PDA

View Full Version : Do LEO's need to read pistol manuals?

VinnyT
October 22, 2008, 05:28 PM
Just received a Glock 22 from Buds. These are police turn-ins. Came with night sights, (3)15rd mags, box, manual packet, etc. Gun looks brand new. All for $399 shipped.

Anyway I noticed that the manual envelope was never opened. Is it required for an LEO to read all literature about the gun when it is issued?

I was just curious...

rogertc1
October 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
Naw they just turn LEO loose on the street without any training what so ever. They don't even have to qualify..

Brian Pfleuger
October 22, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'd guess it's a strong possibility that they issue new manuals when they resell the gun.

Tom2
October 22, 2008, 05:34 PM
I will bet, that they get general handgun training in their academy, and when they get new guns, perhaps the armorers give a presentation and training to the officers, maybe they get videos etc. that the average civilian does not have access to. Or maybe your gun was not issued and was in the armory for some time before the trade in? Or something like that. No, I don't think they get a new gun and just stuff it in their holsters without extensive training.

Destructo6
October 22, 2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah, LEOs get a lot of training on their current-issue sidearm at their respective academies.

When there is a transition to a new weapon, the local firearm instructors (those that administer the qualifications courses) hold a class on that new weapon, then the LEOs qualify with it prior to going out on duty with the new weapon.

IOW, the manual is not really needed for many LEOs.

nalioth
October 22, 2008, 06:17 PM
When Glock (or whoever) buys back LEO pistols(or gets lease returns/ whatever), they put new manuals in the box, locks, etc before they redistribute them.

MrNiceGuy
October 22, 2008, 07:36 PM
i dont think i've actually ever opened any of my guns manuals....

but i'm not LEO

if they are properly trained and have no questions, then there would be no reason to open the manual.

Texas Solo
October 22, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evidently it's not required by the DEA. They're not ALL qualified to carry a Glock "fotay"

Erik
October 22, 2008, 09:37 PM
"Is it required for an LEO to read all literature about the gun when it is issued?"

The factory's manual, actually included with the individual firearm? No.

It is, however, very common for agencies to cover the material in the manual in another form; i.e. an agency specific manual, inclusive of the relevant parts of the factory manual plus some.

antsi
October 22, 2008, 10:44 PM
Most gun manuals I have seen had a lot more "lawyer talk" in them than info of use to actual shooters.

Rich Miranda
October 22, 2008, 11:13 PM
It has been said already, but even if they do have to read the manuals, they probably read the same ones over and over, since not all officers will be in training at once. Why open every single manual when you can open just enough?

JohnKSa
October 23, 2008, 02:06 AM
I still read the manual for any firearm I purchase before I shoot it and before I even handle it much.

Nanuk
October 23, 2008, 05:43 AM
Ok, be honest here, most of us cops can't read anyway, we just look at the pretty pictures. I really thought that it was osmosis.... The longer you are near the gun the better you shoot it.:p

Billy Sparks
October 23, 2008, 06:07 AM
Whether or not LEOs read the manual is moot. The manual you received is a new one from Glock more than likely. As far as public safety folks (fire, EMS or LEOs) when we get stuff we have a inservice training on them as opposed to "Here read the manual".

guypowell
October 23, 2008, 02:54 PM
You know, I never knew what this thing that I'm carrying is called, until now. So, it's a Glock 22?? Thanks!:eek:

VinnyT
October 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
So, it's a Glock 22??

Good thing I started this topic, huh?

:rolleyes:

bcarver
October 23, 2008, 05:00 PM
At my department Glock parts are:
1 frame
2 slide
3 barrel
4 spring
5 magazine

All other parts are "off limits" to all officers except armourers.

We can however assemble/disassemble them blindfolded while being pelted by flung brass and pebbles by a slobbering Drill Instructor.

James K
October 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
Nalioth is correct. Unless the gun was bought directly from a police department, it was likely taken in trade by Glock, checked out, rebuilt as necessary and refurbished. Then a new manual was put in the box.

But the others are correct. LEOs receive training in all aspects of the job, including keeping their firearms clean and ready, but they really have no need to read the manual.

Golly, bcarver, in my short period as instructor, I never slobbered. (Usually because I was scared spitless by the students.)

Jim

Striker071
October 23, 2008, 11:20 PM
Well when we transitioned from the Glock to the H&K .... our firearms instructor painstakingly went over every page of the H&K manual.... glad I had coffee that morning..lol

hknut
October 24, 2008, 12:27 AM
LEO's should read the manuals of ALL makers. I can't stand watching zcops and seeing them mess up the clearing proceedure of the perps choosen pistol.

fbrown333@suddenlink
October 24, 2008, 12:46 AM
No, as was stated they get training on the duty gun (now I am not knocking police officers in general ) but I have seen a few that scared the he!! out of me when I watched them trying to clear a firearm. They had no clue as to how it worked and it was almost a mirror image of the weapon they where carring:eek: not to mention where the muzzle was pointed! Can you say self inflicted wound?
I have many friends who are officers and they are very gun wise. JMO but I think that officers should get more training on weapons other than the duty gun,and more range time with FREE AMMO!
Knowledge is power. I try to learn as much about as many firearms as I can even if I don't own it, who knows I might own it some day or need unload one :D

Striker071
October 24, 2008, 05:20 AM
Well what most people don't realize is that a large number of people in Law Enforcement in the US wish they lived in the UK and never had to carry a weapon at all. If you have a interest in firearms ... you end up being called tackleberry or worse and are considered a threat to some officers. Hand most LEO's a open bolt weapon and they would be lost and not realize the weapon is hot. Dont think that LEO's can shoot either most just scrape by on qualification day. Remember I am not flaming LEO's. I am one myself. I am one of those people that is ridiculed because I enjoy shooting. But I am also thinking tactically all the time and some of my co-workers look at me as if I have 3 heads. So a lot wont read the manual because they would rather use the weapon as a paperweight.

.357SIG
October 28, 2008, 09:52 AM
+1 to Striker's post above. :o

WC145
October 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
If you got one that looks new you got lucky, a lot of guns take a beating getting carried everyday. I know that SIG rebuilds their trade ins and then sells them as "certified" with a warranty, maybe Glock does something similar.

I bought a trade-in Mossberg 590A1 a couple of years ago that looks like it never left the armory. I know by it's condition it never did any time in a cruiser. Anyway, I got a hell of a deal on a practically new shotgun because it was a trade-in.

JohnH1963
October 29, 2008, 08:03 AM
Im not an attorney, but wouldnt it make sense from a legal standpoint if the department has the officer read the manufacturer's manual? Of course, the officer is going to receive some type of training from a qualified firearms instructor, but still thats not the same as reading the manual.

I know the manual of any weapon will probably contain information that is already known and maybe redundant, but I can imagine a plaintiff attorney questioning the officer "Officer Smith, did you read the manual that came with your weapon?". Then the officer says no and it looks to the jury as if the officer simply took his Glock out of the box and placed it in his holster.

I think it would make sense for the manual to be read and the officer sign some type of statement that the manual has been read. I dunno if this makes sense to others, but it makes sense to me...

Erik
October 29, 2008, 10:20 PM
Uh... Have you folks read any manuals lately? They don't reveal much, certainly nothing in the way of when to shoot what, where, how, etc.

I challenge someone to provide a manufacturer's manual which does more than provide the basic, and I mean basic, information about the operation, take down, and recommended cleaning and maintenance procedures for a given arm. Oh, and waste pages on legalese and CYA handling and storage advise most here would disagree with, of course.

Erik
October 29, 2008, 10:21 PM
On a related note, do military personnel read the factory supplied manuals, or are they provided with branch provided material?