PDA

View Full Version : AK wont run

popeyespappy
October 26, 2008, 07:07 PM
I picked up a lightly used AK back in April and finally got it out to the range for the first time today. It wont run. It fires once. The action cycles, ejects the expended case and chambers a new round but nothing happens when I pull the trigger. It works if I manually cycle the action. I tried 4 magazines and 3 kinds of ammo.

Any ideas? I hate to take it to a smith if its something simple I could fix myself but as this is my first AK I know just about zero about it.....

KChen986
October 26, 2008, 07:15 PM
Same problem with my old Century AK (shop replaced it for me).

You try pushing the trigger forward? Most likely a trigger issue. I had to shoot, push the trigger forward, shoot again, then push the trigger forward.

Try that & see if it's the trigger pack.

SDC
October 26, 2008, 07:21 PM
This is going to take a little bit of work, and a better description of what exactly happens when you're firing; if you take the (UNLOADED) rifle, squeeze the trigger and keep it squeezed, and then cycle the action by hand, does the hammer follow the bolt down, or does it stay in the cocked position? If the hammer follows the bolt down, it means the secondary sear in the trigger mechanism has been dicked with by the prior owner in an attempt to make a full auto, and you need to get a new complete trigger assembly.

popeyespappy
October 26, 2008, 07:37 PM
If I hold the trigger down and manually cycle the action the hammer does not follow the bolt down. It stays in the cocked position.

If I manually cycle the action everything works every time.

chris in va
October 26, 2008, 07:44 PM
Might as well get a Tapco G2 trigger group. Much better and runs about $30.

popeyespappy
October 26, 2008, 07:56 PM
I don't have a problem with replacing the trigger myself if the consensus is that the trigger is the problem.....

Dave R
October 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
I feel pretty confident that the new trigger group will fix it. And you might wind up with a better trigger pull, too.

Back when I visited AK-47.net a lot, people spoke highly of Red Star Arms' trigger group. Its adjustable. No personal experience with it. Just passing on what I read on the Internet.

And you've got to get it fixed! We can't have AKs that wont run. That's just bad juju.

Yithian
October 26, 2008, 09:56 PM
It does sound as if in semiauto, not manual, the hammer is following the carrier forward.
That would be a trigger/hammer/sear issue.

I second the adjustable trigger. It is twice the cost of the G2 but well worth it IMO.

I have 2 AKs with the adjustable trigger.
LOL
Liked it so much the first time, I bought a second.

popeyespappy
October 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
OK I'll replace the trigger group. Now the question is RSA adjustable or Tapco G2? I bought an AK, Hungarian, to begin with because I wanted an ultra reliable semi auto. So my biggest question is will the adjustable RSA tend to be less reliable over the long term than the Tapco?

chris in va
October 27, 2008, 11:08 AM
I haven't personally used the adjustable version, but frankly I really like my G2 and don't see the need to spend double on it considering the platform. Maybe on an AR, but that's just me.

Akgeezer
October 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
My .02, G2 works great for me. :cool:

Nanuk
October 27, 2008, 09:36 PM
Save your money, buy the Tapco g-2 single hook trigger, lightly polish the bearing surface and while you are at it replace the shepherds hook spring with the retaining plate. I show my AK's to guys and they cannot believe the incredible triggers.

popeyespappy
October 27, 2008, 09:59 PM
replace the shepherds hook spring with the retaining plate

Can you provide a little detail on this. This is my first AK.

AK103K
October 28, 2008, 08:34 AM
I have an AK with a RSA trigger in it. Its an early one and wasnt quite "drop in" like they advertised, and it required some fitting, but they have supposedly fixed that now. Once I got it in, I left it alone, and it was very nice as it came. Its a little pricey, but well made.

I havent tried the G2, but would probably give it a shot as I havent heard any complaints and its about half the price of what I paid for the RSA.

Dont waste your money on the retaining plate, unless of course you feel you need to. The shepherds hook is a simple little piece of bent wire that seems to cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. Maybe its just to simple to comprehend. :)

It retains the pins in the trigger group. All you need is a flat blade screwdriver or something similar to remove the hook and the pins. Simply push down on the hook(its like a spring), just ahead of the trigger pin, so the wire clears the slot in the pin, and push the pin out. Pay attention as to how the hook is in there before you start, and how you take things out, and then put it back the same way. Its so unbelievably simple it amazes me at how much trouble it causes.

BTR
October 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
If you are not mechanically inclined (like me) you may wish to use the plate. I did. It is very easy, just follow the included directions.

Of course, if you can use the wire, you'll save $12.

chris in va
October 28, 2008, 11:50 AM
I must be hardcore then. My kit came with the little circlip doodads that were a real PITA to get on. I'd feel better about using that plate...

44 AMP
October 28, 2008, 02:05 PM
Almost as rare as a Glock that jams:eek:! So much for legends! Seriously, very, very little is as good or as bad as it is made out to be. Sorry about your AK not running.

You can take the advice of those on the net who have had similar problems, and tinker with it yourself, and maybe find and fix the problem. Or you can take it to a gunsmith (one who actually knows something about them, if you can find one) and get it fixed. Cost and time are the important factors.

If you swap out a part in the trigger group and that fixes the problem, fine. If it doesn't, you have wasted time and money without gaining anything much, if anything at all. Going to a gunsmith is more expensive (both ways, usually), but you have an implied guarantee that when you get it back it will work. I can't give you any other advice, as I am not AK savy (other guns yes, AKs, no), but I would go to a smith for this one, mostly because I am not AK savy. Your gun, your call. Good Luck. And, please, once you get it running, come back and let us know what it actually was, so we can add to the general info pool.

BTR
October 28, 2008, 05:25 PM
What model AK is it? If new, it may be under warranty.

That being said, replacing the trigger group (with a plate, at least) isn't hard if you pictures to look at.

popeyespappy
February 13, 2009, 06:44 PM
I replace the trigger group today with a Tapco G2 double hook and my AK run fine now.

Thanks for the help!

TheManHimself
February 13, 2009, 07:01 PM
If it was a Century, the trigger problem is likely a factory issue, not an attempted conversion. The Century trigger groups are notorious for being out-of-spec, typically in a way that results in painful trigger slap, failure to fire, and occasional doubling. A good bit of advice on AKs is that if you get one with a CAI trigger group, replace it immediately with a Tapco or RSA unit. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches that way (And due to BATFE's recent decision that a defective rifle doubling constitutes a machine gun, you'll also eliminate a source of potential legal trouble down the road).

chris in va
February 13, 2009, 09:24 PM
And due to BATFE's recent decision that a defective rifle doubling constitutes a machine gun, you'll also eliminate a source of potential legal trouble down the road

Wrong. It wasn't defective, the owner altered it to fire multiple rounds with a single pull.

stubbicatt
February 14, 2009, 09:10 AM
I've heard of RSA's doubling and tripling, which would be really unfortunate due to both safety and legal implications.

AK103K
February 14, 2009, 09:46 AM
I've never had any issues with my RSA trigger firing more than one round a time. It is an 'adjustable" trigger, and perhaps for those who had troubles, it was a user generated error with adjustment. They can be set fairly light, and without a "stage".

I recently did pick up a Tapco G2 trigger. Its OK, but I wont buy another. I'll spend the extra for the RSA. The Tapco did go in pretty easy, but its pull is kind of crunchy, and it actually has a "set" trigger feel in one respect. There is some crunchy slack take up, and then a let off. If you take up the slack and stop, the next time you touch the trigger, its a very light let off. This can be a little disconcerting if your not ready for it, and I had a friend let a couple of rounds go without intention. Maybe it will clean up and work in, but so far it hasnt.

TheManHimself
February 14, 2009, 10:46 AM
Wrong. It wasn't defective, the owner altered it to fire multiple rounds with a single pull.

If you believe the final court decision on the issue. I don't go for that constructive intent BS. The owner lent it out, it started double firing, was found to have "M16 trigger parts", (which well could have meant M16 parts modified to semi-auto, which is perfectly legal, but the media would never let that get out), ATF called, BAM. Short of a confession, we'll never know who actually modified the firearm, or if it was in fact a mechanical failure, but the dangerous precedent is that if you are the owner of a title I firearm that fires automatically, the court system will convince a jury of firearms-hating idiots that you "constructively intended" to make a machinegun.