PDA

View Full Version : TFL Members 1st Annual Mammal Killin' Get Together!

Rob Pincus
May 11, 1999, 04:56 PM
Okay, what I mean to say is:

Who would be interested in booking a hunt with some other TFL members this fall?

I know that not everyone hunts nor does everyone check the "Hunt" forum, so I am posting this here.

Beginners would be welcome, as would couples.

I am thinking $750-$800 dollars for a 3-4 day hunt. That would include lodging, Meals and license. It would include 1 deer per day, doe or Buck. I am thinking South Carolina.. in the low country, where any weapon goes, Rifle, pistol, bow, xbow, shotgun or muzzle loader.

The place I have in mind has room for 14-16 people, and that pricing probly depends on us having at least 10 people. WE might have to get creative if we make it a couples hunt, with a couple rooms for the guys and a couple rooms for the girls, as each room has about 4-6 beds.

Anyone Interested? (BTW- I mentioned this place to Rich and he is interested, so count us for two at least, we might bring our women with us, depending on what others want to do.)

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 11, 1999).]

Mikey
May 11, 1999, 05:54 PM
I've been looking into Wyoming antelope but already missed the first draw.

What's the trophy potential in this area. I've got two small (14" spread) 8-pointers mounted as a pair. Would like a bigger centerpiece.

Mikey

Rob Pincus
May 11, 1999, 06:02 PM
I am going to the same place in August, while the deer are still in Velvet. The property's policy on taking deer is that each hunter gets one "Buck of choice" for the entire hunt, then he can shoot as many "Cull bucks" (deformed racks or spikes) or 8 points+ as he wants (within legal limits). An * pnt+ is defined as the hunter being able to indentify at least 3 vertical tines on a side, the assumption being that the deer will also have a horizontal (brow) tine and that the other side will match.

Obvisouly, there are no guarentees, but I have known the guy running the operation for two years and he has either guided or managed at lodges in the same area for several years. He assures me that it will be no problem for any but the most jaded hunter to get a nice trophy.

Scott Evans
May 11, 1999, 06:49 PM
Great idea!

If I can get away from the business I’m in. Can you narrow the date ?

Rob Pincus
May 11, 1999, 07:40 PM
I was thinking Mid-October, 20-30th or somewhere in there. Perhaps early to middle November also....

Mikey
May 11, 1999, 09:35 PM
Rob,

Keep me informed about the particulars. Just sighted-in a new Ruger No.1S in 7mm mag and it needs christening.

You have my e-mail and may have my address from the FOUP but you can get it if you need it.

The only time that's out for me are the first two weekends in October - IDPA Nationals and IDPA Tennessee State Championships. I can plan around most anything else.

Mikey

Rich Lucibella
May 19, 1999, 08:53 PM
Rob-
Consider my arm twisted. Let's do it!!!!
Rich

Rob Pincus
May 20, 1999, 08:50 PM
optimal dates for me would be October 21-24, 1999. This also coincides nicely with the opening of the regular gun season for deer in South Carolina. Where we will be hunting is in the Low Country, where the season starts earlier. The start of the season in Northern SC will mean less pressure on the area we'll be hunting.. and might encourage a cheaper rate from the lodge. It looks like the cost would be right around $800 for a 3 day hunt, IF we get about 10-12 hunters. The price would likely be as much as $1200 if we only have 4 or 5.

------------------
-Essayons

TENFAN
May 21, 1999, 09:31 PM
Hey Rob, is the 10mm a legal deer caliber in South Carolina?

Rob Pincus
May 21, 1999, 09:38 PM
yes, in fact, I plan on using one.

------------------
-Essayons

Mikey
May 22, 1999, 01:45 PM
Rob,

The dates fit my schedule and, if we can go for $800 or less, the cost isn't too far out of my range.

Can you get some info to us on restrictions on type and caliber of firearm and other legalities? Or a contact for same?

How many interested so far?

Mikey

Rob Pincus
May 22, 1999, 02:06 PM
We will be hunting in South Carolina's "Low Country". they have some pretty unique hunting regulations. It is really my kind of place. Last week I was told in all seriousness by the Chief of the SC DNR that, if you could legally own or make them, it would be legal to hunt with Landmines in the low country.

There is NO restriction on weapons, capacity, ammo, or any other thing. In the past, they had at least one guy who used to snare deer and then dispacth them with a .22 handgun.... 100% legal in the low country.

I am going down their in August, for a hunt while they are still in Velvet. It is one of the only places in the country where you can do that legally. I wil be hunting for 5 days and hope to take 4 deer with 4 different weapons, The limit is 2 deer per day, though the lodge further restricts hunters to one deer in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I will probably be using the Scout, a Horton Crossbow, a Knight Muzzle Loader and either a .460 Rowland converted handgun, or, more likely, an RT Glock Prototype 10mm.

------------------
-Essayons

rabbit assassin
May 22, 1999, 02:22 PM
If I'm rich by October I'll be in it. Seriously there is about a 1 in 10 chance of me getting back to the USA this year. If not this definitely next, so make it a regular event.

------------------
Earn Money and become an affiliate at www.gun-center.com/ezine/affiliate.html (http://www.gun-center.com/ezine/affiliate.html)