PDA

View Full Version : coyotes and 22s

jimbo_4
October 15, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've been reading on here that a 22 is not a good rifle for coyote. I want to try to start hunting coyotes here in Michigan, I can use my .223 during the day. However, at night is a different story. Michigan rules are as follows:

Only a .22 or smaller caliber rimfire rifle or handgun, or shotgun with loads other than buckshot, slug, ball or cut shell, or bow and arrow.

So my 223 is out of the question at night... being it's centerfire. I'm figuring on getting a 10/22 this weekend. My question is would the following ammo be sufficiant in taking down a coyote at probably not more than 100 yds. I don't think at night even with a light I could shoot with any accuracy any further than that. Even that may be pushing it. This is the fastest heaviest round I could find:

cci velociter 40 grn GLHP

velocity/energy

muzzle 1435/183
50 yds 1230/134
75 yds 1149/117
100 yds 1084/104

I don't typically have trouble hitting where I want, I'll have to get used to the rifle to make sure I can hit where I want. Just want to make sure this round will be able to do the job at less than 100 yds.

Brian Pfleuger
October 15, 2008, 07:01 PM
.22LR is marginally sufficient even at close range, 100 yards is too far with a .22LR IMO.

.22mag or .17HMR (.17 only with JHP or FMJ, poly-tips will not penetrate) would be better but even then, only head shots. Rimfire is a silly rule, severely limiting effective round choices.

You're going to want the round with maximum MOMENTUM, not necessarily kinetic energy. Both would be good, momentum is paramount in this situation.

Ac1d0v3r1d3
October 15, 2008, 07:02 PM
Have you looked into a 22MAG? Its rim fire 22. It would also give you a little more range which might be nice. But then again at night i dont know how far you'll beable to see anyay.
good luck with whichever you choose.

mrawesome22
October 15, 2008, 07:11 PM
The people who made that rule must want a lot of wounded, suffering, coyotes.

Brian Pfleuger
October 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
The people who made that rule must want a lot of wounded, suffering, coyotes.

AH! That pesky law of unintended consequences!

"Center fire rifles ain't safe at night, Bob."

"We'll just make 'em shoot with rimfires!, Jeb"

"Good idea, Bob."

...a few months pass....

"What's with all these here 3 legged 'yotes, Jeb?"

jimbo_4
October 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
I had thought about a 22 mag, but I had a Marlin 25MN that wasn't too accurate. I've also heard other people saying 22 mag wasn't so accurate either. If I could find a 10/22 in a mag, that would be great but I'm not too sure they make them. Kinda leaning towards the semi auto though, that's why I considered the 22lr. The rule is a pain, loved the comment about the unintended. My choices, pepper it, wound it, or lose untold numbers of arrows into the night.

Art Eatman
October 15, 2008, 07:44 PM
I went out coyote hunting one night with a guy who was making a living by his trapping and hunting. He'd call a coyote in to some 15 yards and take a head shot with a .22 Mag rimfire. 100% effective.

The odd bit, to me, was that he'd leave the motor running in his truck. His notion was that coyotes aren't particularly scared of cars/trucks, and the motor noise masked any unwanted human noises besides the caller...

It worked okay, that night: "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

j.chappell
October 15, 2008, 08:10 PM
I must be lucky, I have a 25MN and a Model 783, both of which flat out shoot.

I have two favorite loads; Federals 50gr. JHP and Winchesters Supreme 34gr. JHP. If you are worried about penetration you could always use the FMJ laods from any manufacturer.

I have dispatched more than a few fox using a 22 mag, none of which really moved. All shots were vitals. I know a coyote is a completely different animal but a well placed shot in the vitals or head should take care of it. I'd stay away from any shoulder or neck shots. You dont need much penetration on a smallish dog sized critter.

L_Killkenny
October 15, 2008, 09:15 PM
No, a .22 LR is not enough gun to legally harvest coyote. Period. The .22 mag is on the bottom and only marginally acceptable. Fox and coyote are in whole different worlds. Coyote is 5 times tougher than any fox.

Go with the shotgun. Using the right loads and chokes extends the range of a 12 ga to 50 yards. Maybe a touch more. Even the few of you that think a rimfire is "enough" for coyotes can argue that they are "still enough" beyond the 50 yard range of the shot gun.

Don't have a shotgun? Go get yourself a $100 single-shot.

Go here for the best predator hunting info on the net: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

LK

indy245
October 15, 2008, 10:06 PM
I have shot and killed coyote with my Lakefield, Cooey (spelling ?) and 10/22 rifles at my house usually around the barn and corrals at close range. Not farther than 30 yards.

As every thread labeled 'is this ".xxx" caliber enough to kill this "animal"' has concluded the shooter has to do his part. Not a hard shot at that close.

I use Home Hardware Winchester bulk ammo for the most part but sometime splurge for the good stuff.

I have yet to shoot one at night, it is usually dawn or dusk that I will get them.

I agree a shotgun at night might be a better option unless they come in close and you have adequate lighting to get your sights on target.

Indy.

taylorce1
October 16, 2008, 06:31 AM
No, a .22 LR is not enough gun to legally harvest coyote. Period.
I've killed a couple of coyotes with the .22lr when I was in my teens, shot both at about 30 yards and neither made 50 before they died. I'll agree it is a little less than ideal but not legal? I'm pretty sure most States still count coyotes as small game and don't have too many restrictions on calibers and energy requirements for them. I could understand an ethical dilemma about using the .22lr but I doubt that it is illegal. Besides we know it is legal in the OP's State.

I have .22 WMR rifles in a Savage 93 and Marlin 25MN that both shoot very well. My rifles like the Federal ammunition with the 30 grain Speer TNT hollow point. I've never shot a coyote with either but out to 100 yards I'm sure it would get the job done quite nicely.

jsmaye
October 16, 2008, 07:36 AM
You're going to want the round with maximum MOMENTUM, not necessarily kinetic energy.

In this case, aren't they the same?

jsmaye
October 16, 2008, 07:40 AM
I've also heard other people saying 22 mag wasn't so accurate either. If I could find a 10/22 in a mag, that would be great but I'm not too sure they make them.

.22 WMR is very accurate.

Ruger made a 10/22 WMR until 2005 or 2006, I think. They still pop up on auction sites

j.chappell
October 16, 2008, 09:00 AM
If I were limited to shot sizes under Buck Shot, a bow, or a rimfire it would definitely be a 22 Winchester Magnum. I have no problem hitting a baseball sized object within reasonable range.

I would however stay away from a 10/22 unless you are buying one that is a known shooter. If it were me I'd go with Marlins 983. It is a tube fed rifle that holds 12 rounds, can be had in 3 different stock/finish options and Marlins are known for there out of the box accuracy compared to the 10/22.

Yes a coyote is not a fox, as I stated earlier he is a completely different animal, but a broadside shot to the vitals or the head with a 22 Mag will put him down.

I have dispatch more than a few wild running dogs while small game hunting to know that you can easily take a 60 pound canine with even a 22LR. Now of course you are not going to bust his shoulders and drop him but you already know your limitations so why would you even attempt a questionable shot.

Smaug
October 16, 2008, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a yote with a 22LR.

Mine is a Ruger 77/22 and shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yds. A stock 10/22 is not this accurate. You might reconsider and go with a bolt action.

I headshot a squirrel with HP 22LRs and it took the whole side of his head off. Based on that, I wouldn't use HP ammo on coyotes. It may not penetrate deeply enough. Lung, heart, or head shots will be fine.

hogdogs
October 16, 2008, 09:11 AM
If I am just killin' yotes I would hit 'em with a .22lr. But as a sport yote hunter I would use a .22 mag. They will do a fine job with a vital shot if you are using jacketed ammo.
Brent

Brian Pfleuger
October 16, 2008, 09:58 AM
In this case, aren't they the same?

They could be, hence my "not necessarily" qualifier.

A larger, slower bullet could have less KE but more momentum than a smaller, faster bullet. Momentum is the cause of penetration. The difference between various .22LR rounds may not be significant but if I HAD to use a .22, I'd still go with the round with max momentum at the range I was expecting to shoot.

SBD
October 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
The kinetic energy of a body is equal to half its mass multiplied by the square of its speed.
The momentum of a body is equal to its mass multiplied by its speed.

Isn't physics fun?

Water-Man
October 16, 2008, 10:29 AM
The CCI Velocitor is a great round for the coyote.

L_Killkenny
October 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
Sorry, my post was suppose to say "ethically" not legally. It's more than legal.

I'll also add that when I'm out and about I'll shoot a coyote with what ever gun I have. 22LR included. But for intentionally hunting coyotes no rimfire is enough IMHO.

LK

NWCP
October 16, 2008, 11:44 AM
Sorry, it's .22WMR or better for me and the better would be preferred. The .22WMR will do the job. I have a Winchester 9422M that's more that accurate and works just fine at close ranges. I prefer using my .223. I don't hunt at night.

Brian Pfleuger
October 16, 2008, 11:45 AM
The kinetic energy of a body is equal to half its mass multiplied by the square of its speed.
The momentum of a body is equal to its mass multiplied by its speed.

Isn't physics fun?

I didn't mean the math was the same, I was responding to a remark that I took to mean "isn't the effect the same" and the effect can be the same or at least indistinguishable in certain situations.

To clarify, two bullets could have equal KE but vastly different momentum. The proper choice is based on, for example, if you are shooting an Elk or a Water Buffalo.
More to the OP's question, if you're forced to use a caliber that is marginal the number that matters most is momentum.

crowbeaner
October 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well now, let me tell you that song dogs are alive and well here in the snowbelt. I just spent 4 nights under the moon and stars, and was serenaded every night. Unfortunately, you can only have your muzzleloader with you (no other firearms in yours or anybody with you's possession) here so you have to dedicate your hunting to coyotes specifically. When ML season ends Saturday and rifle season opens, I plan on having the rimfire in the car for a bit of after dark shooting. I shot a button buck for freezer meat on Monday; I'd like to get another, but time draws short and momma has some chores for me. I'll have to wait for the late (read COLD) season now. I don't have a 22 mag., so I'll have to tote the Model 60. Head shots only; no pelt damage and I can use the extra dough for powder and shot. I wish the DEC would figure out that 22 centerfires would work better, but they don't trust those of us who pay their salaries.

MR4SHOOTIN
October 17, 2008, 01:24 AM
No, a .22 LR is not enough gun to legally harvest coyote. Period. The .22 mag is on the bottom and only marginally acceptable. Fox and coyote are in whole different worlds. Coyote is 5 times tougher than any fox.

Go with the shotgun. Using the right loads and chokes extends the range of a 12 ga to 50 yards. Maybe a touch more. Even the few of you that think a rimfire is "enough" for coyotes can argue that they are "still enough" beyond the 50 yard range of the shot gun.

Wrong. The .22 magnum is plenty good to kill coyotes and shotguns are for critters that have feathers.

SBD
October 17, 2008, 03:02 AM
I didn't mean the math was the same, I was responding to a remark that I took to mean "isn't the effect the same" and the effect can be the same or at least indistinguishable in certain situations.

To clarify, two bullets could have equal KE but vastly different momentum. The proper choice is based on, for example, if you are shooting an Elk or a Water Buffalo.
More to the OP's question, if you're forced to use a caliber that is marginal the number that matters most is momentum.

Oh sorry I wasn't correcting you, the physicist in me got excited when you mentioned energy and momentum. :D

JoeFromSidney
October 17, 2008, 04:32 PM
Last summer my wife and I parked our RV on her property in CA. A coyote had been grabbing the renters' puppies. It also came by our spot to get the small critters that came after spilled birdseed.

One day I saw it not 20 feet from the RV. I slid a window open and shot it with a gold dot 230-gr from my .45. I know I hit it, because it jerked. It ran off. It never came back, so I guess it died, but I was very much surprised that the .45 didn't drop it.

Buzzcook
October 17, 2008, 05:35 PM
I'd go back to the rule book and double check whether they meant .22 centerfire. .22lr wouldn't be my choice unless they were close enough to spit on.

jughead2
October 17, 2008, 08:35 PM
ruger does make or did a 10/22mag

cchardwick
October 17, 2008, 10:20 PM
I actually have a Ruger 10/22 in 22 mag. It shoots dead straight and all around my property I hit 99% of the ground squirrels on the first shot, and the only ones I miss are the ones where I'm standing and don't have a good stance or jerk the trigger instead of squeeze. It has amazing power, it will literally rip a chipmunk in half! Keep in mind that the 22 mag limits the accessories that you can get for the 10/22 like high capacity magazines. I have yet to find any mag in 22 magnum besides the standard mag for my 10/22. If you are limited to rimfires I think this is the most power you can get. I love my Ruger and it's the gun I use the most, although I don't really like trying to put together the bolt and spring after a cleaning (it's hard to put back together). But I've never ever had a jam or misfire!!

I think it comes down to shot placement. You can hit a coyte in the leg with a cannon and it won't kill it LOL.

Bird3897
October 17, 2008, 10:26 PM
I thing a good pellet gun would work. say..... 835 mossberg with 3.5 mags:D

jimbo_4
October 17, 2008, 10:58 PM
I wish the rule were different, but I'll post the entire "nightime" hunting rules. I'd love to use my .223, but the rule says not at night. My only guess is they want very short range shots only, probably 50yds max, more like 35yds or less.
Here's a link direct to Michigan DNR page.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10880-31621--,00.html

thallub
October 18, 2008, 07:46 AM
No, the .22LR is not a "proper" coyote rifle. Yes, i have killed coyotes with a .22LR. Most were killed while i was rabbit hunting.

mrawesome22
October 18, 2008, 08:38 PM
If I read that right, you can't even use a scope:eek: