PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm officially confused - bulleye gun

Waterengineer
November 4, 2008, 08:47 AM
Several forums or boards I have been reading, trying to get educated, are using what I believe to be bullseye competition lingo I am unfamiliar with.

Clarification please.

Many writers and gun sellers for that matter are referring to "ball guns" and "wad guns."

I assume they are referring to the large caliber guns they are using, one at 25 yds. and the other at 50 yds. Which is which and if you are shooting 45 for both are their technical differences in the guns?

Thanks for clearing this up.

- Craig

10s&Xs
November 4, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hey Craig,

Both terms refer to .45s used in bullseye shooting.

"Ball gun" refers to .45s set up for hardball (230gr FMJ) ammunition used in EIC (Civilian Marksmanship Program, Excellence In Competition) matches. These guns have open sights, a minimum 4lb trigger, standard slab grips, and no visible modifications from the issue 1911 (aside from adjustable sights).

Side note - the Beretta 92 (M9) when set up for EIC matches (mostly the same restrictions as the 1911) can also be considered a "ball gun" firing 115gr FMJ hardball ammunition.

"Wad guns" refers to a .45 set up to fire semi-wadcutter ammunition, used for conventional NRA bullseye competitions. These have fewer restrictions in terms of sights (red dots are common), grips (thumb rest, palm shelf) etc., and can have a trigger pull of 3.5 pounds.

Both pistols are used at 50 yards (slow fire) and 25 yards (timed and rapid) in their respective matches.

JoeHatley
November 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
Lots of information here: www.bullseyepistol.com

Good Luck...

Joe