PDA

View Full Version : nylon 77 fail to feed.

rem870hunter
October 11, 2008, 01:33 AM
my dad bought a used nylon 77 (.22 lr) last year. he took it to the range to fire it ,it would feed the first round. fire, the action would cycle, but 9 times out of 10 not pick up the next round. 2 days ago he took it mostly apart and cleaned it. hes not a gunsmith, but is competent with his firearms, we went to the range this friday afternoon, and it did the same thing of cycling but not feeding the next. tried using some of the other mags and different ammo (remington and winchester). thinking that maybe it was a weak mag spring or ammo. some of the other mags, 2-3 of them are brand new. even tried the 5 i have here for mine. 2 of which are new.

he has 2 other nylon 77 he bought back in the 70's( brand new) have not had any problems at all. mine has had no trouble other than with remington thunderbolts,sometimes federals. i've put about 500 rounds through it in the last 7 months. and still functions fine. the most it may have had before i took it here was maybe 200.

anyone know what the problem is, or what it may be?

Dfariswheel
October 11, 2008, 06:05 PM
Could be the magazine is fouled or defective.

Try different ammo, try cleaning the magazine, try a new magazine.

rem870hunter
October 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
he has tried some of the brand new in package mags,and some of the older mags. from the 2 rifles he bought brand new back in the 70's. as far as ammo tried so far remington thunderbolts,winchester wildcats both 40 gr. solid nose. forgot that i had some federal 40 gr. solids in my ammo bag,didn't try them yet. our first thought was a bad,dirty,or weak mag. but to have anything of the like with 3-4 brand new in package mags be like that. sounds impossible. the older mags maybe,but with the brand new ones.

my nylon feeds and fires wildcats fine, federals has had a few that didn't fully clear the action upon ejection.