PDA

View Full Version : Supress my SIG 556 or Get an M1A?

cgbills
October 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
So I am torn as to if I should Supress my SIG 556 or Buy an M1A scout. I like the idea of Supressing my 556 for several reasons. First shooting supressed weapons are fun. Also I kind of want to customize my 556 fully the way I want it. Last since it is a piston driven AR, it is begging to be suppressed. The one thing is I am not sure if I am 100% comfortable with filling out the paper work and having the Govt have all the knowledge of whats in my colection. If things go south I will be one of the first people they look at. As to the M1A. They are sexy and I have always wanted one. Also I feel I need a .308 battle rifle in my collection:D Any thoughts?

azredhawk44
October 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
Suppressed weapons are cool... you've got a good point...

But I feel they are best served with slow, heavy bullets moving slower than the speed of sound. The .223 is the opposite of that.

The M1A is gonna be one of the next ones on "the list" for the Dem Congress to come after. It's a fantastic piece of hardware with great capabilities. Congress isn't likely to attack the affluent Class 3 community IMO. If you've got $10K for a machine gun or $2K to buy a weapon/suppressor/tax stamp, you have money to burn and give to political opponents.

You'll be able to suppress your Sig for several more years.

SR420
October 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
Get the Scout and a .30 SEI/FEI DC sound suppressor.
Install a GLFS-D-18 and a DC Vortex on the Scout and a
5.56mm DC Vortex on the SIG. Your 1 suppressor fits both.

Caeser2001
October 28, 2008, 04:13 PM
get the m1a

KChen986
October 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
I recently acquired an M1A with a beautiful walnut stock. It exudes a lot of character, a lot like 1911s.

While I love my Ar-15, I think the M1A will be a much, much more fun for years to come.

My .02. Get the M1A :)

MTMilitiaman
October 29, 2008, 09:26 AM
I concur with the majority here. I think NFA owners are pretty safe for at least a couple years.

I say get the M1A, and if you still have the urge to suppress something, suppress it. azredhawk44 has a good point concerning the mass and velocity of projectiles for suppressed weapons. I have to agree that a .30 caliber makes more sense to me suppressed than a hyper-velocity poodle shooter shooting tiny projectiles hundreds of fps faster.