175SBT@3000FPS-----NOW - for the .308 Winchester- Bullet weights from 110grRN to 200gr SBT the lowest energy of 1915ft/lbs for the 110gr RN @ 2800 FPS to the highest of 2873ft/lbs for the 165grSBT @ 2800 And for the '06--Bullet weights of 110 gr to 220gr Energy 2198ft/lbs for the 110grRN @ 3000FPS to 3238ft/lbs for the 200gr SBT @2700FPS**** NOW I'm only comparing the 7 MM Rem to the .308 WIN and the '06 Springfield . I like the '06 as I was a Garand shooter in the Marine corps--but the 7 MM Rem Mag has more energy and is flatter shooting than the .308 Win. or the '06 Spgd. BUT thats only My opinion and the data is published in the Sierra reloading manual. If you want my advise??? Buy the Vangard in 7 MM Rem Mag and spend the rest of the money on Glass OR Beer. THANX--S/P