PDA

View Full Version : Buying first AR-15

dallas77
November 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
I just want to know what a good AR would be to buy?I will be using it for shooting paper and varmits.I have read good things about some of the popular companies and bad things like bushmaster,rockriver ect.I have not heard much bad with LMT and Colt are the really worth the money?

Chipperman
November 5, 2008, 02:19 PM
The Colt disciples will tell you they are worth the extra money. IMO, they are not, unless you are in a combat setting.

You will hear good and bad about every company. IMO Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS, etc are all fine. Stay away from anything Vulcan/Hesse/Century, and chances are you will be fine.

The bigger decision should be what configuration you want, rather than Brand name. What barrel length, optics/no optics, stainless, stock type, etc.

MAUSER88
November 5, 2008, 02:27 PM
RRA or Bushmaster. They both have nice finishes and work just fine.

Bauer
November 6, 2008, 12:08 AM
The bigger decision should be what configuration you want, rather than Brand name. What barrel length, optics/no optics, stainless, stock type, etc.

How do you go about making this decision when looking to buy your first?

bclark1
November 6, 2008, 12:17 AM
To answer those questions, ask others.

What do you plan to use it for?
Long-range shooters will want extra barrel length. Plinkers who won't take it out that far may or may not. People concerned with home defense or close-combat-type shooting may want a shorter barrel. Barrel will also affect the weight. Stock is a similar consideration.

What do you like?
Both in terms of aesthetics and versatility. Some people think a certian silhouette or stock type or whatever is "cooler." Further, if you like a lot of flexibility for trying different optics and accessories, you might want a flat-top rifle with additional rails. Other people might be attached to the familiar service A2 configuration.

How much money do you have?
Whether to buy "the" brand is not so much the issue here as what can you afford in terms of quality components that go beyond your slapped-together rifle. If you're tight on cash and another $100 can make or break it, you'll probably want to get something with irons to save yourself the trouble of getting an optic (and possibly BUIS) right off the get-go. If you want this rifle to be your biggest and best, maybe you can splurge for the semi-custom model that is configured exactly as you want it.

The nice thing is the ready availability of parts. If you want to change or upgrade your rifle at some point, you can, probably without a gunsmith. Or you can just buy/build two. Or three. Or eighty seven.

BuckHammer
November 6, 2008, 12:19 AM
I shot my friend's Olympic and it is a dream. My only other point of comparison is I handled, but didn't shoot, a neighbor's Colt, and it handled nicely. I realize that I haven't presented a great deal of information, but I hope it helps nonetheless.

sholling
November 6, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm just getting back into having ARs but one of the joys of the AR15 is that you can buy one complete rifle, let's say for example an M4 style carbine, and then later add a target upper. Or vice versa. You can build an entire collection based on two lowers. One with a collapsible stock and one with an A2 style stock.

You can also save money buy buying a kit. I've seen a complete Stag 2H (carbine) upper with stock and lower parts kit for as low as $550. Add $100 for the stripped lower and you have the makings of a complete rifle. Later pick up a $550 6H varmint upper and a match trigger and you have two rifles in one.

NCarolina910
November 6, 2008, 02:49 AM
I did a lot of research online and shot two friend's AR-15's before deciding what I wanted. If you have an opportunity to shoot some, this will be a big help. Not only letting you know what you want, but what you don't want. In my experience Rock River Arms are real nice. So are Colt's, though I'm not sure they're worth the added price tag. I picked up a "gun show" AR-15 from CMMG with a Double Star lower. For the price I paid I couldn't be happier. The gun's performance is what I expected and then some and thanks to my research was exactly what I wanted.

I like what 'sholling' said. AR's are a very customizeable rifle with so many different possibilites. (Another reason I suggest handling as well as shooting them.) My current "evil black rifle" is an A2 20" HBAR with standard A2 buttstock, but I switched it up and went with an A4 upper for adding a scope. I'm already planning my next AR and intend to build my own this time, creating a more M4 style gun with a lightweight barrel no longer than 16" and of course a collapsible stock.

Bauer
November 6, 2008, 04:00 AM
I suppose I will just have to do a hell of a lot more research. Lot's of the terms being thrown around are new to me which makes it somewhat frustrating. I do have a decent amount of time to research being that I won't be buying one for about a year, assuming I still can in a year.

10-96
November 6, 2008, 04:45 AM
Have you considered buyin a basic A-2 lower such as one of the $210-$250 models from RGUNS.com and maybe a A-3 upper? That'll give you the basic platform and give you a basis to start your comparison.

The A-3 upper will be a flat top with 20" bbl which you can use either the carry handle sights or an optical device (scope). For sights, the longer the distance between the sights (called sight radius)- the easier it will be to shoot smaller shot groups. It's a place to start, and later on, you could sell the upper easily at a gunshow or somewhere and put that $$ towards something else. OR, sit on it and it'll be there for your convenience. When using a scope of 6 power or more- you CANNOT see the front sight sticking up in front of the scope.

The standard A-2 lower... Again, this is your basic starting piont. You can upgrade to a space stock or an adjustable stock. If you really get into poking holes in paper- you can pick up the $120 Rock River Arms 2-Stage match style trigger (really, easy install). Once you get to handling and shooting AR's you really get to appreciate the ease in which they can be changed, modified, adjusted, adapted to your preferences.

Whichever parts you get- your old ones still hold value. You can swap for credit towards other parts & accessories, you can swap between shooting friends, or eventually- you may end up with enough to justify building another AR using the leftover parts. And, it's handy that the only part tht has to go through an FFL holder is the lower receiver (the part with the serial number on it)- ALL the rest of it can be shipped to your door. For the money, you can't say that as easily about ANY other firearm. My advice- jump in as soon as you can. Just review the above post about which ones to stay away from.

sholling
November 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
I suppose I will just have to do a hell of a lot more research. Lot's of the terms being thrown around are new to me which makes it somewhat frustrating. I do have a decent amount of time to research being that I won't be buying one for about a year, assuming I still can in a year.My suggerstion is that you buy a couple of stripped lower receivers (lowers) for $100/ea and throw them in the safe for later. That's the part you won't be able to get if there is a ban.

tedwhite
November 6, 2008, 10:58 PM
I just bought a Bushmaster AR-15 today. The local gun shop in Sierra Vista, AZ has been unable to keep AR's in stock. As fast as they come in, they go out. If a gun ban occurs in the future, your pre-ban AR will be a way better investment than the stock market - as in perhaps doubling or tripling in price.

Yesterday the shop had but one AR. I made the mistake today of not calling before I drove over there (25 mile drive from my town) to buy it (a DPMS) but when I arrived it had been sold. While I was commiserating with one of the salesmen (a very good friend) the FED-EX guy arrived with two more AR's. One was the shorter barreled carbine that I bought, the other was a DPMS rifle with the 20" barrel and a regular composite rifle stock that was not adjustable. I was inclined toward the longer barrel, but the stock was too long for me, so I chose the shorter barreled carbine with its adjustable stock. In retrospect I'm glad I did. It's a bit lighter, and the shorter length and the adjustable stock make it much easier to move about in close quarters.

Obviously I haven't shot it yet, but I recently ran 100 rounds through a detective friend's Colt AR-15 with a red dot scope and was amazed at its accuracy at 200 meters. .223 ammo is expensive, but my friend and I reload and that brings the price down significantly.

You can build one, or you can buy a complete AR, which is what I did. As this is my first AR I thought I'd play it safe.

WeedWacker
November 6, 2008, 11:46 PM
I have shot three EBR AR-15's in my life.

First was a used civillianized CAR-15 in the late 1990's. Shot very well although I was 12-15 at the time and had never shot anything with a heavy trigger.

Second was my friends Colt Civie M4. Pulled it out of the box too. Only it kept jamming. Probably needed to lube/clean it a little more before we shot it but after a bit it started performing as designed.

third is my first AR build. Del-ton M4 upper chrome lined 1:7 twist barrel flat top rifle length YHM quad rail over a YHM specter gas block. Lower half is a RRA lower reciever, DPMS fire control unit with tapco carbine collabsible stock :cool: (yes I am very happy with it). Shot it the other day and it performed flawlessly. I only put about 10 rounds through it but it definitely performed better than the Colt did initially.

p.s. early Wednesday morning I blew about $600 on some more evilness to add to it. Will post pics later

NormOps
November 6, 2008, 11:57 PM
Well, I can tell you what I went with after a bunch if looking (though part of it has yet to arrive).
I ordered a complete kit (minus the stripped lower) from Del-Ton. I got the flat top mid length rifle (said to cycle more reliably then the shorter carbine, but without the unwielding length of the standard rifle) with a sixteen inch heavy barrel, and YHM ultra light picatinny forend. everything else was standard or M4 configuration, which ran me $550.
I bought a Double Star lower (they had the coolest logo :cool:;) ) from brownells for about $100.
Del-Ton has a bunch of different kits available, so you should be able to get just what you want.

Eli W.

dallas77
November 7, 2008, 08:27 AM
I want to use optics but a don't won't it to be a long range gun only.I would go with a stainless 16" barrel and adjustable stock.I really want a versatile weapon. Thanks for all of your help still learning!

RT
November 7, 2008, 09:07 AM
I like LMT. You can buy a complete lower and have it shippped to an FFL. Then buy the upper of your choice, BCG, sights, charging handle and handguards-- all can be shipped to your house. Then just put it together, which takes all of 2 minutes. I personally like the 14.5in LMT upper with a permanent flash hider-- if you want a rail just use the Daniel defense Omega rail. I prefer chrome lined barrels.
Magpul makes nice accessories and great mags.
Do your research and remember "Buy once, Cry once"

Chipperman
November 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
For max versatility, I'd get a flattop with a removable handle. That way you can use a scope, or put the handle on for iron sights. You could also use flip up sights on the flat top, but that would cost more than the handle. BUIS (back up iron sights) can always be added later if you want them.

There are a lot of different stocks out there. The A2 stock is generally the most comfortable and stable, but lacks the "coolness factor" of the collapsing stock. In real world terms, most people do not adjust the stock very much. They just slide it in when carrying or storing, and out all the way when shooting. The adjustability really is most helpful when kids or smaller women are shooting, or if you're wearing body armor.

Try to shoot a few different ARs to see what stock you like best. One of the great things about Ars is that you always change anything out that you decide you don't like. Avoiding costly missteps is helpful though, so you can put more money into ammo and mags.

IMO, 16" is the perfect length for max versatility. If you wanted to do a lot of longer range shooting, then a longer barrel might be good, but is then less "handy" is tight spaces.

Daugherty16
November 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm also buying my first AR, for a number of reasons certainly not least because GunBanObama and "Those aint my words" Biden own the govt on Jan 21st. anyway, i called a very reputable local dealer, who started talking about uppers and lowers and buy assembled vs. buy to assemble. So i went where everyone goes when confused - to Google.

Found StagArms, their website and product line is set up to let you immediately see what uppers and lowers are, stripped receivers, flattops, etc.. I highly recommend their website as a learning tool if nothing else. Others here have recommended others.

Good luck. Learning curve seems steep but short. Finding, or building, one you really love may take a little longer but it'll happen. I know Santa is bringing me an AR this year, cause i've been a really good boy (and because i'll be buying it). Everybody says they're just Man-Legos - snap'em together and shoot. Don't forget to stock up on those 30-round mags! They'll be hard to find in February.

Bartholomew Roberts
November 8, 2008, 09:26 AM
First decide what options you want, then worry about the manufacturer/price.

If looking at the vast list of AR options is too much for you and you just don't feel like thinking it out, a midlength flattop 16" AR is probably the most versatile package out there and can do just about anything you can do with an AR reasonably well.

I've done 3-gun style shooting to 600yd shooting with mine.

tedwhite
November 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
I think I made a mistake when I bought my Bushmaster the other day. Mine is the XM-15-E2S with the fixed grab handle and the adjustable butt stock. When I shot it at the range Friday I realized I missed my SKS. Why? It was much easier and faster to acquire the sight picture with the SKS. On the other hand, the Bushmaster is a much more accurate shooter.

I had a choice at the time, the 20" barrel DPMS flat-top with a regular composite non-adjustable rifle stock. With this rifle I believe it would lend itself to mounting an optical sight easier than on mine.

But what do I know at this stage? This is my first AR.

Chipperman
November 9, 2008, 03:33 PM
Just get a flat top upper for the Bushy. Then you'll have two configurations from the same gun. That's the beauty of the AR platform.

Creature
November 9, 2008, 03:37 PM
Just get a flat top upper for the Bushy. Then you'll have two configurations from the same gun. That's the beauty of the AR platform.

Agreed:

Same gun, different set-ups:
http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/12/63/91/01/a1_110.jpg

http://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/12/63/91/01/img_1711.jpg

http://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/12/63/91/01/img_1713.jpg

Flat tops rule...

tedwhite
November 9, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the pics, Creature. I'm so new to the AR-15's that I didn't realize I could just switch them out.

I'll take a look at their website.

denjask
November 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
Try model 1 sales website, lots of info, also AR-15.com

Txhillbilly
November 9, 2008, 10:49 PM
It all depends on what you want in an AR,the sky's the limit on how you can accessorize one. The first one I bought was a RRA 20" Varmiter,and then I built another with a DPMS stripped lower and a complete upper kit from Model 1 Sales. It is very easy to assemble your own and then you can have exactly what you want. The top one is the RRA,and the bottom one is the one I assembled.

ForneyRider
November 9, 2008, 11:16 PM
I got the DPMS Panther bull 20 for $800 recently. Easier to find that RRA and cheaper than RRA or a Bushy. Plus I like the non-fluted bull barrel.

The gunshop added MIAD grip, and I added the YHM pop up sights, and a replacement bolt release(my fault). P-Mags work great and are $13/each w/o the window.

Shoots great.

I pulled my Burris scope and rings off my 7mm Mag and shot a buck yesterday with it. This gun is pretty heavy to tote around much, but I shoot in a stand when hunting.

DPMS is made in St. Cloud, MN. Don't cha know?

wolfsgrin
November 9, 2008, 11:22 PM
If info is what you want then go to the ar15.com website you will read for hours not to pimp another site but that is who i got my info from they have tacked post that cover most of your ? you will ask. As for colt,lmt,bcm they are more milspec over some of the others and that is why they cost more the closer you get to milspec the more testing that goes into each and ever rifle they sell not just one out of a batch of 10-20say. Lmt test each rifle they sell befor you get it that is why on there web page they tell you to expect your rifle to look like someone was handling it cause they do. What i was told is if you are gonna use it for a weekend plinker almost all of the manufactures are ok if you are going to use it to defend you life then you want something that goes bang each and every time. I use the word milspec but really a better word would be more QC standards on your higher end guns.

sorry for any bad spelling

MeekAndMild
November 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
I'm so new to the AR-15's that I didn't realize I could just switch them out.

Actually, you can't just swap all of them out. There are a lot of Colt Sporters out there whose lowers will not fit to milspec uppers without special adaptor pins, costing about $10-20 more.

A long time ago when ARs were new to the shooting world, Colt decided to change the pin size to prevent parts from being illegally swapped from M-16s. So they created what is known as the "large pin" version.